Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - other genre
 Moved: 

Electronic, a joke?

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
TheOneNOnly
Advanced Member

United States
1,937 posts
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  02:57:20  Show profile Send a private message
Okay so I was out with a few of my friends today, and a couple of them invited their other friends along that I don't know.

So things are going well, we're all getting a long. Then the subject of music somehow comes up. So I proceed to tell them what I listen to, and all I got where blank looks and laughs.

Then I explain the different genre's withing Electronic music, and how things work in it, etc. And again all I get is laughs.

All they would keep saying is things like "People listen to Techno?" It's not just Techno.. "Lol Techno is so stupid" It's not just Techno... "Techno is for druggies that can't listen to real music" ...

So I basically started to think, why do people really consider Electronic music as a joke? Of course the people who listen to it don't, but people who are strict other genre listeners just make fun of it. In most cases those hard metal heads make fun of Electronic music more then Rap/Hip Hop...by a lot.

It's probably waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different in Europe; actually it is. But America sucks for listening to this type of genre, really. Good thing I couldn't give a shit what they said anyway, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

Oh, and found this:

And now some irony:

/rant

The Past, The Present, The Future (CD One)
The Past, The Present, The Future (CD Two)

Alert moderator

Edited by - Underloop on 2009/08/04 11:03:30
DjSakari

United States
383 posts
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  03:07:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjSakari's homepage
Awh man, Henry Rollins is usually a cool guy :[

Alert moderator Go to top of page
TheOneNOnly
Advanced Member

United States
1,937 posts
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  03:08:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TheOneNOnly's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DjSakari:
Awh man, Henry Rollins is usually a cool guy :[

Not this time.

He even made fun of DJs.

Lorenzo.Tweakn
Advanced Member

United States
1,327 posts
Lorenzo.Tweakn has attended 2 events
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  03:11:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lorenzo.Tweakn's homepage
id hang that hick

DjSakari

United States
383 posts
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  03:14:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjSakari's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo.Tweakn:
id hang that hick

Not a hick, he played a major role in the American Hardcore scene, and is an icon for that.

As for making fun of DJs, that's just ******** because he just doesn't understand it lol.

TheOneNOnly
Advanced Member

United States
1,937 posts
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  03:29:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TheOneNOnly's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DjSakari:
quote:
Originally posted by Lorenzo.Tweakn:
id hang that hick

As for making fun of DJs, that's just ******** because he just doesn't understand it lol.

He ignorant.

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  03:38:29  Show profile  Send a private message
look up ac slater - rave music or the oli g remix ftw

Dj Roz

United States
36 posts
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  03:58:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dj Roz's homepage
Hooray for the second video!

And yeah, the usa isn't as big on the whole electronic genre. :(

Jester MC

Canada
284 posts
Jester MC has attended 9 events
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  04:12:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Jester MC's homepage
ya ive heard this sampled in a track b4....this makes me SO F UCKING MAD! not because he's ignorant. because that's not his fault, and he's gone farther out of his way than most people to make sure he isnt. he loves music and he believes he's doing music a service by "exposing" how "shitty" rave music is. its the worst when he sarcastically says how he just must be too old and over the hill to understand, when he actually IS!

i think people who grew up before electronic music had a chance to influence them at all in any way, will never quite understand it at best. My own father, who is now wealthy enough to fund himself as a recording artist purely for fun on every instrument (just making the point of how much he's into music), loves that im into music that is a different, or from a certain point of view, experimental, for when he was growing up he thought the same about his music. but as far as the actual MUSIC goes. i know he doesn't really like it. he RESPECTS it, as a music lover, and truster in the youth and their music, but it really just sounds like weird noises to him. it is tough when the entire history of music is played live on instruments, and you grow up listening to and watching people play on instruments, and then synthesizers, and effects, and mixing, and djing, popes up, completely different to anything before it by a much wider margin than most inovations, save possibly the electric guitar, and you already have a definition of 'music' burned in your brain, to except what edm... cough, techno... is i difficult at best....so he's wrong and it pisses me off, but i get why he see's it that way, AND i dont think anyone with a view like his will ever change.

Edited by - Jester MC on 2009/08/04 04:13:41
DjSakari

United States
383 posts
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  04:37:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjSakari's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Jester MC:
must be too old and over the hill to understand, when he actually IS!

Don't blame age. My dad is 44 and still goes to Warped Tour. I even showed him the Defqon 1 2009 recap video, and he told me we have to go to the next one. Speaking of which, you think I'll be able to get away with a fake ID there? I'll only be 17 when the time comes.

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  04:51:07  Show profile  Send a private message
people associate it with drugs due to the media. also look at what kind of edm makes it on the airwaves here. of course people aren't going to take it seriously because that's what they hear and that's what they are going to think whenever someone brings up 'techno'

hip hop heads are probably the biggest music snobs in the world. good luck trying to convice them of anything as they are usually constantly bickering amognst themselves over things in their own genre.

as far as the metal heads...try playing them some early hardcore/gabber with guitar riffs in it. that's what hooked me...especially things with pantera samples in it

LukyNumbr7
Starting Member

United States
18 posts
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  05:02:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit LukyNumbr7's homepage
Wtf did rave music ever do to this guy, just because he does not like does not mean he has to go out and trash it ><!! The remix was a nice taste of irony though :)

Meathead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
4,217 posts
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  05:09:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Meathead's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Brian K:
look up ac slater - rave music or the oli g remix ftw

Was thinking this would be great as a sample. Shall be looking at them tracks

"Music creates order out of chaos; for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous." -Sir Yehudi Menuhin

frozt

United States
372 posts
frozt has attended 1 event
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  05:23:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit frozt's homepage
I asked my girlfriend if it would bother her if I went to Nocturnal Fest here and her answer was, "wow has my boyfriend really gone so far to ask me if he wants to take drugs and go to a rave".

boy did that sent me off. I would have ripped her a new ******* if I wasn't so nice to her.

DjSakari

United States
383 posts
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  05:56:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DjSakari's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by frozt:
I asked my girlfriend if it would bother her if I went to Nocturnal Fest here and her answer was, "wow has my boyfriend really gone so far to ask me if he wants to take drugs and go to a rave".

boy did that sent me off. I would have ripped her a new ******* if I wasn't so nice to her.

That made me angry just reading it haha! I hate girls who think they can just say shit.

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Posted - 2009/08/04 :  06:02:49  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
Originally posted by frozt:

you should of told her that you were planning on being sober, but due to that retort not anymore!

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.73 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page