Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

Author Thread  
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/13 :  13:20:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage  Reply with quote
Its really starting to do my head in now lol. I re made the track and the kick and perc, hats and bassline are all fine, but when i add the leads and arps everything goes ski-whiff

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2012/10/13 :  14:20:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
It's probably more a problem of arrangement than signal processing.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/13 :  14:31:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage  Reply with quote
I dont get it because the layers on their own are fine not too much bass and when i solo the leads and pads and arps etc they go fi e together and you can clearly hear them but when i solo the bass and drums aswell something goes wrong. It ends up i have to turn up the vol on the other stems and then everything is cancelled out. Could it be because the main synth and 1 layer of the bassline uses detuned sawtooth. Thebassline layer sawtooth is used for the middle-high. I will post tge track later tonight

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/13 :  16:34:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage  Reply with quote
Right Here is the drum loop with Kick, Hats etc With The Bassline
http://soundcloud.com/electo_kinsey/drum-loop-with-bass/s-pEwLr
And Here is the above but with the synth.

http://soundcloud.com/electo_kinsey/drum-loop-with-bass-and-synth/s-AA4TC
the kick has no compression but does have an envelope effect on it to make it cut through the mix

Edited by - electrogen on 2012/10/13 16:35:00
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2012/10/13 :  18:02:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
Sounds fine to me. Sounds the same but with the lead added. Although there is some weird stereo imaging going on with the bass in both cases.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/10/13 18:14:40
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/13 :  18:14:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage  Reply with quote
Good guess lol. I added stereo effect to the bass layer as it sounded better. Was that a bad move then lol

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2012/10/13 :  18:21:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
Well it's up to you, it's your song. To me, so far at least, it sounds out of phase. I listened to it in mono and it sounds a lot better that way, but that's just me. The bass is one thing that in most cases sounds better in mono. The more spread (in the stereo field) a sound is the less power it seems to have generally. More to point though it should be easily possible to not have to use any stereo enhancing tools (not including chorus). It can needlessly over complicate things imo.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/13 :  18:44:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage  Reply with quote
TBH apart from the stereo fx on the bassline there is no fx in the whole song.

There is eqing on every track and filtering in and out of the synthline, and envelope on the kick for punchyness

jubnoske08
Starting Member

United States
5 posts
Posted - 2012/10/14 :  01:30:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit jubnoske08's homepage  Reply with quote
the problem is you're trying to develop too much of a formulaic approach to producing. in general, it's good to have a general plan of attack when developing tracks, and have certain golden rules you abide by, but there's no one single way to making a certain sound.

layering generally works very well with the lead synth, but you have to be careful when selecting these sounds. hardcore leads are usually heavily detuned saws layered together, and layering several instances of a similar synth can cause phasing issues and give your track a detuned feel. generally your best off having at most two detuned leads layered together (if you're using vsts, hardware you'll only want one layer) and try panning each one slightly to one side. also you're best off using different vsts for each layer. here's an example of a sylenth layered with a nexus for the main lead i did in a recent remix:

http://soundcloud.com/jubnoske08/scott-brown-blue-anthem-voxx

not perfect, but generally a pretty full effect.

also, i'd recommend trying to never layer basslines. low frequencies become extremely muddy pretty quickly when you're layering things, even if you're EQing carefully. this track i used a bass from NI Massive. you're goal should always be to find sounds that are full on their own, and don't need any layering to fill them out. if i had a better main lead, i wouldn't layer. it's just a means to an end and not a good technique in general.

quote:
Originally posted by electrogen:
I found some good literature online about layering. Really helped me. It explains that using group channels for bass drum layers and a seperate group for hats etc and eq them seperate and then as a group but using effects on the group only can help. It was posted on cubase forums but i cant find the page again to post it.
It also goes on to say that if you have a midi file bassline in c2 you could use the same file in the same key but with different instruments to make the sound phatter.

Does anyone else use this method for layering.
Previously i thought you used a sou d and raised the eq on that sound to make it bassier etc but i have since learned that you have to layer sounds in different frequencies to get a more natural sound.
My only problem i have is if you use a sub bass sound with eq accordingly set and a middle sou d and a high sound for your bassline, wouldnt that mean that in theory you cant use another sound in low middle or hi as them freqs are already taken

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/15 :  18:38:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage  Reply with quote
How does this loop sound

http://soundcloud.com/electo_kinsey/test-6/s-GXDod

Shades
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,189 posts
Posted - 2012/10/15 :  21:03:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Shades's homepage  Reply with quote
sounds cool with a little wah wah on it :)

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.08 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page