Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

How to improve?

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2013/07/16 :  21:39:18  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
Yo!

Been making tunes for three years now and I think I've even made one of these threads before but I'm concerned again.

I believe I've gotten quite good production-wise (quite good) and I have a lot of ideas and stuff going on but I never seem to really get any listens or even downloads on free tracks despite pasting all over - facebook, youtube, forum and communities. It's like my music is downright terrible and nobody wants to tell me. The thing is, I draw comparisons... like if someone can like THAT, why can't they like THIS?

Like my last couple of tunes I've pasted have like 22-25 listens in total, from all the sources I pasted and I have 201 followers. It downright saddens me and I want to know what's wrong with what I make so I don't keep making a fool out of myself! Many times I've gone "bah I'll just quit producing music" but I love it so much and I'm back in a week and then the story repeats.

Anyone with CONSTRUCTIVE, HONEST criticism for me?

My soundcloud

My SOUNDCLOUD

Alert moderator
Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2013/07/16 :  21:42:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
It happens to me too, don't worry about it and just keep doing what you're doing. I've made loads of mixes and tracks over the years that never get/got noticed. Just remember that writing music (and making mixes) should be done for you and if others enjoy it then even better but first and foremost it should be about you.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Mortis on 2013/07/16 21:43:59
Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2013/07/16 :  21:49:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
I just can't ignore it! I'm scared to death I'm one of those people spread to 4chan and made fun of, "LOL LISTEN TO THIS!", as have I done to music! XD

My SOUNDCLOUD

Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,677 posts
Warnman has attended 2 events
Posted - 2013/07/16 :  22:45:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage
Don't worry! Music barely gets the credit what it deserves when it comes to art. I ask people which was the last last played track they have heard on the radio was and barely anyone even remembers, because they simply don't pay any attention to the music. They only turn on radio to be rushed "entertained" - no matter what shit was on-air. That's how bitches like Rihanna or Lady Gaga earn money these days. Without the current mainstream society (minimalistic persons) no one would seriously would care about them and they'd got stuck in selling their bodies on the streets of NYC and LA, what they've strongly deserved for and really must be faced to with for the rest of their ugly lives.

"Happy Hardcore: Love it... hate it... it's fun!" (Matt Stokes)

scottyd2k9
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
749 posts
Posted - 2013/07/17 :  01:13:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit scottyd2k9's homepage
It's hard to find good tracks on soundcloud. If you follow a lot of people an there posting tracks up all the time Then it's hard to listen to every track.

Im following alot of people. And its hard to catch up with some of the newer tracks they post.

Another thing my hotmail inbox is flooded full of soundcloud tracks that's been shared to me..

Dont worry about it. More people will find you soon an start following you. Just keep at it !

Simon
Advanced Member

Belgium
5,001 posts
Simon has donated money to the site Simon has attended 5 events
Posted - 2013/07/17 :  04:41:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Simon's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:
Just remember that writing music (and making mixes) should be done for you and if others enjoy it then even better but first and foremost it should be about you.

Exactly so.

If you're not enjoying it, then there's a problem. If however you do it out of a labour of love, that's important.

Everyone gets "writers block" from time to time. A couple of ideas to spruce things up, 1) try writing something in a completely different genre. 2) try and find a production partner who you get on well with, ideally someone who compliments your styles, but mostly just someone to keep bouncing ideas off.

DJ John Jarvis

United Kingdom
71 posts
Posted - 2013/07/17 :  07:20:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ John Jarvis's homepage
I've had a quick listen and some of your tracks are very good and some are just average like with most artists. It's hard enough as it is getting plays on Soundcloud but narrow it down to lesser known genres such as hardcore and it gets even worse. I made a track in 2006 which was one of the first I posted online to Soundclick.com when the trancy stuff was more popular and it has racked up 370,237 plays and got to number 1 in the sites charts but the rest of my stuff despite being way better no where near. If only I knew the formula to how I done that but I still make stuff for fun and appreciate the very rare comments I do get these days. It's a bit about skill but mostly about luck or failing that spamming the hell out of people although I've never tried that so I don't know whether it's very effective.

Email: [email protected]
Windows Live Messenger: [email protected]

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2013/07/17 :  15:19:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
I do it cause I love it but there's also the good feeling of making something others enjoy. :) I do agree that hardcore is a small scene but that can also be a good thing, as much as it can be a bad thing for the lesser known. :) Actually not exclusively hardcore but that's what I enjoy the most making. Teamed up with D-tor for a tune (that was actually quite popular on soundcloud) and we tried again but we just couldn't make another track! XD

@ John jervis - Cheers mate! It's the same with me. My first free track got posted on kraftyradio.com's newsfeed and reached the dl limit, etc, but since then it's been quiet, and that was what... three years ago or so? XD

My SOUNDCLOUD

Edited by - Quicksilver on 2013/07/17 15:21:05
EnviousHardcore

United Kingdom
49 posts
Posted - 2013/07/17 :  17:54:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit EnviousHardcore's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
Yo!

Been making tunes for three years now and I think I've even made one of these threads before but I'm concerned again.

I believe I've gotten quite good production-wise (quite good) and I have a lot of ideas and stuff going on but I never seem to really get any listens or even downloads on free tracks despite pasting all over - facebook, youtube, forum and communities. It's like my music is downright terrible and nobody wants to tell me. The thing is, I draw comparisons... like if someone can like THAT, why can't they like THIS?

Like my last couple of tunes I've pasted have like 22-25 listens in total, from all the sources I pasted and I have 201 followers. It downright saddens me and I want to know what's wrong with what I make so I don't keep making a fool out of myself! Many times I've gone "bah I'll just quit producing music" but I love it so much and I'm back in a week and then the story repeats.

Anyone with CONSTRUCTIVE, HONEST criticism for me?

My soundcloud

Here is my 2 cents.

Be more involved with what you're doing. Get talking with other producers who are at your speed, collaborate, and **** boundaries!

You need to be active, and in people's face, if you're waiting for people to magically stumble across your music and tell you how awesome it is, you're wasting your time. There are 100's out there who are doing the same, and probably better getting the same amount of ****s given by everrrryone else. Absolute zero.

Step outside your comfort zone, seek out other production websites that will ruin you to bare minimum in production and engineering. No one is too good for criticism>

Join in on friendly banter on social sites with other producers, get friendly, ask for some remix work. Take your production seriously.

I'm guilty of this, but try and make each track a master piece, if you spam half arsed rubbish, WIP's or a generally rubbish track, people WILL automatically associate you with rubbish. I've seen this happen..

Approach labels with new tracks, there will be one that will take you on, probably because they are money grabbers, but you could get lucky and they'll actually want to showcase your track.

Bitches love vocals! It doesn't have to be cheesy, it just has to be catchy. Throw in as many acids as you'd like, gabber the **** out of that bitch, but make it.. catchy.

In a nut shell.

Be Active
Mingle
Collaborate
More vocal work
Work.. HARD
Sell yourself.. If you're waiting to be discovered, you're wasting time that could be spend doing something productive.
Remix Work! (If you remix a track and the original producer likes it, they'll push it for you, thus creating more of a name for yourself)
Don't be a dick.. this should be rule 1.

These are my 2 cents.. do what you will with the info provided.

Damaged

http://SoundCloud.com/Damaged

Shades
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,189 posts
Posted - 2013/07/17 :  19:38:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Shades's homepage
also adding to that....

imho, leaving criticism or comments on other producers tracks will also get you noticed,
scratch my back i'll scratch youres sort of thing, it doesn't always work, but most will notice the effort you put in & eventually return the favour.

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2013/07/17 :  20:56:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
Some great tips, thank you. :)

My SOUNDCLOUD

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2013/07/18 :  08:10:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
I think you'll find the main problem is that there are so many people making music these days that standing out is a difficult thing to do. Especially in a very small scene like Hardcore where 50% of people who listen to it are an artists or some sort or a promoter.

I think the first thing to do is develop your own style, you need to stand out in some way. Secondly, spam, spam, spam. Unfortunately in this digital age succeeding is all about self-promotion on a mass scale.

In terms of improving production speaking to other producers and taking in there feedback is about the best thing you can do. If you can get in the studio with someone who really knows what they're doing as it's a great way to learn and pick up tricks. Try and take time to experiment with new things and get out your usual comfort zone too. Even if you don't end up with a track at the end of it it's a worthwhile learning exersise.

Edited by - Audio Warfare on 2013/07/18 08:12:45
Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/08/07 :  01:32:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
quote:
I just can't ignore it! I'm scared to death I'm one of those people spread to 4chan and made fun of, "LOL LISTEN TO THIS!", as have I done to music! XD

That would be sweet for getting tons of tonedeaf followers quickly though. :P

I think I had a listen through a couple of your tracks last time I read this thread and if I remember correctly I thought they were good (definitely not worthy of shaming on 4chan!)

I've got a fraction of that number following me but my take on it is that followers would only really matter if I was trying to eventually make money out of production and mixing (which I have no intention to do at any point). I care a little bit, of course I do (and that's only natural because it's like an affirmation of what you're doing and how you're choosing to spend your time) but I couldn't see myself giving up even if I never make it past 40 followers or whatever.

Anyway, the point is that you don't suck at all, you're just experiencing the effects of market saturation firsthand. I'd imagine it's quite hard to get anything heard these days no matter how much self-promotion you do simply because there's so much background noise.

Edit: I just followed you :)

Edited by - Elliott on 2013/08/07 01:34:04
Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2013/08/12 :  00:48:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage
quote:
Some great tips, thank you. :)

Be sure to get involved in the next PPF project, and other similar projects for that matter.

this years album has hit the 2000 download mark after being released only 4 months ago. Its a great way to learn from and get involved with the producers of the site as well as having thousands of people checking out your material.

ceilingtiles
Starting Member

United States
5 posts
Posted - 2013/08/20 :  03:54:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ceilingtiles's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:
writing music (and making mixes) should be done for you

Absolutely.
If you make it for yourself, you get to be both your own worst critic, and your number one motivator. And if you critique yourself harshly, and someone else agrees, at least you said it first. You also get to learn how to make yourself a better writer / producer!

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.12 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page