Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Moved: 

Making hardcore

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 6

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Caller
Starting Member

United Kingdom
11 posts
Posted - 2009/07/29 :  19:50:39  Show profile Send a private message
hey guys

basically i love hardcore and i love the different variations of music that can be produced through hardcore which leads me on to my question to you in myself asking for help and advice.

its been a dream for a while now but since being at uni iv had to put it all on hold but i really would like to start actually producing hardcore but i have no idea how to go around starting????

do you know any software i can purchase or programs that i can use to produce music to a professional level, what can i do to start my love for music into a hobbie???

Thanks Caller

But hardcore is a way of life

Alert moderator

Edited by - Triquatra on 2009/07/29 21:55:31
Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2009/07/29 :  20:01:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
You will need a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) to start with popular ones are Cubase, Reason, Logic & Fruity Loops. After that you will need some VST's (Virtual Studio Technology). Depending on what style you want to make you'll need a few different types of VST. Also grab some samples which you can find all over the net with a bit of searching.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Caller
Starting Member

United Kingdom
11 posts
Posted - 2009/07/29 :  21:05:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Caller's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:
You will need a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) to start with popular ones are Cubase, Reason, Logic & Fruity Loops. After that you will need some VST's (Virtual Studio Technology). Depending on what style you want to make you'll need a few different types of VST. Also grab some samples which you can find all over the net with a bit of searching.

cheers man big help, is it expensive and where can i get VST's from???

thanks again

Caller
Starting Member

United Kingdom
11 posts
Posted - 2009/07/29 :  21:07:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Caller's homepage

thanks again

ChrisDale

United Kingdom
420 posts
Posted - 2009/07/29 :  21:40:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ChrisDale's homepage
quote:

thanks again

http://flstudio.image-line.com/ - Fruity Loops
http://www.propellerheads.se/ - Reason
http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/musicproduction/cubase5_product.html - Cubase 5

have at look them. there is a lot more out there, but they are the most popular.

not to sure for VSTs

Edited by - ChrisDale on 2009/07/29 21:41:18
Andy Digi

United States
46 posts
Andy Digi has attended 1 event
Posted - 2009/07/29 :  21:43:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Andy Digi's homepage
Good DAWs are

Ableton Live 8
Cubase
Logic
Pro Tools
and there is always Fruity Loops Studio which is good for starters...

Good VST, vsti

Nexus
Vanguard
Vengence,
Novation V station
Albino
dblue glitch
Z3ta, can sound like a Access Virus
tons of free ones out there..

A good drum machine for you daw would be:
Native Instruments Battery.

You will need good computer with at least a intel dual core 2.0 ghz + processor and 2 + gigs of ram....a good sound card (not a soundblaster but a production one) and a decent set of studio monitors..and 1 or 2 20+ inch monitors

thats what I use anyway....just depends on what you want to use....others opinions will differ...hope that helps..

Edited by - Andy Digi on 2009/07/29 21:43:55
Caller
Starting Member

United Kingdom
11 posts
Posted - 2009/07/29 :  21:52:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Caller's homepage
thanksguys for all your help on this subject

but if you have to pic one DAW which one would it be???

thanks again

caller

Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2009/07/29 :  21:53:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Caller:
thanksguys for all your help on this subject

but if you have to pic one DAW which one would it be???

thanks again

caller

That's down to personal taste. Try out a few demos and see what sticks with you.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2009/07/29 :  22:08:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Cubase would be a good starting point, it's the industry standard in electronic music.
Logic stopped existing for the PC ages ago so you can only get it for the mac if you want a newer version.
Pro Tools is mainly for just tracking audio, it's midi implementation is pretty bad and the program isn't designed for midi-only usage.

Yateszy

United Kingdom
82 posts
Posted - 2009/07/29 :  22:23:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Yateszy's homepage
I started off with FL Studio (fruity loops was it's previous name) and I have never seen the need to change. It's very simple to work with once you get to know the basics, but look up some tutorials to get you going first. Use the FL Studio demo, it has no restrictions except the fact you can't save your project, but it lets you try everything in the software for free.

Then I recommend you purchase the Producer Edition as it lets you do automation which is very important, so don't get the Express or Fruity Edition as they are restricted. The XXL version just has extra VST's such as Sytrus which are good but you can find many free VST's on the web so I suggest you get the Producer Edition. You also need sample's (instrument sounds), you can try out Vengeance Essential Clubsounds.

Meathead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
4,217 posts
Posted - 2009/07/29 :  23:15:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Meathead's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Caller:
hey guys

basically i love hardcore

So much so regular font wasn't enough to express it ;)

As has been said a DAW is a personal choice. Try the demos, Cubase doesn't have a demo version so.... be craetive ;). I'd personally recommend Cubase as i wasn't keen on Fruity, but again it is down to you. Few VSTs i'd recommend; Massive, Circle, Z3ta (never too keen on this but others love it), V-Station (as with Z3ta) but my personal favourite synth would be Sylenth1. Highly recommend that baby.

For samples type this into google: "?intitle:index.of? wav bass"

Replace "bass" with whatever you are searching for IE kicks, snares etc and "wav" with whatever file type you're after.

Good luck. Oh and if you're going down the entirely legal route, once you're finished testing the "demo" of Cubase and buy it if you so wish, yes producing is quite expensive but worth every penny IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Digi:

Why just for starters? Pros have been known to use FL and yeild pretty good results. It's the user not the DAW that ultimatly decides whether the outcoming track is of good quality. No such thing as beginner, intermidiate and advanced DAWs.

"Music creates order out of chaos; for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous." -Sir Yehudi Menuhin

Caller
Starting Member

United Kingdom
11 posts
Posted - 2009/07/29 :  23:27:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Caller's homepage
wow guys thanks alot for all your help

im complelty blown away with wat to do now bar from trying the demos and saving up some money

which in my eyes is not that bad considering i was wanting to play a single instrument like drums, guitar or watever you can be spending up to thousands where as 400 quid is nothing

but right now i am greatful for all your help towards newbs, just lost where to start like all peeps lol

but i promise you now i will make music and hopefully one day it might just get played

all the more help poss i would be really greatful, legal or non (to save pennies)

many thanks

caller

Sendaii

United Kingdom
80 posts
Posted - 2009/07/29 :  23:37:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Sendaii's homepage
If you can afford it, grab the Vengeance Essential Clubsounds sample packs. They are a worthwhile investment, sound great and really speed up the production process as you aren't messing around with presets, trying to get the sound that you want.

http://www.vengeance-sound.de/eng/SampleCDs.html

Good luck

Hardcore | Hardstyle | Jumpstyle

Edited by - Sendaii on 2009/07/29 23:42:51
CiALiN
Advanced Member

Ireland
535 posts
Posted - 2009/07/30 :  00:26:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit CiALiN's homepage
hi caller and welocome lad

id suggest useing fl studio for a start anyway...its really user freindly and youtube is crammed so full of tutorials ull have the basics in no time..kev willow tutorials will be such a huge help..im not saying fl is the best...but is quite user freindly..especially for a beginner

vengeance essential clubsounds and the fx sample packs are seriously useful..id say there isnt a production out there that doesnt use them

for vsts nexus is great but is really expensive and is alll presets so wouldnt be great if you want to learn about synthesis....v-statin,z3ta and sylenth1 i recommend highly...but that being said u can get amazing free vsts that do the same job

hope that helped

http://www.myspace.com/sirsimpleton

http://www.youtube.com/cialino00o00o

Andy Digi

United States
46 posts
Andy Digi has attended 1 event
Posted - 2009/07/30 :  00:34:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Andy Digi's homepage

quote:
Originally posted by Andy Digi:

Why just for starters? Pros have been known to use FL and yeild pretty good results. It's the user not the DAW that ultimatly decides whether the outcoming track is of good quality. No such thing as beginner, intermidiate and advanced DAWs.
[/quote]

As I stated its a good choice for beginners wanting to learn, never stated it just for beginners ...sure plenty of professionals use it....

Caller
Starting Member

United Kingdom
11 posts
Posted - 2009/07/30 :  00:48:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Caller's homepage
again guys

massive help thanks for making this hapen, for most supportive peeps thank you

but just a quick one does fl let me save my work????

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 6 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.77 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page