Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

what DAW's are ideal for hardcore?

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
inb4suki
Starting Member

United States
4 posts
Posted - 2013/02/04 :  19:39:00  Show profile Send a private message
I'm wondering if there is a DAW commonly used and works best for hardcore.
ableton?
pro tools?
logic?
reason?

thank you ^-^

Alert moderator
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2013/02/04 :  19:50:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Pro Tools is probably the least useful for electronic music. They are all essentially equal otherwise (with the exception of Ableton, as I've no idea what that's like) and it just comes down to preferance. The most commonly used ones in Hardcore though are Cubase and Logic, followed probably by FL Studio.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Hard2Get on 2013/02/04 19:50:47
Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2013/02/04 :  20:20:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
The DAW makes little difference really. As H2G said they are all essentially the same.

inb4suki
Starting Member

United States
4 posts
Posted - 2013/02/04 :  20:24:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit inb4suki's homepage
okay thanks! what do you prefer? i think i might start off with Logic because there is an online class for it. i don't know anything about cubase but i've heard of it and i'm not sure if there's online classes yet. but i know there's a"bible" for FL

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/02/04 :  20:50:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
Logic if you've got Apple hardware. Any of Reason, FL Studio, Cubase or several others if not.

Ableton isn't really production software in the strictest sense of the term but undoubtedly some people do produce with it.

DAWs these days are basically functionally equivalent so it really doesn't matter much. I mean, they'll have different ways of doing things but by the time you've been producing long enough to care about the differences, you've already well and truly settled down with one.

Edit: I use FL Studio by pure coincidence. I was in the same boat as you, picked one almost at random and ended up with FL Studio. I've kept using it because I'm perfectly happy with it and, from a beginner's perspective, it has probably the largest number of online tutorials and resources. Beware that if you're planning on pirating it, you won't get full access to their forums for support and advice though. If you do buy it like I plan to eventually then the license terms are very generous (lifetime free updates).

Like I was saying, I'm not a fan of everything it does (I don't like how difficult it is to free a mixer track once you've routed to it, for example) but by the time I realised that, I'd already become good friends with it.

Edited by - Elliott on 2013/02/04 21:43:45
inb4suki
Starting Member

United States
4 posts
Posted - 2013/02/04 :  21:48:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit inb4suki's homepage
do you guys happen to know what people such as gammer, technikore, and other big hardcore producers use? cause i know people work on tracks together from afar but i wouldnt think differnet DAWs project files are compatible with each other. well i guess they can send stems and midi.

Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2013/02/04 :  23:17:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage
FL studio is the best starting out -
It's the easiest to get the ropes of, and almost every entry-level producer uses it.

You generally step up to other DAWs as you progress.

Most top-tiers use Cubase.

* Dougal & Gammer - Cubase
* S3rl - Reason
* Darwin - Logic

Off the top of my head!

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2013/02/04 :  23:21:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage
http://www.reddit.com/r/edmproduction/comments/1270wr/whats_objectively_better_about_cubase_ableton_vs/

Check this out for some responses about FL Studio vs. Other DAWS

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

D-Shark

Finland
74 posts
Posted - 2013/02/04 :  23:27:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit D-Shark's homepage
i have to say studio one 2.5, its just awesome!

Josephson_Junction
Advanced Member

United States
512 posts
Posted - 2013/02/05 :  00:26:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Josephson_Junction's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by D-Shark:
i have to say studio one 2.5, its just awesome!

:D

As much as I want to shout Studio One, though, it all comes down to personal preference. Try out many different DAWs and find which caters to your workflow the best. A DAW is simply a means to an end product; your song.

If you're not 100% sure where to look, here are some recommendations:
- Cubase
- Logic Pro
- FL Studio (true 64-bit version in development at the moment)
- Reason (uses Refills instead of VSTs)
- Studio One
- REAPER
- Sonar X2

There are also two DAWs I advise against using because of stability issues:
- Acid Pro (version 5 and later)
- Sonar X1 (Cakewalk outsourced most of the development for this version and it shows)

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/02/05 :  02:09:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dys7:
FL studio is the best starting out -
It's the easiest to get the ropes of, and almost every entry-level producer uses it.

You generally step up to other DAWs as you progress.

Most top-tiers use Cubase.

* Dougal & Gammer - Cubase
* S3rl - Reason
* Darwin - Logic

Off the top of my head!

I don't think the progression really matters anymore though. DAW software in general is at the stage now where there's nothing to choose in terms of audio quality etc. so it's really just differences in workflow and stuff like that. There's no convincing reason to move away from a DAW you're happy with because the fresh learning curve isn't likely to be justified.

On a different note, can't wait for the new version of FL, sounds like it's gonna be heavy.

Edited by - Elliott on 2013/02/05 02:18:09
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,996 posts
Posted - 2013/02/05 :  03:33:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
producers that use Cubase off the top of my head: Breeze & Styles, Sy & Unknown, Sparky & Flyin', Alex Bassjunkie, Kurt, Audio Warfare, Dain-Ja, Bood, Triquatra, Pinnacle,

Cubase 7 is just out. That being said, I'm still on 5 though, mainly because as mentioned above, modern DAW's can pretty much do anything and everything. I also use Reason 4 (Great for collabs) and if you were to add just one plug in to a cubase setup, this imo, would be it.

Edit: from the looks of Elliot's producer tips thread, Gammer uses Cubase too.

Edit: just noticed Dys7 mentioned dougal n gammer. sorry bout that. Btw, just seen Squad-e uses cubase ,too.

http://www.brightspeedrecordings.com/

Edited by - DJ_FunDaBounce on 2013/02/05 04:36:16
inb4suki
Starting Member

United States
4 posts
Posted - 2013/02/05 :  05:36:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit inb4suki's homepage
wow thank you all for your help! looks like ill have to check them all out like Josephson_Junction said. thanks Dys7 for the link it really helped! yea i was concerned about DAWs being "better" by having something another lacked. but i wouldn't know what to look out for. They've been saying if you master a DAW and figure out everything that there's sure to be a way to get what you want. and yea i guess it really just boils down to preference. i have been trying to use ableton and figure it out on my own but i could never complete a track without getting bored of it. thank you all so much!

DJ-Hutchy

United Kingdom
355 posts
DJ-Hutchy has attended 1 event
Posted - 2013/02/05 :  08:54:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ-Hutchy's homepage
Just to show they use or have used the daws mentioned earlier!!

Styles - Cubase - Logic
Kurt - Cubase - Ableton
Klubfiller - FL Studio - Cubase

just an example to say they can swap.

Best advice...Find the DAW that suits you the best til you feel like it's holding you back...then move on :)

Spyanova

United Kingdom
115 posts
Spyanova has attended 1 event
Posted - 2013/02/05 :  09:40:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Spyanova's homepage
I dont think squad e uses cubase so much as he loads presets, changes a midi, exports and closes the program. whole process taking 7 minutes.

Charger

Singapore
278 posts
Posted - 2013/02/05 :  11:42:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Charger's homepage
Tbh, most DAW's have their own specialty and naming the software doesn't really matter much. It just really depends on your needs and objectives.

If you're planning to do collabs and remixes for other hardcore artists, the best is to use either FL Studio or Cubase since these are the DAW's that widely used among them right now.

If you're lacking in RAM and CPU speed, probably having a DAW which has decent native plugins like Logic would do the job.

If you want to make tracks with powerful sounds and access samples more often, probably an object-based editing DAW like Reason can do with maelstrom and thor.

If you want to use a DAW which provides decent plugins and powerful editing functions for mixing and mastering, you might want to take a look at MAGIX Samplitude or Sequoia since they have a powerful object-based editing functionality.

And most importantly, it just boils down to the user and his creativity more than the functions available at your disposal.

Personally, I've used Cubase from the start and it worked out well for me. However, it eats up a lot of CPU, crackles and pops and Cubase's timestretch algorithm till today didnt really impress me much as well.

Therefore, I've moved on to MAGIX Samplitude and didn't look back from there. Its support for external audio hardware interface routing is much better than Cubase. Midi track freezing is reversible and the timestretch algorithm is ace!

Definitely, like most of the previous comments have stated, find the DAW that you are most comfortable with.

It'll really make a difference than just following the crowd and struggle with the popular choices of DAW when it doesn't work out for you (e.g Frequent BSOD, Corrupted project files, plugin crash, etc.)

Cheers!

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.47 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page