Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

How to make the perfect Breakbeat?

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Revs has attended 13 events
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  12:09:50  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
I'm wondering how you get a perfect result! Something nice and fresh.

I used different kicks, different snares, different hi hats, etc etc... did different combinasions (to vary a bit), played with the velocity of each kick, snare, hi hat, etc, EQ'd each of them, used the balance, added some effects (reverb etc), used side chain compressors, played with the automation, ... what else could you do? how do you improve your breakbeats?

Alert moderator
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  12:30:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
1.buy drum kit
2. set it up at the top of the stairs
3. set up microphone and recording equipment - press record
4. push drumkit down the stairs

:D

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  12:47:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Well, what makes the perfect breakbeat is entirely subjective, so it's hard to say really! I'd just go and rip a drum loop from a song like what was done with the amen, because your never going to beat the natural timing vs computer programmed timing; and then there is the reverb etc etc.

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  13:05:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Nah, I don't want to rip anything, I want to make my own thing ;) And it's much more fun to work on a breakbeat and see everything you can get than just ripping it from somewhere else!

I just need some new ideas, I want to make it even better now! But it seems like I've tried everything already..

quote:
Originally posted by DjTriquatra:
1.buy drum kit
2. set it up at the top of the stairs
3. set up microphone and recording equipment - press record
4. push drumkit down the stairs

:D

redwingz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,483 posts
redwingz has attended 3 events
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  13:14:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit redwingz's homepage
Learn from one of the best:

http://breakbeat.hattrixx.co.uk/

http://www.trackitdown.net/recordlabel/111477/nsr-records.html

http://www.nsrrecords.co.uk

http://www.imodownload.com/NSR-Records

http://www.junodownload.com/labels/NSR

Edited by - redwingz on 2010/06/26 22:54:56
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  13:43:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Well, that's very basic, I already know all of that. I'm looking for more complicated things, and also like I already said, I do my own breakbeats and I don't use samples! (which means I place each kick, hi hat, snare by myself!) But I'm sure this tutorial will be usefull for some people, cheers :)

Meathead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
4,217 posts
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  14:50:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Meathead's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Revs:
Well, that's very basic, I already know all of that. I'm looking for more complicated things, and also like I already said, I do my own breakbeats and I don't use samples! (which means I place each kick, hi hat, snare by myself!) But I'm sure this tutorial will be usefull for some people, cheers :)

Do you record hits from your own drum kit too? Didn't think so. The fact you refuse to use a sampled break, even for supplementary purposes, yet you don't mind using say VEC samples defeats the object a bit don't you think?

What you should do; Find a break you like (it doesn't have to be an amen, hell i sampled a break from a 90's Britpop tune), chop it up a bit to create a groove you like, add your main one shot samples IE kicks and snares where the breaks own kick ands snare hit, add rides and hats in a smilair rhythm to your sample remember to alter velocities and not stick to the quantize grid and there you have your break. But then i'm sure you already knew all this and did it already, and probably even taught these techniques to Danny Byrd and DJ Fresh back in the day.

Probably every D&B track i've heard from all the biggest artists have used some sort of sampled break, cleaned up and supplemented with one shots, but hey what do these people know they've only had a few vinyl releases on major labels that featured on major compilations/albums.

"Music creates order out of chaos; for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous." -Sir Yehudi Menuhin

Edited by - Meathead on 2010/06/26 14:53:11
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  15:17:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
?

I don't understand why you get angry, I simply do that for the fun of creating breakbeats.. and yes I already knew what you wrote, that's the base of doing a breakbeat, isn't it?

quote:
Probably every D&B track i've heard from all the biggest artists have used some sort of sampled break

Doesn't mean I have to do it aswell :p
Nevermind let's forget this topic..

Dain-Ja
Advanced Member

Canada
1,983 posts
Dain-Ja has attended 11 events
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  15:35:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dain-Ja's homepage
The best breakbeats are a combination of individual hits and sampled loops which are sliced, rearranged and layered

Visit makemeRUSH.com for music from the ONLY North American hardcore label pressing vinyl!

FREE track every Monday: http://www.rushdeliveryrecords.com/?p=229

cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  16:02:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
Lol, just combine kick and closed hats 4 the beginning. Thats what i like to do. And u can also try adding snares and claps into it if u want.

Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  17:24:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
quote:
?

I don't understand why you get angry, I simply do that for the fun of creating breakbeats.. and yes I already knew what you wrote, that's the base of doing a breakbeat, isn't it?

quote:
Probably every D&B track i've heard from all the biggest artists have used some sort of sampled break

I think he got angry because your response to the link Redwingz posted came across as very arrogant.

tru bass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,996 posts
tru bass has attended 11 events
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  17:30:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tru bass's homepage
what everyone else said.

i've tried many a time to make a good sampled loop in the way you are talking about (by rearranging everything to your own timing) for ages and it never seems to work.. ever

Meathead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
4,217 posts
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  18:18:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Meathead's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:
quote:
?

quote:

I think he got angry because your response to the link Redwingz posted came across as very arrogant.

I wasn't angry :p. Arrogance does wind me up a bit but i know to expect it from Revs.

"Music creates order out of chaos; for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous." -Sir Yehudi Menuhin

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  18:20:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:
quote:
?

quote:

Oops, that wasn't on purpose... I'm very thankful for the link Redwingz posted of course :)

And I think you guys are missing the point.. my question was not how to do a breakbeat, I know how to do that.. I just wanted to know what special tricks people would use to make them, appart of everything that you guys listed because that's the basics anyway.. I wanted to know more about the technical part, like velocity, reverb, blabla.. nevermind

catlikethief
Average Member

United States
162 posts
catlikethief has attended 15 events
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  23:19:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit catlikethief's homepage
If you already know all the basics, then what more do you need?

If you are creative you can take the "basics" (as you put them) and make something fresh and original, which you are looking for. But if you already know all the basics and can't make something new, then maybe you just can't do it (yet).

Edited by - catlikethief on 2010/06/26 23:19:38
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/06/26 :  23:35:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Well I want to get away from the basics! I should get more into Breakcore, they have sick stuff. I like when it when things are a bit more complicated

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.31 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page