Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Question on eq frequencies and layering

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  16:20:49  Show profile Send a private message
Hi, if you have a four layer bassline with diff frequencies, what frequency does the layered sound then occupy?
Im having difficulty with the eq side of things and things just arnt clicking in my head atm. I have lots of problems with muddy music and if i turn volumes up nothing changes.
I only just clicked how to layer after six months of experimenting.

Alert moderator
dj_deano
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,023 posts
dj_deano has attended 5 events
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  16:43:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit dj_deano's homepage
Simplify it. Instead of using 4 sounds, use 2 or 3, one high (Treb), one mid and one low (Bass) Make the low really low so it only really kicks in when its played loud. Too much going on in one area and you get phasing or muddyness.

I used to do a sub, a higher octave of the same sub and a screechy high pitched sound to give it a faster, harder sound. Experiment, but dont try and use too many different sounds in the same range.

HTTP://WWW.REACTION-EVENTS.COM

Alert moderator Go to top of page
dj_deano
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,023 posts
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  16:44:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit dj_deano's homepage
Another tip for a fatter bass.

Use a subbass on Say C1 and the same note on C2, will give it a nice warm, fat sound.

Muddiness is nothing to do with volume. its about sounds in the same range cancelling eachother out.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  16:51:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
True. BUt if im using vengeance samples and nexus att the sounds should in theory be eq,d to the right frequency. But this isnt always true. I have to drop off the bottoms on the hats and rides i also drop the bottom off everything exept kick and bass. There are a lot of conflicting stuff on the net about eq and layering like a big secret. Also how do the prows all get their tracks sounding the same. Cleareness and definition

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  16:53:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
I usualy use a 3-4 layer bass have one with the bass still in tact and drop the bottom off the second bass and add a treble layer with the bottom removed and one without

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  16:54:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
It really depends what you are trying to achieve. For a typical UK Hardcore bass this is what I do.

Sub Layer - Generally this takes up the area below 200hz. I put a low pass on the EQ anywhere between 200 - 130hz normally depending on the kind of sound I use for the mid layer.

Mid Layer - I use two EQ's on this. The first one I use to cut the low and high end away leaving all mids mainly around the 500hz ish mark. I then add distortion if needed (which it usually is as I tend to make my own bass sounds and not use samples). Afterwards I cut the low end away again (very important or you get awful phasing) and also roll a fair bit of high end off.

The first EQ is making sure that the distortion is happening in the range I want it to effect and the second EQ is just to remove what I don't want after the distortion has filled out the sound a bit more.

Top layer - Take out all the low, most of the mid and roll a bit off the high end usually. Sometimes I'll add some stereo effects to this if I want to make the bass wider or if it needs more seperation from the mid layer.

quote:
Originally posted by electrogen:
True. BUt if im using vengeance samples and nexus att the sounds should in theory be eq,d to the right frequency. But this isnt always true.

There is no "right frequency". things need to be shaped to fit in with the specific track.

Edited by - Audio Warfare on 2012/02/23 16:57:05
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  16:58:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
I tend to do what ever comes out but trying to do hard hardcore nEarly gabber

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  16:59:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
What i meant was samples esp vengeance are usually already compressed eqd etc so shouldnt need doing

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  17:08:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by electrogen:
What i meant was samples esp vengeance are usually already compressed eqd etc so shouldnt need doing

Just because someone has already compressed or EQ'ed a sample it doesn't mean it doesn't need additional work to make it fit your track. There is no one sample that could possibly fit the infinite track possibilities.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  17:16:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
Oh ok ill have to listen to nexus presets aswell for what treble sound are like lol i havnt got a clue tbh

dj_deano
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,023 posts
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  17:26:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit dj_deano's homepage
Dont use Vengeance bass notes as they will sound shit when you move out of C.

Use VSTs for basslines and dont use samples, it sounds shit when you move out of the note it is supposed to be in.

Shorten your kicks and layer them so they dont overlap the bass or you will get a build up of white noise / artifacts which will muddy your mix.

PRACTICE and use youtube as it is a wealth of free info.

dj_deano
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,023 posts
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  17:27:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit dj_deano's homepage
What AW is trying to get at is you can use any sound at all, if you strip the top and bottom off it leaving the middle, you have a sound to layer with a bass.

No point layering 2 sub bass's together.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  17:29:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
I find nexus is good for bass dunno if u used it or not

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  17:31:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
I always shorten the kicks and bass gets chopped too.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  17:34:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
I also pan the ride to left and hat to the right at about 36 and adsr them

dj_deano
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,023 posts
Posted - 2012/02/24 :  08:52:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit dj_deano's homepage
I used Vanguard for bass. Dont listen when people diss vanguard, its shit for leads but has one or two really really good bassline presets. Cant remember what they are called though.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.33 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page