of 5

Author Thread  
Stevie c
Advanced Member

Belgium
3,836 posts

204 hardcore releases
Stevie c has donated money to the site
Posted - 2003/01/23 :  00:36:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Stevie c's homepage
Espcially in a gabber set!!

Your into the sound of Rebellion

Alert moderator Go to top of page
toxic
Advanced Member

Australia
1,540 posts
toxic has attended 2 events
Posted - 2003/01/23 :  11:53:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit toxic's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Stevie c:
toxic....your so serious

im just picky about my music

Whisper something nice, and ill make you scream twice !!!

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2003/01/23 :  16:57:31  Show profile  Send a private message
quote:
Originally posted by Stevie c:
The carpenters along with the Jackson five are the next logical step,Teehee, I am holding back, what about the Brady bunch and partridge family? I guess even I would draw the line before that!!
But I do feel like original hiphop that dropping the unexspected is what makes cool Djs and the Carpenters would certainly be unexspected!!

ummm just what the hell are you on? i always thought the the carpenters should have hooked up w/ mc hammer =P

"Cuz I'm hardcore, heavyweight, magical man."

toxic
Advanced Member

Australia
1,540 posts
toxic has attended 2 events
Posted - 2003/01/23 :  17:18:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit toxic's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Brian K:
ummm just what the hell are you on?

yeh, i wanna know coz i dont wanna end up getting any by mistake

Whisper something nice, and ill make you scream twice !!!

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2003/01/29 :  02:17:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
I think i'd be a bit scared if i heard a remix of Close To You played while i was raving :P

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2003/01/29 02:19:45
Stevie c
Advanced Member

Belgium
3,836 posts

204 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/10 :  03:51:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Stevie c's homepage
Hard2get that is just what I mean!!
Fear is healthy and keeps you on your toes!!
It would have to be done well but 'Forever Autumn' from War of the World's absolutely rocks!! I do like the covers thing 'Dance with somebody' is better than the original, also notice has also had the Flip and Fill treatment lately ,no, i figure let's inflict it on them before they do it to us!!
I mean at least I didn't say Rinestone Cowboy!!
Oh and what ever I'm on, you can't have none cos you don't like my ideas and you can't come to my birthday party and I'm not your friend!!!............................can we make friends again?

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2003/02/10 :  04:05:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Hehe i was just kidding, i don't think it's a bad idea at all :) It might work well, like you said with Koas the tune :)

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2003/02/10 04:07:09
Stevie c
Advanced Member

Belgium
3,836 posts

204 hardcore releases
Posted - 2003/02/11 :  05:25:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Stevie c's homepage
Hard2get is deffinatly my friend now
You can come to my party and play what ever tunes you like 8-)

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2003/02/15 :  12:01:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Hehe cool :)

BumblesCrew

United Kingdom
66 posts
Posted - 2003/02/16 :  12:10:05  Show profile  Send a private message
WHAT IS GABBER?

Gabber is a branch of techno music - considered to be the hardest single style of techno there is. As stated above, gabber is usually fast and noisy, but equally important for gabber is its atmosphere of darkness and aggression. Real gabber sounds the way frustration feels! It's completely without compromises and the crap commercial elements of much of today's trance and house. It's music completely lacking respect and manners, which's just kept going by a solid, compact bassdrum banging with an energy, that's found nowhere else in techno.

Gabber is as well a word for people who listen gabber music. Sometimes also called as 'gabba', the term has come from dutch language in Holland/Netherlands. It should stand for a 'friend/lad/mate/doode/homeboy' or something like that. Apparently this is what media, people and ravers started to call those who were listening hardcore techno.

When the term gabba is mentioned, however, most people associate to the cheesy and deeply commercialized compilation-albums like 'Thunderdome' and 'Happy Hardcore'. While these records quite correctly are labeled as hardcore-albums, this is far from the whole story.

Gabber is dark, underground, steady beating of acts such as Nasenbluten or Manu Le Malin. It is Crapshot Records (very underground and innovative Britsh label), Industrial Strength (classic gabber-label from N.Y.), Bloody Fist (groundbreaking Australian label) and Storm (Scottish underground label).
Plus much more.

Gabber and hardcore is often defined by speed and by counting BPM (Beats Per Minute). It's a common view, that once a song exceeds 180 BPM, it's hardcore. And once it has reached 220, its gabber. However, gabber and hardcore is more than anything else, a matter of atmosphere and energy. The atmosphere is always dark and threatening, the energy aggressive and driving. Don't be concerned with counting the BPM!

Gabber is not speedblind, stupid music, only aiming to be fast and noisy. Because what distinguishes a good hardcore track from a bad one, is the ability to make something fast and noisy, which is also, at the same time, innovative, alternative and interesting to hear. This is where most 'Thunderdome'-acts run short. And this is probably where gabber got its bad reputation. Not from the true music of the scene, but from the cheezed out and dollarized attempts of making gabber and wanting to be mainstream in order to sell records. This is the same thing as if trance would be defined and judged after the standards of Antiloop and Sash...

WHAT ABOUT DIFFERENT STYLES IN HARDCORE & GABBER - ARE THERE ANY VARIATIONS?

A rough and arguable distinction could be the following:

HARDCORE
Techno with a compact and massive bassdrum, running at about 170 - 200 bpm. Its usually dark and contains an evil atmosphere, often set by the use of samples, such as curses and screams. It can also be slightly melodic and positive, but then its bordering to happy hardcore (see below).
Few examples :
'Napalm Rave' compilations 1 and 2
early 'Thunderdome' compilations 1 to ~10 (up to 1995/96) (ID&T / Arcade)
first 'Terrordrome' compilations 1 to 4 (these first 4 volumes were from Mokum)
'****ing Hardcore' compilations (Mokum / The All Blacks B.V.)
'Cyberdrome - Alien City part 1' compilation (1995 / Mokum / The All Blacks B.V.)
'Raver's Night' compilations 1 to 3 (Ruffneck / XSV)
'Demon Spirit - Bitch From Hell' compilation (1994 / ARS Productions / Columbia)
'Technohead' compilations 1 - 3 (React Music)
old 'House Party' hardcore compilations (9 to 13 ?) (ID&T ?)
80 AUM, Dano, Technohead (GTO / Salami Brothrs), Knightvision, Neophyte, Omar Santana,
SpeedFreak (Biochip C), Delta Nine(or Delta 9), Lenny Dee...
Rob Gee & Repete / Charly Lownoise & Mental Theo - 'Riot In N.Y.(Back The **** Up)'

HAPPY HARDCORE
Uses the same speeds as hardcore, but the atmosphere is a jollier, often funny and slightly silly. Samples can be pitched-up pop-hits like 'Macarena', 'Don't Speak', 'Turn Around' or 'Listen to Your Heart'. Also more often than not, the songs are filled with stupid MC-rap and "clap, clap, clap your hands"-chantings. Needless to say, this is more for the teenagers living-rooms than for the real dancefloors. But this is the mainstream hardcore and sadly these days just about all big european raves with some 'hardcore' listed in them are about this.
Few examples :
the 'old days' happy hardcore: Marusha, Mark Oh, Scooter (in beginning), Westbam, L.A.Style,
3 Steps Ahead (from 1997), The Prophet, The Stunned Guys, Paul Elstak, DJ Rob,
Charlie Lownoise & Mental Theo (exept for few early tracks),
actually most of 'Thunderdome' acts since 1995/96
MC Rage - '**** Macarena'
Party Animals - 'Hava Nagila'
Technohead - 'I Wanna Be A Hippy'

GABBER
Gabber in its true form is evil, aggressive, brutal and provocative techno, ranging in speed from 180 bpm to more than the double. The typical gabber-track is built up from a distorted 909 bassdrum, and kept going by the use of similarily distorted guitarsamples from speed- and black metal, blurry noises and sometimes acidic sounds. It also may contain vocalsamples from gangster-, war- and horror movies, often with a provocative and obscene theme.
Few examples :
'Terrordrome' compilations 5 to 10 (EDEL[Control] / Nordcore)
'Braindead' compilations 2 to 6 (ShockWave)
'Technohead 4 - Sound Wars' compilation (1997 / React Music)
'Industrial F**king Strength' compilations 1 and 2 (Industrial Strength Records / Earache),
Rob Gee, SpeedFreak(Biochip C), Laurent Hõ(Ingler), Liza'n'Eliaz, Nordcore, BSE DJ Team, Bakalla, B.C.Kid,
XolDog 400, DJ Freak, E605, E-De Cologne, Anal ****, many brilliant tracks from 'Napalm' label,
Lenny Dee - '****ing Hostile'
DJ Skinhead - 'Extreme Terror' [listen in RealAudio]
De Klootzakken - 'Dominee Dimitri'(1 and 2)
Nasenbluten (often referred as 'Bloody Fist' which is their label name) tracks like 'Intellectual Killer', '********er', '**** Face', 'No More ****ing Soul'
D.O.A. - 'Brooklyn Mob', 'Ya Mutha', 'Wanna Be A Gangsta'
HCM DJ - 'Speed Metal Gabber' - http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/7468/MGG-08.zip
HCM DJ - 'Beastie Guys' - http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/7468/MGG-09.zip
DJ Noizer - 'Can You Hear Me ?' - http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Disco/2088/hear_me2.zip
Downloadable ZIP files under links are packed 'tracker' modules or MP3 files, you can listen them after unextracting for example with WinAMP.

SPEEDCORE
The total ****-up of techno gone crazy.
With the kill- and ****-mentality of gabber, taken to its extreme, its the definate deathmetal of techno. Never below 250 bpm (usually 320 - 550bpm) and always with a dark and evil, sometimes satanic atmosphere. There are many guy's out there who tend to make speedcore, but often those track's are worth nothing :( To make music so extreme, so fast, you just must have some kind of skills. Anyone can take some horror movie samples, speed-metal guitars, put ****ed-up bassdrum in the back and say "That's speedcore!".
Often it's just shit! Now here is some really good speedcore :
HCM DJ vs. DJ Noizer - 'Mjolnir Does It Better' - http://tinpan.fortunecity.com/drumandbass/773/Mdib.zip
Rotello - 'We Won't Miss You M.F.'(Mad remix) - http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Stage/2961/roremix.zip
DJ Noisekick & Kerberos - '666 BPM-s' - http://thunder.prohosting.com/~kerberos/cgi-bin/download.cgi?btl-002.zip
Onslaught & Kerberos - 'Angels Of Death' - http://thunder.prohosting.com/~kerberos/cgi-bin/download.cgi?btl-003.zip
Downloadable ZIP files under links are packed 'tracker' modules or MP3 files, you can listen them after unextracting for example with WinAMP.
German speedcore site - WWW.SPEEDCORE.DE

WHAT IS IT WITH THE AGGRESSION IN GABBER - WHY???

This is a question often asked - why is gabber so aggressive?
What is it with all this drug thing. Are gabbers drugheads and extacy junkies?
What about the PLUR(Peace-Love-Unity-Respect) of techno and all of that?
Love, respect, hugging, flowers, glowstics, happy puppies, candy ravers and the hippie-culture...
What has gabber got to say about this?

Gabber contains aggression and frustration. So does life.
Its fine with all the love and happyness in the world and its great with all the parties celebrating this. But you can't go around denying the feelings of built-up frustration that are inevitable for the men and women of today's society. And you can't deny the urge and desire to just lift the lid off sometimes and just let it blow.
This is what hardcore and gabber is about.
Releasing pressure.
Without any need/help of chemicals. Only the Music being the drug. Or beer.
Celebrating and enjoying also the ****-ups of your life and getting rid of them by banging your head at a speaker, throwing at you a bass which's so solid and distorted and fast, that it just blows your worries out through your bleeding, tormented ears.

And then you go home.
You buy a flower for your mom or whatever!
You don't bring the aggression with you into everyday life and you don't let it hurt someone else.
You leave it laying on the dancefloor until next time.

ARE GABBERS NAZIS?

The aggressive attitude and the shaved heads of many gabbers, appearance with nazi skinheads, have given birth to the assumption that gabber is a fascist/nazi/skinhead movement. This is wrong.
Gabber is not a nazi-movement, although many gabbers have propitious/liberal attitude and views on racism, nationalism, nazism, anarchy and atheism. Also there are many good gabber tracks where the vocalsamples are taken from Hitler's or other figures speeches.

WHAT ABOUT THE SKULLS,CURSES & BLOOD - ISN`T THIS A LITTLE BIT CHILDISH?

Yes, it is childish.
But, it's also ironic and done with a lot of self-distance.
Take movies such as 'Pulp Fiction' or 'Starship Troopers'. Everybody realizes that these movies are made with an ironic blink of the eye - we often laugh at the gore, the blood and the hardboiled characters.
Its the same thing as with hardcore.
We laugh at the "a day without blood is like a day without sunshine"-sample from 'Full Metal Jacket'. We smirk on the dancefloor when the massive guitar-riot is interrupted by an upset girl shouting "i'm out of here, i leave you with nothing anymore - you piece of shit!". Or when in the beginning of a song, there's a distant moaning of someone being in pain and anguish. This is made to be fun and to provide an amusing surrounding to the equally aggressive and frustrated music. If you have a problem with this, look upon it as you look upon the blood and gore in 'Pulp Fiction' or 'Reservoir Dogs' (movies often sampled in gabber, by the way): its gross, its shocking and revolting... But it fits the theme of the story and it's still a damn good story!

IS THERE A DRESSCODE OR TYPICAL IMIE AMONG THE GABBERS?

Most gabbers don't give a **** about fashions or image. Many people just don't care! However, there are of course some trends and "should-be's". The military and camoflage-pattern is one thing. Shaved heads another. Black is the color of the day and shirts with a hood and some evil, provoking picture or text should make you feel at home anywhere.

OK,I WANT RECORDS - WHERE CAN I FIND THEM & WHAT SHOULD I BUY?

Finding 'Thunderdome' is easy. It is often stocked in most of the major record stores. Series like 'Rave Massacre', 'Napalm Rave', '****ing Hardcore', are also easy to find - or if you can't find them, just tell the store to order them for you. This is of course a good start, but you'd be seriously lacking what's considered to be real gabber and the risk is that you won't have found anything you like and hence get discouraged.

There is, however, two CD's around which are considerably better than the rest. These are the Industrial Strength's 'Industrial F**king Strength' compilation-albums and 'Terrordrome' series from 5 to 10. There you can find artists such as D.O.A. and Nasenbluten, BSE DJ Team, Bakalla and it's definately worth checking out. It should also be available - or possible to order - in major music stores. Worth checking out for what's not really gabber, but similarily ****ed-up, distorted noise with a lot of attitude and aggression is the Digital Hardcore Recordings discography. They've thrown in everything from jungle and techno to gabber and semi-metal, to provide you with a thorough soundtrack for your odd hours of frustration and confusion. Atari Teenage Riot is the best example of digital hardcore. Alec Empire is the groups front-figure.

To find the real gabber and speedcore, you need to buy records (vinyl) and for this you need to order them from your local 12"-retailor. If you just know the name of the record and the label, or better - the catalog number of record, this should be no problem.

These are some of the record labels to check out:
Napalm , Nordcore Rec. , Praxis , Ambush , Hangars Liquides , Épitéth (Ingler/Laurent Hõ) , Low Res Rec. , Rage Rec. , Crapshot Rec. , Freakshow / Dominion / Bad Taste Rec. , Drop Bass Network ( DBN , Six Sixty Six , Ghetto Safari ) , Bloody Fist Rec. , High Fashion Music , Industrial Strength Rec. / Earache , Things To Come Rec. , Blut , Widerstand (Eiterherd Widerstand) , Silent Revolution Rec. , Storm Rec. , Digital Hardcore Rec. , Rock and **** , Sounds Never Seen , ShockWave Rec. , Street Trash Alliance , Speedcore Rec. , Explore Toi , PCP / Acardipane , Fischkopf , Otaku , Fonky Fibe , Pikosso Records , Point 44 , Agent Orange , Analog , Anodyne , Antler Subway , Beat To Death Rec. , Black Monolith , Deadly Systems , Fear Rec. , Hard Line Rec. , Head**** Rec. , United Speedcore Nation Rec. , Virtual Pulse Rec. , Bastard Loud Rec. , Born To Kill , Def Wish Rec. , DKP , H2OH Rec. , Hard Of Hearing , Kill The Rest , Klote Rec. , Kotzaak , Kultbox Rec. , Never Mind Music , Oil Head / KAK-A Rec. , Strike Rec. , Total Hartcore Control , Underworld Rec. , Violent Rec. , X-Core Records , Elemental Force , React Music Ltd. , Great British Techno , A.C.V. Edizioni Musicali , Biophobia , Bit Bites Brain Rec. , Blaster , Boy Rec. , BOJU Rec. , Bumrush Music , Communism , Combined Forces , Coolman Rec.(releases) , Cosmic Label Collective , Disturbance Rec. , DJ.Ungle Fever , DJAX Rec. , EF-Core Production , Elevator , Epsilon , Firehand Rec. , Fukem , Future Shock Rec. , Dance Ecstasy 2001 , Happy Noize , Hartplastik , WASP / Hos Rec. Ltd. , Holographic , Hot Town Music , Inferno rec. , Influence Rec. , MOH , Music Research GmbH , Neophyte Rec. , Intense , ID&T , Mokum (releases) / The All Blacks B.V. , 80 AUM Rec. , Brrr Rec. , Bzrk Rec. , Cenobyte , Digital Overdose , Forze Rec. , Hellsound Rec. , Hellraiser Rec. , K.N.O.R. Rec. , XSV , Outland Rec. , Ruffneck , Ruffex , Ruff Beats rec. , Riot Beats , Rotterdam Rec. , Terror Trax , Trashcan Rec. , Titanium Steel , Test Crash Rec. , Killdozer , Astral Rec. , Baby Boom , Bad Vibes Rec. , Dwarf , Genlog , Pengo , Rave Records , European Rave Records , European Hardcore United , Manifold Rec. , Master Maximum Rec. , Megarave Rec. , MidTown Rec. , Mille Plateaux , Mono Tone , Ozon , Point 44 , Powertraxx , Propulsion 285 , Psycho Safari , Rabbit City , Red Level , Reload , Rising High , Roadster Music B.V. , Boedha Rec. , Seashore Music , Sub Tone , Suck Me Plasma , Force Inc. , Low Spirit , Super Special Corp Frankfurt , Traxtorm Rec. , War Records , Weird Beard Rec. , XXC3 , ZYX , ESP/Sun Music , Edel ...

I hope that answered any questions you had Jamie T :)

whispering

Finland
8,453 posts
whispering has donated money to the site
Posted - 2003/02/16 :  23:53:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
^^ That was very instructive, But i dont agree with the part you sayd that
happy hardcore is for mainstream teenagers, it just seems that you hate hhc, and really dont know anything about it, and since you dont respect hhc, it sounds so stupid coz the same time your trying to break the image of an stereotype gabber. and i consider stunned guys as hardcore not happy hardcore, but thats just me...

Anyway the gabber part was very instructive...

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2003/02/17 :  00:29:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage
BumblesCrew, did you write that or did you cut & paste it from somewhere else?

BumblesCrew

United Kingdom
66 posts
Posted - 2003/02/17 :  01:09:22  Show profile  Send a private message
I cut & paste from a gabber web sites FAQ page.Whispering i don`t agree with all the points on it either & i also consider The Stunned Guys to be Hardcore/Gabba.I just put it up to answer & questions Jamie T or anybody else might have as i would like to introduce as many people as possable to the music iv loved so much for many years.Cheers!!! :P

strychnine
Advanced Member

Australia
2,268 posts

92 hardcore releases
strychnine has attended 2 events
Posted - 2003/02/17 :  01:38:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit strychnine's homepage
Cool. I figured as much.

Simon
Advanced Member

Belgium
5,001 posts
Simon has donated money to the site Simon has attended 5 events
Posted - 2003/02/17 :  01:58:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Simon's homepage
Yeah I've read that on a gabba site before an interesting Dark red coloured site :-)

It introduced me to speedcore several years back.....now that stuffs a little too insane :-)

Topic is 5 pages long: 1  2  3  4  5
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.39 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page