Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Speakers

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
whispering

Finland
8,453 posts
whispering has donated money to the site
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  13:07:35  Show profile Send a private message
Most of the time i listen music in front of the computer. So figured id buy proper speakers for the computer, as i recently bought speakers for my home theater that are geared only towards movies. So now i don't have any good speakers for music.

Figured since many of you make music on your computer, you'd know whats good? Searching for active speakers (no 2.1 systems). Preferably in the 300e range, can go higher if the quality compensates the price. So far only found 1 model that is 300e (Fostex PM.05), everything else seems to be twice more expensive o_O Also is a separate audio card a must if you get speakers of that quality range?

EDIT: Oh and a lot of the music i listen is 196kbps mp3's (or higher), does it make a difference if its not lossless?

Alert moderator

Edited by - whispering on 2012/09/22 13:09:07
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  13:33:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
I have Krk Rokit 8's when I bought them I thought "hey they look as though they'll be fine"
and they are fantastic - but a hell of alot bigger than I thought they would be, seriously, they're massive and built like a brick.

you're regular listening though aren't you - not producing? and they are very enjoyable for regular useage, just make sure you have a good amount of space no matter what speakers you get hehe. they are also very very loud with a fun amount of low end that makes the house vibrate; great fun for when the neighbour is away!

I don't like listening to anything less than 192kbps on them, you can really hear the trashy digital high ends get all mushy and icky.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
whispering

Finland
8,453 posts
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  13:43:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
I have Krk Rokit 8's when I bought them I thought "hey they look as though they'll be fine"
and they are fantastic - but a hell of alot bigger than I thought they would be, seriously, they're massive and built like a brick.

you're regular listening though aren't you - not producing? and they are very enjoyable for regular useage, just make sure you have a good amount of space no matter what speakers you get hehe. they are also very very loud with a fun amount of low end that makes the house vibrate; great fun for when the neighbour is away!

I don't like listening to anything less than 192kbps on them, you can really hear the trashy digital high ends get all mushy and icky.

Yea only listen music, don't produce. Most of the listening is in front of computer, but it should be able to fill a 20m2 room with sound, if i have people over. Those you mentioned seem to be 500e :O Are they worth the price? for 300e i can get them now, for 500e id have to postpone it to end of november.

I record mp3's now as 320kbps, >5 years ago i recorded as 160kbps. One site i use sell mp3's only as 196kbps. The 160kbps ones i can rerecord if needed.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  15:20:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
If you were interested in KRK's there is a set that are a step down...Rokit 6's I think, smaller, quieter, but I would assume just as good quality :)

I know what you mean about Mp3s, I used to be happy with 192CBR, but now I've re-ripped all my cds using 320VBR, seems to be a really happy medium between saving file space and still keeping the quality of the music

carldj90

United States
299 posts
carldj90 has attended 1 event
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  15:41:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit carldj90's homepage
I use the M-Audio AV 40. Got 'em cheap off amazon. Beware they require some time to break in the amp. Other than that very punchy lows and solid mids. Great price too.

Krk is better, but M-audio ones are a bit cheaper if your worried about price.

whispering

Finland
8,453 posts
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  16:13:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
After some research the KRK 5's would be on my price range. However the new generation 2's that are sold now, are not as good looking as the older ones.

Tangent EVO E5A would also be in the same price range and are much better looking. However their frequency doesn't go as low as the KRK's.

I've also looked the M-Audio ones, which look pretty good. But haven't found much info on their quality.

Shades
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,189 posts
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  16:43:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Shades's homepage
dont rule out a good pair of passive monitors if you have an amplifier, you wont need a reference amp.

tbh i cant see the point in spending out on active monitors if you dont produce, a good amp & a pair of passive's would be soooo much cheaper.

whispering

Finland
8,453 posts
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  17:43:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Shades:
dont rule out a good pair of passive monitors if you have an amplifier, you wont need a reference amp.

tbh i cant see the point in spending out on active monitors if you dont produce, a good amp & a pair of passive's would be soooo much cheaper.

I bought a Yamaha AV receiver last july that has two zones. Its just that i don't want to go to the other side of the room to switch the amp on and get the remote :P Also a pair of good passives aren't that much cheaper.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  17:48:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
and they are very enjoyable for regular useage

Really? They sound so much better than any consumer range product could.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/09/22 17:48:33
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  18:05:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
eh?

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  18:07:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
eh?

Oops. I don't know how, but i somehow read are as aren't.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  18:24:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
gettin' old Matt ;)

whispering

Finland
8,453 posts
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  18:29:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
I'm really starting to grow on the Rokit 8's. The biggest flaw i see is that it doesn't have any sort of grill. Triquatra is the speaker element material something a cat would want to use as scratching post? Also do you need a power cable for both of the speakers, or only one?

Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,677 posts
Warnman has attended 2 events
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  19:06:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage
When I had my own apartment I had connected my computer to the stereo with 5 speakers and subwoofer. But now I'm usually stuck to headphones.

"Happy Hardcore: Love it... hate it... it's fun!" (Matt Stokes)

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  19:12:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by whispering:
I'm really starting to grow on the Rokit 8's. The biggest flaw i see is that it doesn't have any sort of grill. Triquatra is the speaker element material something a cat would want to use as scratching post? Also do you need a power cable for both of the speakers, or only one?

I don't know if there is anywhere where you can do it there but if you can go into a shop and try them out in advance. Speakers/monitor preference is a very personal thing, at least in audio engineering anyway. Either way its worth knowing in advance if they sound better enough than the things that cost less to justify the money spent.
quote:
Originally posted by Warnman:
When I had my own apartment I had connected my computer to the stereo with 5 speakers and subwoofer. But now I'm usually stuck to headphones.

I much prefer listening to stuff on head/earphones 90% of the time.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/09/22 19:14:49
Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,677 posts
Warnman has attended 2 events
Posted - 2012/09/22 :  19:50:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:
Originally posted by Warnman:

I much prefer listening to stuff on head/earphones 90% of the time.

It depends to the reason why you listen to the music. To check out some tracks headphones are nice. For celebrating a one man rave headphones limit the mobility and break too easily.

"Happy Hardcore: Love it... hate it... it's fun!" (Matt Stokes)

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.44 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page