Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Changing Key of a Sample ?

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 3

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Revs has attended 13 events
Posted - 2009/12/11 :  19:41:03  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Is it possible to change the key of a sample, and keeping the sample in perfect condition? I tried it with pitch but it 'damages' the sample and also you cannot choose which key since it's all in cents.

Can anyone help ? Thanks :)

Alert moderator
Rayovac
Advanced Member

United States
2,049 posts
Rayovac has donated money to the site
Posted - 2009/12/11 :  20:30:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rayovac's homepage
I remember in Acid Pro you could easily change the semitone non-destructively by selecting a clip then pressing either + (to go up) or - (to go down). Pressing shift at the same time would change the octave instead. But alas, that didn't make up for how much of a ****ing piece of shit the program was.

What DAW - or audio editor - are you using anyway?

This also means "People read."

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2009/12/11 :  20:40:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Hmm I see … I'm using Logic Pro.

I don't want to use the pitch because I can't choose what exactly note I want it in.
Damn that sucks! I can't go on with my work.

Rayovac
Advanced Member

United States
2,049 posts
Rayovac has donated money to the site
Posted - 2009/12/11 :  20:45:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rayovac's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Revs:
Hmm I see … I'm using Logic Pro.

I don't want to use the pitch because I can't choose what exactly note I want it in.
Damn that sucks! I can't go on with my work.

Logic Pro... sorry, no experience with that DAW. :( I imagine someone else will be able to help.

This also means "People read."

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2009/12/11 :  21:45:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Yeah I hope someone will answer :-/

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2009/12/11 :  21:46:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
You cannot change the pitch of the sample while keeping it sounding exactly the same. Very simple no. As for pitch shifting, well, you can do that with literaly any program, it's one of the most basic functions. You'll work it out eventually. Wether you change the sample by tone, semitone or octave it's all the same proccess, just different increments.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2009/12/11 21:48:32
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2009/12/12 :  00:00:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Alright but let's say I have a sample which is played in D ( only one note ) and I want it to be in A … how do I do that ?!

acidfluxxbass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
5,000 posts
Posted - 2009/12/12 :  00:14:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit acidfluxxbass's homepage
Logic has an audio sample in it. It's at the bottom amongst the other tabs like mixer, and piano roll.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/archefluxxuk

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2009/12/12 :  00:47:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Yeah I know, and then? There's no option to change the key. And the pitch doesn't allow me to choose the EXACT note I would like the sample to be in :/
You can just vary more of less.

Ionosphere
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,750 posts
Ionosphere is verified hardcore artist
Posted - 2009/12/12 :  01:29:16  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Ionosphere's homepage
If you want to go from D to A double click on the sample, then

1. Select 'Time and Pitch Machine' in the 'Factory' pull down menu,

2. Double click in the 'Transposition' window and alter it from 0 to 200 Cent.

3. Click the 'Process and Paste' button and that's it.

If that isn't the pitch you want go into the 'Edit' pull down menu and 'Undo Pitch' and try a different number of Cents until you're happy with it.

This- http://www.discogs.com/artist/Ionosphere

THIS - http://soundcloud.com/ionosphere

VIDEO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nYWkHCkaho

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2009/12/12 :  14:27:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Hahah dude I know, that's what I was talking about all the time :)
The problem is it's in cents! So it will take ages to find the correct key! :(

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2009/12/12 :  15:08:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Lol @ Cheese 30. As for finding the 'key' i've never used traditional methods in my entire life. I just use my ears! Anyway pitch shifting the sample isn't any different from just moving it up and down notes in the piano roll, and when you do shift it it will only be to one different note anyway so what about when you want to change its pitch again?

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2009/12/12 :  15:43:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Well if 1 cent = 1 note, it would be easy, but I don't think it's like that. I reckon it's unregular.

Meathead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
4,217 posts
Posted - 2009/12/12 :  15:49:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Meathead's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Revs:
Yeah I know, and then? There's no option to change the key. And the pitch doesn't allow me to choose the EXACT note I would like the sample to be in :/
You can just vary more of less.

What is this sample of?

"Music creates order out of chaos; for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous." -Sir Yehudi Menuhin

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2009/12/12 :  16:32:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
It's just one note, but I wouldn't know how to make a sound like that and what instrument to use, also many VST's do not work for mac and to use them in Logic I need another plugin which supports them, and which costs like 70€ :(
So I'd like to change it's key.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2009/12/12 :  16:46:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Just move it up and down in the piano roll until it's at the right pitch lol (with everything else). Pitch shifting the sample is of no benefit whatsoever. It's exactly the same thing just far more complicated.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2009/12/12 16:46:58

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 3 pages long: 1  2  3
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.31 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page