Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Making Supersaws:

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/11/10 :  03:16:07  Show profile Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
I've been trying to make that generic, super fat synth that is in most hardcore songs. The main reason I want to make one is just to prove to myself I can do it. I have 3xOSC set to three saw waves, and both all three of them I have detuned using the stereo and the fine tuning. It has an ok sound. I then put reverb and EQ'd with the mids and the highs boosted. I also have a chorus effect of sorts on it. My end result sounds good, it just isn't a supersaw. It's more of a laser-y sound. Any help? Lol.

Alert moderator
Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2010/11/10 :  09:35:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
What synth are you using out of interest? You may want to sync the leads, change the amount of voices etc. If you are using vadge station these are on the second page. I would suggest finding some presets of the sort of sound you're looking to create and studying what they've done.

Also... You're never going to make a phat enough lead for Hardcore with just one instance of a 3 osc. synth so get layering.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Audio Warfare on 2010/11/10 09:36:11
H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/11/10 :  22:10:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
Synth as in VST? I'm using 3xOSC. And I will get to layering the next time I have my other computer. Lol. The only problem is I don't know what to layer. Maybe like a saw and a square-ish one?

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2010/11/10 :  23:54:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
With the 3xOSC? NOBODY can get a supersaw sound out of that without more than basic synth programming skills (and certainly not from 1 instance of it).
You need to find yourself a synth that has a unison function. My suggestion would be Albino. Unison is the key factor here. I would not try to use the 3xOSC at all, why massively over complicate things? It doesn't even sound good! The least you can do is use a synth that is actually capable of a supersaw style sound without great difficulty.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2010/11/10 23:56:41
Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2010/11/11 :  00:22:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
^^^ I would have to agree. Ditch 3xosc and look at Sylenth, Zeta+, Albino3, V-Station etc. etc. It's often nice to use different layers from different synths capitalising on what they do best.

You could add a square to the sound if you wanted yes... The basic supersaw will just be lots of saws on lots of octaves with different amounts of stereo use, detune etc. It's important to fill out those octaves! If you just ram 6 layers on the same 1 or 2 octaves it is likely to sound rubbish. ;)

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2010/11/11 :  14:09:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Add a square an octave lower and about 50% quieter than the saws. Will beef the sound up very nicely. Does not work at all at the same octave mind, opposite effect.

cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2010/11/11 :  20:32:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Audio Warfare:If you just ram 6 layers on the same 1 or 2 octaves it is likely to sound rubbish. ;)

So thats why my latest synth sounded rubbish? Gotta keep that in mind xD.

Dont be so negative about your supersaws - there is not only 1 form.
One used in Trance is usually very nice and smooth, in Euro-Trance (if thats supersaw) is phatt, and in UKHC is something between.

About 3xosc, Flanger is what u need 2 load first. Kev Willow tutorial, same Flanger preset with 100% wet and dry Flagner (he didnt put Wet). And u can modulate some things if u want. And then compress ur supersaw with Multiband Compressor (i suggest Comp presets). And about other plugins - EQ and the common ones ;).

Edited by - cruelcore1 on 2010/11/11 20:39:57
H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/11/12 :  02:26:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
I've seen that tutorial. Lol. Did not like how it sounded at all. The only reason I ask about 3xOSC is because I can't afford the fancy VST's you big guns use. At least not at the moment. Lol. But thank you all for your replies! It helps a ton!

cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2010/11/12 :  19:57:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by H3RO:
I've seen that tutorial. Lol. Did not like how it sounded at all. The only reason I ask about 3xOSC is because I can't afford the fancy VST's you big guns use. At least not at the moment. Lol. But thank you all for your replies! It helps a ton!

Of course u didnt like it, neither did i! The problem is that he didnt use any Wet (0%) in his flanger. Synth sounded good with the melody, but of course in most of the cases u will use 100% Wet when ure making your own synth.
And also try turning both Invert Wet & Invert Dry to "on". Supersaw will be more powerful and bassy (and ull remove the bass), but of course, it depends about the melody and the song.

And Its not so difficult with 3x Osc. Everything takes time 2 train.
3xOsc is good. Just make a few layers as guys here said, and do what i told u. And also make some changes urself, no tutorial is perfect.

tru bass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,996 posts
tru bass has attended 11 events
Posted - 2010/11/12 :  23:26:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tru bass's homepage
Cruel core, your last two comments made me cringe.

Please just listen to audio warfare and hard2get.

cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2010/11/13 :  00:51:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by tru bass:

whats so bad in my comments? my supersaw doesnt sound so bad.

tru bass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,996 posts
tru bass has attended 11 events
Posted - 2010/11/13 :  01:20:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tru bass's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by cruelcore1:
quote:

whats so bad in my comments? my supersaw doesnt sound so bad.

I'm sure it doesn't, I love 3xosc, but only for bass :P

and it wasn't really your comments in general.

just, "And then compress ur supersaw with Multiband Compressor (i suggest Comp presets).", some people would cry at the hands of that suggestion.

excuse me being pedantic, I can't lie down because my ear is killing me so i'm just being grumpy on a forum to make up for the sleep deprivation and chronic lack of serotonin.

EDIT: I thought you'd posted the first post! My bad!
my posts are now irrelevant :s sorry guize

Edited by - tru bass on 2010/11/13 01:23:07
H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/11/13 :  04:41:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
Thanks again for all of the comments and suggestions guys! I'm currently looking into a new VST for leads and potentially basses. Is there a VST that can give me those fat leads, that could also be used for bass? I guess an example of the sound i'm looking for would be one similar to the lead in SPIT-The Beginning.

cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2010/11/13 :  09:28:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
quote:
I'm sure it doesn't, I love 3xosc, but only for bass :P

and it wasn't really your comments in general.

just, "And then compress ur supersaw with Multiband Compressor (i suggest Comp presets).", some people would cry at the hands of that suggestion.

excuse me being pedantic, I can't lie down because my ear is killing me so i'm just being grumpy on a forum to make up for the sleep deprivation and chronic lack of serotonin.

EDIT: I thought you'd posted the first post! My bad!
my posts are now irrelevant :s sorry guize

Ur first comment was rlly rough. I understand ur mood was rlly bad, but please dont do that anymore. I dont like getting such rough replies.

Its funny, u use 3xosc only 4 bass, and I use it 4 everything else than bass.
It indeed is a complicated plugin since it gives u only basic synths, but with enough layers, good VSTs and knowledge u can turn it into something beautiful. And its all not even as complicated as it seems.

I agree Multiband Compressor can cause trouble, but I personally like using it. In my last release it rlly helped out. Its like an option for phatt UKHC supersaw, but of course it cant be used for just any synth.

And I also agree with Audio Warfare and Hard2Get, I just wanted 2 give a concrete advice, since H3RO said he "can't afford the fancy VST's you big guns use", and if he learns how 2 make 1 sort of supersaw, he'll surely discover another one much easier.

quote:
Originally posted by H3RO:
I guess an example of the sound i'm looking for would be one similar to the lead in SPIT-The Beginning

I believe u can make sonthing like that using 3xosc and a bunch of other plugins.
Or u could try using some other Fruity synth VSTs. There are plenty, its just that u need 2 learn how 2 use them.

There's also a Fat Echo way in 3xosc 2 make a phatt supersaw, but it sucks in UKHC so I dont use it anymore.

I rlly liked the synth of ur last release. U should have used little less reveerb, but it was rlly good IMO.

Edited by - cruelcore1 on 2010/11/13 09:28:47
happyraver89

Hungary
40 posts
Posted - 2010/11/13 :  10:25:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit happyraver89's homepage
I don't advice compression aswell, it's an effect that used for "making things loud".
It's an effect that should be used at the mastering stage of your track (and not necessary, personally i hate it). 4 example: If your high end sounds quiet @ supersaw, than just raise the volume of your highest octave osc instead of using multiband compressor.

important: keep on trying :D practice makes better.. maybe you discover a fresh really cool supersaw .. maybe not ..

but THE MOST IMPORTANT: RTM >> Read The Manual! Without knowing what you are doing > sucks!
I tell you, that a lot of people that makes music just twisting the knobs on synthesizer without knowing what it really does, putting effects on the mixer's master section etc...It's really sad, because if you read the manual, and understand it you can improve your musics quality as hell in the future.That's why famous producers can make sounds that sounds awesome :).

Sorry for bad english, i hope i this helps you.

cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2010/11/13 :  15:15:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by happyraver89:
I don't advice compression aswell, it's an effect that used for "making things loud".
It's an effect that should be used at the mastering stage of your track (and not necessary, personally i hate it). 4 example: If your high end sounds quiet @ supersaw, than just raise the volume of your highest octave osc instead of using multiband compressor.

Compression also adds some effects. For example, if u want ur synth 2 sound harder, u can use a strong compression.
Just use what suits most 2 the synth.

And "Comp" presets (standard compression) of Multiband Compressor dont sound good on master, which I've tried several times already. IMO mastering compression shouldnt be too strong.
quote:
Originally posted by happyraver89:
but THE MOST IMPORTANT: RTM >> Read The Manual! Without knowing what you are doing > sucks!
I tell you, that a lot of people that makes music just twisting the knobs on synthesizer without knowing what it really does, putting effects on the mixer's master section etc...It's really sad, because if you read the manual, and understand it you can improve your musics quality as hell in the future.That's why famous producers can make sounds that sounds awesome :).

I completely agree with u. But, of course, if there is a manual xD. I understood all of the plugins (that I know) on my own. Im just a person who gets 2 understand things without many manuals.

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.7 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page