Total online 2078
 Radio listeners 171+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Tracks, DJ mixes & release announcements

Clubland X-Treme Hardcore 8 - Tracklist!

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 10

Author Thread  
Skidzorz

Canada
299 posts
Posted - 2012/01/14 :  07:33:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Skidzorz's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by NekoShuffle:
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by warped_candykid:
quote:
quote:
And Neko, just because it doesn't fit YOUR idea of "happy", doesn't make it any less Happy for someone else. There was so much more experimentation in the 90s; there was piano-led HHC & synth-led HHC, yet it was still labled HHC.

Okay so industrial hardcore is happy hardcore too as that makes people happy and it's hardcore.

No Neko, I'm talking about tracks such as "You & I" and many others on the upcoming album.

I don't think that's happy hardcore either. That's just upfront. It's not a happy sounding track, therefore it's not happy hardcore. The electro makes it too aggressive to be happy hardcore IMO. Happy Hardcore is hardcore that is soley based around sounding happy. Which that track isn't. It's the same as a lot of the diva vocal tracks aren't happy hardcore either, the vocals are too melancholic and sad, and the chord progression isn't uplifting.

Stompy - Forever Hardcore = Happy Hardcore if you want an Upfront example. Nobody in the UK uses the term Happy Hardcore to describe anything post 2000 anymore. It's just Hardcore to us. Happy Hardcore is almost exclusively a 90s thing to most. I personally think that there's upfront hardcore which is happy but the diva vocals stuff and the aggressive electro tracks aren't, and most if not all people at a rave would agree.

happy hardcore may be called hardcore to y'all, but to the rest of the world it is UK hardcore, and hardcore refers to what the UK calls gabber. I don't see the point in labeling anything happy hardcore anymore, as like you mentioned everything post 2000 is not really that "happy", so no sense in getting worked up about it or instigating arguments about what should or should not be called "happy hardcore" these days.

EDIT: and what's in bold is not necessarily referring to you, so don't get all defensive about it.

I actually agree, really I don't think the offbeat bass and trancy synths used nowadays just don't translate happy very well at all. There are a few tracks out there but I think the stabs of the 90s and bouncier kicks were much more of a happy sound. I label happy hardcore as such because for the most part I only like the happy hardcore, I'm not really too interested in the UK Hardcore stuff.

Could you point me into the direction of what you think is happy hardcore nowadays? I just thought that HHC and UK hardcore, atleast now in 2012, were just both used as overall terms for hardcore. I didn't realise they were different at this point.

And **** American spell check telling me that realise is spelled wrong.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
NekoShuffle has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/01/14 :  15:06:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skidzorz:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
And Neko, just because it doesn't fit YOUR idea of "happy", doesn't make it any less Happy for someone else. There was so much more experimentation in the 90s; there was piano-led HHC & synth-led HHC, yet it was still labled HHC.

Okay so industrial hardcore is happy hardcore too as that makes people happy and it's hardcore.

No Neko, I'm talking about tracks such as "You & I" and many others on the upcoming album.

I don't think that's happy hardcore either. That's just upfront. It's not a happy sounding track, therefore it's not happy hardcore. The electro makes it too aggressive to be happy hardcore IMO. Happy Hardcore is hardcore that is soley based around sounding happy. Which that track isn't. It's the same as a lot of the diva vocal tracks aren't happy hardcore either, the vocals are too melancholic and sad, and the chord progression isn't uplifting.

Stompy - Forever Hardcore = Happy Hardcore if you want an Upfront example. Nobody in the UK uses the term Happy Hardcore to describe anything post 2000 anymore. It's just Hardcore to us. Happy Hardcore is almost exclusively a 90s thing to most. I personally think that there's upfront hardcore which is happy but the diva vocals stuff and the aggressive electro tracks aren't, and most if not all people at a rave would agree.

happy hardcore may be called hardcore to y'all, but to the rest of the world it is UK hardcore, and hardcore refers to what the UK calls gabber. I don't see the point in labeling anything happy hardcore anymore, as like you mentioned everything post 2000 is not really that "happy", so no sense in getting worked up about it or instigating arguments about what should or should not be called "happy hardcore" these days.

EDIT: and what's in bold is not necessarily referring to you, so don't get all defensive about it.

I actually agree, really I don't think the offbeat bass and trancy synths used nowadays just don't translate happy very well at all. There are a few tracks out there but I think the stabs of the 90s and bouncier kicks were much more of a happy sound. I label happy hardcore as such because for the most part I only like the happy hardcore, I'm not really too interested in the UK Hardcore stuff.

Could you point me into the direction of what you think is happy hardcore nowadays? I just thought that HHC and UK hardcore, atleast now in 2012, were just both used as overall terms for hardcore. I didn't realise they were different at this point.

And **** American spell check telling me that realise is spelled wrong.

Look in my sig, or youtube: NekoShuffle's Kandykast. I live for happy hardcore, and my kandykast is basically just a mix to show people that there's still happy hardcore out there being made so I can get some interest back into the genre and encourage people to buy it, spin it or dance to it at raves. The mix is monthly and features happy hardcore from that month so it's all ultra-modern, and doesn't dig up the past.

People in the UK stopped using the term Happy Hardcore towards the end of the 90s. The music wasn't really as happy anymore and also the scene changed a lot and became more 'clubby' so calling the music 'happy hardcore' didn't really seem very macho and the new clubbers wouldn't like it. It sounds like a silly reason but there is a big 'macho' vibe running through the scene. The UK hardly EVER plays Happy Hardcore anymore, it's too happy and cheesy for the new ravers, they like HARD HARD HARD and DIRTY FILTH, not happy melodies and so on. Once a little while back, I heard Triple J at a rave - I went absolutely crazy, I've never heard any other Happy Hardcore since then and I've raved up and down the country.

I'm moving to Toronto soonish because the music played here just isn't happy enough for my liking. I've gotten a lot of requests for bookings and so on, but I always get told 'oh, but you can't play anything cheesy' because I'd clear the dancefloor if I did - and I'm not taking a booking to play music I don't like, so I end up turning down the offer.

Happy Hardcore is hardcore music which is happy. Some people get vocal hardcore and happy hardcore confused because the happy hardcore era had a lot of vocal tracks, but before there was vocal happy hardcore, happy hardcore was happy bouncy techno-sounding stuff that Hixxy and others used to make on Essential Platinum - stuff like Steam Train, Toy Town, Frantik, Lullaby, Wizard of Oz etc. At the end of the day, Happy Hardcore is Hardcore which is Happy. Some is vocal-led like Triple J, some is bouncy and vocal-less like early Bonkers, some of it is VERY childish sounding and cheesy like Dune and a lot of the dutch happy hardcore...some of it is even happy breakbeats like Vibes and Wishdokta or Jimmy J.

d2kx

Germany
127 posts
Posted - 2012/01/14 :  15:11:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit d2kx's homepage  Reply with quote
NekoShuffle, I'd love to hear what you think...

I am with you in that most modern hardcore and especially the electro-driven tracks are not "happy" in the sense that you smile so much it's almost laughing. I don't think this is necessarily bad, because the happiness of a track is not connected to whether it's fun listening to it. To give some examples: upfront hardcore, Psytrance, Hardstyle, etc. can be really fun to listen to due to the melodies used, atmospheres created or associations that come up with a track, but the track itself might be "serious" and not "happy" at all. On the other side, the 90's happy hardcore, let's just use Toytown here as an example, is the perfect definition of what you will agree is "happy", but if you didn't listen to it back then (and I didn't, not the UK stuff), it probably won't work for you today. I for example couldn't appreciate tracks like Toytown, or Stompy - Forever Hardcore which you named, and it doesn't make me happy nor smiling. A lot of Hixxy's tracks including the newer ones like "I'm Hardcore Till I Die" (due to the vocal!) or Sora Blue (even without any vocal!) on the other hand make me smile a LOT and trust me I am not smiling very often.

Regarding the Happy Hardcore vs. UK Hardcore... the sound changed a LOT in the early 2000, enought to justify the name change. Outside of the UK or Netherlands people will just refer to the newer sound as Happy Hardcore, we say UK Hardcore, it just depends on who you talk to and does it really matter? The exact same discussion like the Happy Hardcore vs. UK Hardcore one can be found for Goa (90's) vs. Psytrance btw..

Also, yes I am aware that you are the worst example I could have possibly picked because I think I remember that you've said you only got into the 90's happy hardcore sound when it was dead already/some years ago, which is the only time I have ever heard this. Being German, I adore the tracks from Dune but that's it.

NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
Posted - 2012/01/14 :  15:31:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by d2kx:

I am with you in that most modern hardcore and especially the electro-driven tracks are not "happy" in the sense that you smile so much it's almost laughing. I don't think this is necessarily bad, because the happiness of a track is not connected to whether it's fun listening to it. To give some examples: upfront hardcore, Psytrance, Hardstyle, etc. can be really fun to listen to due to the melodies used, atmospheres created or associations that come up with a track, but the track itself might be "serious" and not "happy" at all. On the other side, the 90's happy hardcore, let's just use Toytown here as an example, is the perfect definition of what you will agree is "happy", but if you didn't listen to it back then (and I didn't, not the UK stuff), it probably won't work for you today. I for example couldn't appreciate tracks like Toytown, or Stompy - Forever Hardcore which you named, and it doesn't make me happy nor smiling. A lot of Hixxy's tracks including the newer ones like "I'm Hardcore Till I Die" (due to the vocal!) or Sora Blue (even without any vocal!) on the other hand make me smile a LOT and trust me I am not smiling very often.

Regarding the Happy Hardcore vs. UK Hardcore... the sound changed a LOT in the early 2000, enought to justify the name change. Outside of the UK or Netherlands people will just refer to the newer sound as Happy Hardcore, we say UK Hardcore, it just depends on who you talk to and does it really matter? The exact same discussion like the Happy Hardcore vs. UK Hardcore one can be found for Goa (90's) vs. Psytrance btw..

Also, yes I am aware that you are the worst example I could have possibly picked because I think I remember that you've said you only got into the 90's happy hardcore sound when it was dead already/some years ago, which is the only time I have ever heard this. Being German, I adore the tracks from Dune but that's it.

I'm with you 100%. I'm a BIG fan of Goa, Psy and Darkpsy - they make me happy, and make others happy. But the producers don't sit down and say "Lets make this darkpsy song really happy!". Whereas with Happy Hardcore the basic premise is a nice happy vocal with some uplifting happy melodies around it, it's the key element of the genre.

The terminology doesn't matter to many people apart from me, I came into the Hardcore world listening to Happy Hardcore, there's a lot of UK Hardcore I like, but if it was to completely vanish tomorrow without a trace - I wouldn't care that much. Someone who primarily likes UK Hardcore won't understand the fuss between the two genre names, but as someone trying to bring back Happy Hardcore and make it into it's own genre I make a very clear distinction between UK Hardcore and Happy Hardcore - it's just a personal thing really.

d2kx

Germany
127 posts
Posted - 2012/01/14 :  15:52:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit d2kx's homepage  Reply with quote
Now this is completely offtopic now, but let me take a guess: you're a fan of Suntrip Records?

NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
Posted - 2012/01/14 :  16:14:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Now this is completely offtopic now, but let me take a guess: you're a fan of Suntrip Records?

Hahaha yes absolutely! I love E-Mantra

warped_candykid
Advanced Member

United States
3,959 posts
warped_candykid has attended 5 events
Posted - 2012/01/15 :  04:26:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit warped_candykid's homepage  Reply with quote
Ok...I give.

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2012/01/15 :  05:07:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Ok...I give.

On what?

MAtRiCks
Advanced Member

Canada
1,059 posts
MAtRiCks has attended 1 event
Posted - 2012/01/15 :  08:13:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit MAtRiCks's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

Hey man, glad to see you made the jump from ush to here!

I'll pass on the eternal debate about ukhc vs hhc, but I'll say I'm relatively pleased with the tracklist for CXH8, and I look forward to discs 1 and 3. The sample for disc 1 that DS put on soundcloud has got me hyped, and I havent been let down by Hixxy once yet since CXH1.

Edited by - MAtRiCks on 2012/01/15 08:15:00
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,153 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/01/15 :  08:27:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage  Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure d2kx was here once before

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

d2kx

Germany
127 posts
Posted - 2012/01/15 :  17:13:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit d2kx's homepage  Reply with quote
6-7 hours to go now. For those interested, I am told that it will be distributed globally on iTunes from the start this time, not only in the UK store.

MAtRiCks
Advanced Member

Canada
1,059 posts
MAtRiCks has attended 1 event
Posted - 2012/01/15 :  20:00:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit MAtRiCks's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
6-7 hours to go now. For those interested, I am told that it will be distributed globally on iTunes from the start this time, not only in the UK store.

Do you know if it will be available in unmixed format like volume 7?

DJ Lawlzy
Advanced Member

Canada
520 posts
DJ Lawlzy has attended 3 events
Posted - 2012/01/15 :  20:02:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Lawlzy's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by MAtRiCks:
quote:

Do you know if it will be available in unmixed format like volume 7?

Wasn't that an accident?

don_simon3000

Austria
342 posts
Posted - 2012/01/15 :  20:45:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit don_simon3000's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

hmmm... i pre orderd the album on amazon and it wont be delivered here before 24th january.
how much is he price on itunes? i basically would prefer the cds as i plan to not only go legal in that regard but also want to start a collection (showing the cds in a rack makes more impression imho ;) ) but if they are off -30% or so for buying on itunes, i might do it so.

edit: do i get the time right? it would be now 2 hours or so, midnight? :)

Edited by - don_simon3000 on 2012/01/15 20:49:10
Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2012/01/15 :  21:09:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by don_simon3000:
quote:

hmmm... i pre orderd the album on amazon and it wont be delivered here before 24th january.
how much is he price on itunes? i basically would prefer the cds as i plan to not only go legal in that regard but also want to start a collection (showing the cds in a rack makes more impression imho ;) ) but if they are off -30% or so for buying on itunes, i might do it so.

edit: do i get the time right? it would be now 2 hours or so, midnight? :)

ClXH7 was I think $11 last year. And yeah, it may have been an accident they were unmixed. I bought it, checked back a couple weeks later, and they had taken it off ITunes.

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 10 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.38 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page