Printer friendly
Page: 
of 5

Author Thread  
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/03/01 :  20:53:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:
Originally posted by Elliott:
I've heard so many WIPs that have just been de-fucking-stroyed from start to finish by the limiter.

By that you mean most Hardcore? :P

Amen to that!

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/03/01 :  20:57:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charger:
quote:
Yeah, shockingly even as of 10.0.9, the template that FLS loads by default for new tracks has a limiter on the master. I've heard so many WIPs that have just been de-fucking-stroyed from start to finish by the limiter. I really hope they change that in FL11 for everyone's benefit!

Anyway, I've got a track that's coming along nicely and will be finished pretty soon. If I'm currently peaking at 0 (which I am -- probably slightly over actually), I can just decrease the master track by -6db or whatever, right? I don't particularly want to adjust individual levels because they're all good as they are.

Sorry for the late reply. Please do not reduce the master track to -6 dB directly.

What will be more appropriate is to select all the tracks and submix buses and pull down the faders all at the same time until the peak level of the loudest part of your track reaches around -6 dB max.

This will ensure that your mixdown will have a true headroom of 6 dB.

The reason is because pulling down the master track to -6 dB directly (correct me if I'm wrong) the overall noise floor will increase by 6 dB at the end of the mastering process, resulting in a noisy master.

Yeah, after I thought about it I realised it might not work as well as I thought.

The levels could probably use some individual adjustment anyway. I mean, it all sounds badass while I'm arranging and composing etc. but when I listen in mixing mode later, I'll probably want to change a few things.

Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2013/03/01 :  22:36:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Yeah, shockingly even as of 10.0.9, the template that FLS loads by default for new tracks has a limiter on the master. I've heard so many WIPs that have just been de-fucking-stroyed from start to finish by the limiter.

Jesus, I remember this.
Before I got monitors I remember spending 4 hours on a track then realizing it had a limtier on the main channel, then having to go through and re-mixdown EVERYTHING.
Why the hell would they do that? Ugh.

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/03/04 :  14:34:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
http://soundcloud.com/hellomynameiselliott/elliott-starstruck-wip

This is the track I'm planning to send over when it's finished. I'll probably send it as a couple of separate tracks cos I imagine you could do a far better job of balancing them than I could (that's only the second tune I've done and even if it wasn't, I have hearing damage from years of abusing my ears :/)

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2013/03/04 :  14:37:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

This is the track I'm planning to send over when it's finished. I'll probably send it as a couple of separate tracks cos I imagine you could do a far better job of balancing them than I could (that's only the second tune I've done and even if it wasn't, I have hearing damage from years of abusing my ears :/)

Sounds like a 'Happy' Hardcore (90's) tune but with modern production.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/03/04 :  14:58:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:

Is that a good thing? :P

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2013/03/04 :  15:53:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

It is.

Phobz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
893 posts

13 hardcore releases
Posted - 2013/03/04 :  16:33:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Phobz's homepage  Reply with quote
I remember this. Sometimes things would just sound awful especially with pads and sometimes leads then realised it was due to the limiter on the master fx channel when you start a new project. Got used to turning it off now.

It's very nice of you doing a free mastering service. That's one area I lack with. I don't know the steps to mastering or what's involved. I usually just get my mixdown the best I can.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/03/04 :  16:50:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It is.

That's cool :). I'm not producing with any fixed ideas about what I'm trying to create at the moment so comments like that are really interesting!

Edited by - Elliott on 2013/03/04 16:50:48
DJ Hellfury
Advanced Member

Austria
2,237 posts
DJ Hellfury has attended 7 events
Posted - 2013/03/04 :  21:14:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Hellfury's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
quote:

Sounds like a new version of Trixxy, I like Trixxy. Fav.

Hardcore Shows Soundcloud
Hellfury Soundcloud
Label Bandcamp

Edited by - DJ Hellfury on 2013/03/04 21:15:19
Charger

Singapore
278 posts
Posted - 2013/03/04 :  22:13:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Charger's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:

Sure, fire over the links when you're ready.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/03/05 :  00:24:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Hellfury:
quote:
quote:

Sounds like a new version of Trixxy, I like Trixxy. Fav.

Thanks a lot guys! I'm trying hard not to fall into producing generic UK hardcore so those comments make me happy.

Thanks, Charger, I'm gonna prepare it all as soon as I have time. :)

Edited by - Elliott on 2013/03/05 00:25:17
DJ Hellfury
Advanced Member

Austria
2,237 posts
DJ Hellfury has attended 7 events
Posted - 2013/03/05 :  10:48:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Hellfury's homepage  Reply with quote
Wondering if charger still offers mastering services when I send him whole sets with at least 1 hour duration time :P

Hardcore Shows Soundcloud
Hellfury Soundcloud
Label Bandcamp

The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2013/03/05 :  11:58:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Dopeman's homepage  Reply with quote
i have 4-5 tracks that need live brought back to them i found a load of old tapes with a lot of old skool bouncy techno and gabber i recorded onto tape from vinyl when i was 14 i was gonna buy a tape to mp3 thingymajigger (don't know what the hell they call the thing) but my uncle has one so i gave him all the old tapes and he's uploading them as wav files & sending me mediafire links so i can dl them but some of the quality is pretty poor would you be able to make them sound a bit better??

i'll hopefully have some of them by late afternoon early evening time

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2013/03/05 :  12:20:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Dopeman:
i have 4-5 tracks that need live brought back to them i found a load of old tapes with a lot of old skool bouncy techno and gabber i recorded onto tape from vinyl when i was 14 i was gonna buy a tape to mp3 thingymajigger (don't know what the hell they call the thing) but my uncle has one so i gave him all the old tapes and he's uploading them as wav files & sending me mediafire links so i can dl them but some of the quality is pretty poor would you be able to make them sound a bit better??

i'll hopefully have some of them by late afternoon early evening time

There is very little you can do to be honest. A bad recording is a bad recording. Although you can add things like bass etc. If you consider that an improvement.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2013/03/05 12:20:57

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.06 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page