Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - other genre

Dubstep

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
z121231211

United States
61 posts
z121231211 has attended 2 events
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  03:39:30  Show profile Send a private message
For some reason, this has gotten really popular among my High School mates. I'm finding more people liking this than any other genre.
I really don't like dubstep, I just can't get the appeal with the wubwub sound. Guess I like having a 4/4 beat to ground the song.

I don't really want to rag on dub, just want to find out everyone's opinion here is on it.

Alert moderator

Edited by - z121231211 on 2010/10/15 03:41:12
DJ Specimen

United States
350 posts
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  03:49:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Specimen's homepage
You know, generally speaking, I hate dubstep.

However, the dubstep songs I like (all four of them) are some of my favorite songs.

Pendulum - Set Me on Fire
Sub Focus - Could This Be Real
Sub Focus - Rock It
Tremourz & J.Rabbit - Energylegz

The first three songs are actually by DnB artists, which seem to be the only competent dubstep producers.

That's right, hellokitty.com, and don't act like you don't want one too.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  04:04:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
All of the druggies in my school listen to it. It's really annoying because they think they're hot sh*t because of it. I can listen to it every once and a while but in my opinion it's becoming a little too mainstream.

tru bass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,996 posts
tru bass has attended 11 events
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  08:40:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tru bass's homepage
I never knew it'd be big in usa

redwingz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,483 posts
redwingz has attended 3 events
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  11:09:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit redwingz's homepage
I like a few dubstep tunes,

Calvin Harris - Im Not Alone (Doorly Remix)
Doctor P - Sweet Shop
TC - Wheres My Money (Caspa Remix)

Theres a few others too

http://www.trackitdown.net/recordlabel/111477/nsr-records.html

http://www.nsrrecords.co.uk

http://www.imodownload.com/NSR-Records

http://www.junodownload.com/labels/NSR

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  11:34:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
I like a fair bit of it. It doesn't all go wub wub either. Not great at parties though IMO. Not the right energy for me, it's too chilled.

REAL Dub is MUCH, MUCH better though. I love that.

Edited by - Audio Warfare on 2010/10/15 11:35:43
DJ C-Regz

United States
117 posts
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  11:35:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ C-Regz's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by tru bass:
I never knew it'd be big in usa

I love it. Dude kids here are eating anything heavy with bass. Dubstep is huge man as well as bassline, fidget house etc..

SoundCloud: http://www.soundcloud.com/dj_c-regz <-- Follow me!

DJ Specimen

United States
350 posts
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  14:05:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Specimen's homepage
I <3 the wub wub >.>

yzerman

United Kingdom
132 posts
yzerman has attended 3 events
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  14:31:33  Show profile  Send a private message
not a huge fan at first i hated it but it has grown on me a bit. i think a few tunes dropped in a DnB set works well but couldnt listen to just that at a rave or prob not even a full hour of it.

JustIncredible
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
599 posts
JustIncredible has attended 2 events
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  15:04:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit JustIncredible's homepage
Personally, I hate it. Don't see what the big appeal of it is in America. I tried to get into but I couldn't, the music is just to slow for me I guess.

NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
NekoShuffle has attended 17 events
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  15:25:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage
No, not a fan of dubstep at all, just seems a completely pointless genre of music to me but whatever floats your boat.

The weird thing about dubstep being big in the US is that their love for dubstep has been entirely taken from the fact it was popular in the UK for a while and surfaced on the internet. What they did was effectively look on the internet for genres they didn't already have there and decided to take dubstep. There's been no one person to pioneer dubstep in the way gabber (lenny dee), happy hardcore (Anabolic frolic), drum n bass (dieselboy) etc. was pioneered over there. By pioneered I guess I mean "brought it to the masses".

I guarentee when bounce/donk/etc. gets a boost in popularity suddenly you'll see a load of americans jump on it purely from what they've taken from online. Not saying that's a good or a bad thing - music is for everyone, but the power of the internet is weird. It used to take artists to carry a sound across the pond and bring it to the american masses. Now we can just direct people to an .mp3 file!

Lilley
Advanced Member

Australia
3,740 posts
Lilley has attended 7 events
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  15:57:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lilley's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by NekoShuffle:
No, not a fan of dubstep at all, just seems a completely pointless genre of music to me but whatever floats your boat.

Can't get much more boring or pointless than four to the floor. At least dubstep is different.

edit: actually thinking about it now, four to the floor is about as boring as music can get.

Edited by - Lilley on 2010/10/15 16:00:37
DJ Specimen

United States
350 posts
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  16:56:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Specimen's homepage
Where's meathead to 'roid rage on all of us? He hasn't been bitching at all my posts lately...

DJ Specimen

United States
350 posts
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  16:58:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Specimen's homepage
Also, DeadMau5 - Ghosts n Stuff [Nero Remix] is absolutely face melting. Nero is likewise a DnB artist (usually, he does a lot of dubstep too)

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Revs has attended 13 events
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  18:57:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
I first couldn't stand it either, now it's okay... For me it's music without real background, a bit like Hardstyle, music for idiots.. haha

Hardstyle is basically like slowed down Gabber, so is Dubstep kind of some slower Drum & Bass..
Actually you could still consider some hardstyle like harder Hard Trance.

But I don't like any of those, see, House, Hardcore, DnB, that's music with a background. Happy Hardcore comes from early Breakbeat Hardcore, which again, comes from House, which comes from 80s Disco (or something), or you could go the other way, Breakbeat Hardcore comes from some breakbeatish stuff, that comes from Hip Hop, which evolved in the 70s, that again evolved from something ealier... Dubstep and Hardstyle is just useless, a guy was sitting on the toilet and was bored, so he invented those two. And the most terrible is this new "Dubstyle" shit that is some mixture between both genres, haha reminds me of the facebook page "he's ugly, she's ugly. they're cute for each other" same thing haha

NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
NekoShuffle has attended 17 events
Posted - 2010/10/15 :  19:17:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lilley:
quote:
Originally posted by NekoShuffle:

Can't get much more boring or pointless than four to the floor. At least dubstep is different.

edit: actually thinking about it now, four to the floor is about as boring as music can get.

I'm not talking about beat patterns here, minimal techno is just...maybe worse than dubstep in terms of pointlessness, so dull. But stuff like hardcore, trance etc. is interesting music.

My main fault with dubstep is that it doesn't peak and drop even NEARLY enough, you can't really dance to it since the only continuous beat is ridiculously slow and it's just generally quite depressing music! Just sounds like technology abuse. Oh and dubstep has a ridiculously antisocial scene here, how can you have fun at a party if you've gotta watch your back constantly?

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.69 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page