Making Supersaws:

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

Author Thread  
H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/11/13 :  15:34:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage  Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure he was telling me, the original poster, with the question, to read the manual. Not your cruelcore. Lol. But I have looked into what all the knobs and buttons do, and I will continue to do so. Haha. Thanks again.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Lorenzo.Tweakn
Advanced Member

United States
1,327 posts
Lorenzo.Tweakn has attended 2 events
Posted - 2010/11/14 :  16:23:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lorenzo.Tweakn's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by H3RO:
I guess an example of the sound i'm looking for would be one similar to the lead in SPIT-The Beginning.

im pretty sure spit used sylenth1 to make that lead. or z3ta+.

H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/11/14 :  17:32:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage  Reply with quote
Thanks!!!!!

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2010/11/14 :  17:47:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by H3RO:
Thanks again for all of the comments and suggestions guys! I'm currently looking into a new VST for leads and potentially basses. Is there a VST that can give me those fat leads, that could also be used for bass? I guess an example of the sound i'm looking for would be one similar to the lead in SPIT-The Beginning.

If a synth can do a good supersaw emulation then it can certainly do something as simple as a good bass. I recommended Albino and i still recommend it. By far the best soft synth i've used.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2010/11/14 17:49:03
H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/11/14 :  19:14:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage  Reply with quote
I looked into that one and it looks very, very nice. I think it runs 180GBP? Well anyways, I got some saving to do. Haha. Thanks again!

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2010/11/14 :  19:56:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
To put things into perspective (regarding supersaw leads), it has a separate unison control for each oscillator instead of one global control. That's a lot of fatness.

H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/11/15 :  06:16:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage  Reply with quote
Indeed it is. What exactly does unison do? I found that Synth1 has it, and I've made a decent sounding lead using that. It has two oscillators that I have set at saws and detuned and what now and the sub oscillator is a square at about 50% of what the saws are. It's the best I've come up with haha.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2010/11/15 :  13:19:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
Synth1 is good, one of the only free synths that can match the standards of non-free ones. Unison is when the synth duplicates (the current setting) itself and layers it on top. Hence you can have more than one unison voice (at the cost of polyphony but not really a problem with soft synths apart from the V-Station, but that may have been changed in recent years). So, 3 oscillators becomes 6 oscillators if there is one unison voice, and then you can detune those unison voices against each other. So, quite literally, twice the fatness in this case. The unison function on synth1 is very limited as far as i can remember. Unison is the key thing in Trance leads, without it there is no big fat leads and we would be limited to using earlier sounding ones (synths have had unison since the 70's but wasn't used in this way till the end of the 90's in the case of Trance).

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2010/11/15 13:21:24
H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/11/16 :  04:45:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage  Reply with quote
So it simpler terms it's like adding a second instance of the same synth, which can be detuned as a whole as well as individual oscillators?

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2010/11/16 :  12:48:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
It doesn't literally add another instance, just a copy. You can only control the detune between the uni voices, depending on the synth.

H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/11/16 :  21:23:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage  Reply with quote
I knew it didn't literally add one, it just sounds like it I guess is what I should have said. Lol. But thank you! You've been a great help! I really appreciate it.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2010/11/16 :  22:41:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage  Reply with quote
It's the part where you mentioned detuning the oscillators that made me explain what i did rather than the instance bit.
If you want an idea of how the Albino can sound/sounds then check this out, it's just a small clip of something i have lying around on my hard drive from a tune i was working on. It's just 2/3 saws and a square (with both unison and sub oscillators per oscillator turned on). Extremely basic sound but the unison makes all the difference.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/eeuph8

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.11 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page