Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Starting out DJing.

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/08/02 :  05:19:51  Show profile Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
So I was at Guitar Center last week and I was talking to the Dj/Live sound guy and I asked what would be a good set up to start out and learn on. He suggested that I get turntables and Serato so I can learn on vinyl, yet music is still relatively cheap. He didn't give me any brands to look into though. I was wondering what you guys thought about this and if your opinion differs by all means share. Also, any tips as to where to look for gear would be greatly appreciated.

Alert moderator
latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2010/08/02 :  05:42:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
i lol'd a little when he said to learn on vinyl using serato

it all depends on what you want to mix with (vinyl, cdjs, mp3s) and then we can give you a better answer.

i'm not at all surprised at the lack of the info the ppl there are giving you. seems like majority of them have no clue about the quality of the product. GC has kind of turned into a self-help store, at least the dj equipment section seems like that.

always read forums online on any product you're interested in as they will probably end up helping you more than GC employees

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Project-Industrial
Advanced Member

Netherlands
2,481 posts

33 hardcore releases
Project-Industrial has attended 24 events
Posted - 2010/08/02 :  06:34:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Project-Industrial's homepage
i actually agree with that geezer.. using serato saves u a lot of money, you can simply purchase mp3's first and still have the vinyl feeling without wasting money on expensive vinyl. You might love it now but for what I know you could be losing interrest in a week because your not archieving it fast enough (just and example ;) ).

If your overconfident in yourself then leave out serato and just get some stantons. Those are decent beginner tables. Mixer wise, dont know really. I started with a mccrypt one as I simply didnt have the money to get a djm800 xD which I really really like ._.

In the end its just what you can afford. But directly looking away if someone suggest going with serato is kinda bad. There's plenty of big names who use serato on a regular base during their sets and it can be a very nice add-on to your mixing. Wether your using it or not, you will still be using vinyl. Time coded or real doesn't really matter in that case because if you do not touch the sync button in traktor (think thats the program serato uses? very nice program btw..) then the whole idea is identical. Since the only thing you really need to practice is beatmatching. If you got that down its a piece of cake from there.

http://www.project-industrial.com
http://www.discogs.com/label/Furious+Monkey+Records
http://www.furiousmonkeyrecords.com/

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
Posted - 2010/08/02 :  06:47:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Project-Industrial:
There's plenty of big names who use serato on a regular base during their sets and it can be a very nice add-on to your mixing.

which is the sole reason one should not start out with serato. i bought the Numark Mixdeck and it comes with Tracktor LE and i'm not using that program or any other program for that matter until i can mix decently without it. Serato should truly only be used as an add-on to your mixing, not a crutch.

Dain-Ja
Advanced Member

Canada
1,983 posts
Dain-Ja has attended 11 events
Posted - 2010/08/02 :  07:33:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dain-Ja's homepage
Everyone is selling their turntables to get CDJs. You can get great deals on used Technics MK2/M3D turntables (which are the industry standard and best)... In Canada it's not uncommon to see them go for 500$ CAN (300 pounds) a pair...

Visit makemeRUSH.com for music from the ONLY North American hardcore label pressing vinyl!

FREE track every Monday: http://www.rushdeliveryrecords.com/?p=229

H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/08/02 :  07:34:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
That's the kind of stuff I'm trying to get away from, just hitting a button and poof beat matched. I want to learn to do things the right way. What I believe the guy was getting at was the fact that "real Dj's use vinyl" type of thing. Ideally, since I can't afford much, it would be awesome to use like Cortex HDTT 5000's, which is a pure digital turntable. But I'm afraid it would limit me in some way if I actually get into clubs and such which usually have cdj's. I'm just looking for opinions on which way to start. And possibly some products to look into.

Project-Industrial
Advanced Member

Netherlands
2,481 posts

33 hardcore releases
Posted - 2010/08/02 :  09:36:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Project-Industrial's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
quote:
Originally posted by Project-Industrial:
There's plenty of big names who use serato on a regular base during their sets and it can be a very nice add-on to your mixing.

which is the sole reason one should not start out with serato. i bought the Numark Mixdeck and it comes with Tracktor LE and i'm not using that program or any other program for that matter until i can mix decently without it. Serato should truly only be used as an add-on to your mixing, not a crutch.

fair nuff but since he's pointing out he cant afford much its useless to get turntables only. Using this software you can simply grab some mp3's and load them up and still get used to playing with vinyl. If you cant afford that much it would the be smartest way to go. Unless your all excited about having only 5 vinyl's and mixing the same tunes all day long.

You can see it as add-on, you can see it as a crutch. Fact remains that he will spend a lot less money on vinyl which he (as i've read) can't afford anyway. What's the point of having turntables when you got barely anything to play on em.

DJ Specimen

United States
350 posts
Posted - 2010/08/10 :  01:21:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Specimen's homepage
If you're jumping straight into a real setup don't settle for cheap stuff that you'll just want to replace later. The quality brands that everyone here will doubtless support for vinyl are Technics and Stanton, for CDJs you'll want Pioneer, and I've heard some good things about Behringer and Stanton as well. Mixers/FX machines look for Pioneer or Behringer, the Pioneer DJM 909 is a personal favorite but I believe they've discontinued it for reasons unknown, you can still find them used I'm sure.

Personally, if I ever go vinyl I'll have a pair of Stanton STR 150 turntables with a Pioneer DJM 909, I'd also settle for Technics 1200s, but the straight arm on the stantons is better for scratching. Stanton also boasts the strongest torque motors in the industry.

Try finding a real DJ store in your area that will have test models set up that you can play with and get a feel for. 123DJ is in Chicago, somewhere in Chinatown I believe. They have tons of test setups with speakers and lights and such, it's a pretty sweet store.

That's right, hellokitty.com, and don't act like you don't want one too.

Project-Industrial
Advanced Member

Netherlands
2,481 posts

33 hardcore releases
Posted - 2010/08/10 :  19:13:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Project-Industrial's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Specimen:
If you're jumping straight into a real setup don't settle for cheap stuff that you'll just want to replace later. The quality brands that everyone here will doubtless support for vinyl are Technics and Stanton, for CDJs you'll want Pioneer, and I've heard some good things about Behringer and Stanton as well. Mixers/FX machines look for Pioneer or Behringer, the Pioneer DJM 909 is a personal favorite but I believe they've discontinued it for reasons unknown, you can still find them used I'm sure.

Personally, if I ever go vinyl I'll have a pair of Stanton STR 150 turntables with a Pioneer DJM 909, I'd also settle for Technics 1200s, but the straight arm on the stantons is better for scratching. Stanton also boasts the strongest torque motors in the industry.

Try finding a real DJ store in your area that will have test models set up that you can play with and get a feel for. 123DJ is in Chicago, somewhere in Chinatown I believe. They have tons of test setups with speakers and lights and such, it's a pretty sweet store.

stanton TT's for beginners = big agree
pioneer cdj = big agree
pioneer djm = to much efx which makes a shitty dj imho xD sooooooooo
behringer mixer = big agree (they last long ._. good stuff)

still if he doesnt have much cash i would recommend going cheap with software add-on to it (stanton supports traktor TT wise) :) yes its cheap, yes its not 100% real (screw u haters) and yes he will replace it later if he still wants to be a dj instead of having an 'i wanna be a dj' trip as have many :)

H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/08/10 :  21:08:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
Trust me, if I had $3,000 to drop on pioneer stuff I would. Unfortunately, I don't. Lol. It just makes me wonder how someone like Cotts could afford a set up like his. It's nuts.

DJ Specimen

United States
350 posts
Posted - 2010/08/11 :  08:16:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Specimen's homepage
I'm sure Cotts gets paid to play lots of parties. If you're going cheap I still recommend stuff you won't replace right away, like a good MIDI controller with Traktor software. I use a Numark Stealth, it works pretty well for only $2XX with included Traktor software.

Also if you want to be amazing and cutting edge, stanton has a new MIDI controller system that runs completely on touch. No real knobs or sliders, and each turntable connects magnetically with no limit to how many decks you can add on. I was contemplating getting it but I'm just a poor college student that plays frat parties in exchange for beer for the night and a bottle of hard liquor....

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
Posted - 2010/08/12 :  02:07:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Specimen:

Also if you want to be amazing and cutting edge, stanton has a new MIDI controller system that runs completely on touch. No real knobs or sliders, and each turntable connects magnetically with no limit to how many decks you can add on.

that device looks like the controls of the starship Enterprise instead of a dj tool

H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2010/08/12 :  02:17:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
If I wanted to be a software DJ I wouldn't be asking about CDJ's or turntables.

DJ Specimen

United States
350 posts
Posted - 2010/08/12 :  22:32:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Specimen's homepage
You can use software with CDJs and turntables. Most of the big name DJs out there today use scratch live or something similar, it's just easier and less bulky than carrying tons of vinyls around. If you really have your heart set on vinyl turntables get stanton or technics, they're the industry standard. To the best of my knowledge technics are more popular in the hip hop/rap DJing world and stantons are more common in electronic music genres. This is for no particular reason as far as I know, they both make quality products.

Project-Industrial
Advanced Member

Netherlands
2,481 posts

33 hardcore releases
Posted - 2010/08/13 :  09:53:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Project-Industrial's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by H3RO:
If I wanted to be a software DJ I wouldn't be asking about CDJ's or turntables.

as reply:

quote:
Originally posted by H3RO:Trust me, if I had $3,000 to drop on pioneer stuff I would. Unfortunately, I don't. Lol. It just makes me wonder how someone like Cotts could afford a set up like his. It's nuts.

you dont have money but want to jump in right between the big guys with good gear.. ok.. we all get that thats cool and feels more real. But if you dont have money atm and you want to start practicing you have to put your rediculesly big ego aside and just go with software or as many times said, half software and cheap gear. You dont get all the cost of the vinyl because mp3's are cheaper but you still have the vinyl decks to play with and you can always go over on vinyl when you are actually good at it.

No offence, we have said it over and over, explained what the good things are to start with but they will most likely all be out of your budget and if you can afford them you will have no cash left to get anything you can play. Nuff said..

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
Posted - 2010/08/13 :  14:50:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
here's the perfect setup for you!

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IONICUE3

and that's as good as you'll probably ever get

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.75 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page