Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

drifting beats

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2013/05/14 :  17:19:30  Show profile Send a private message
got a few vinyl rips where the beats drift like f*ck making it difficult to mix . is there any programs ( preferably free ) that i can use to fix it? thanks

Alert moderator
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,996 posts
Posted - 2013/05/14 :  19:01:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
I think it has more to do with the turntable it was ripped from. As far as I know, there aren't any programs to fix tempo....

unless you split it up like a .rex file and then quantized the whole thing.

hmmm.

come to think of it, Reason 7 cuts up audio into .rex files but I think your best bet is to rip the tracks from a stable (preferably direct-drive) turntable, again.

http://www.brightspeedrecordings.com/

Alert moderator Go to top of page
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2013/05/14 :  19:06:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
so basically buy a better turntable to rip them with? fair enough, i'll have to save up.

Edited by - wong on 2013/05/14 19:07:17
_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2013/05/14 :  19:11:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_FunDaBounce:
I think your best bet is to rip the tracks from a stable (preferably direct-drive) turntable, again.

What's a direct-drive turntable dude?

wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2013/05/14 :  19:13:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
one not being driven by belts

Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2013/05/14 :  22:48:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by _Jay_:
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_FunDaBounce:
I think your best bet is to rip the tracks from a stable (preferably direct-drive) turntable, again.

They are decks that aren't driven by a belt but a motor. The advantage is that you don't get a slow speed up sound when you release the record to play it. They start at the original tempo it's set too whereas belt drives slowly speed up the record to the tempo. Some directs suffer from vibration due to the motor but that's mainly older decks.

Serenity
Average Member

United States
173 posts
Serenity has attended 4 events
Posted - 2013/05/15 :  00:42:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Serenity's homepage
Find a friend with technics (or comparable) to do the ripping. Lower end direct drives still have major torque issues that might cause some drifting when the recording starts. (Or try to find true digital copies - a lot of older tracks are available from labels/artists that were ripped from the DATs)

DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,996 posts
Posted - 2013/05/15 :  02:46:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wong:
so basically buy a better turntable to rip them with? fair enough, i'll have to save up.

I was thinking more along the lines of what Serenity said (technics/borrow)

quote:

What Wong and Mortis said :)

http://www.brightspeedrecordings.com/

_Jay_
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,868 posts
_Jay_ has attended 41 events
Posted - 2013/05/15 :  09:59:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit _Jay_'s homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:
They are decks that aren't driven by a belt but a motor. The advantage is that you don't get a slow speed up sound when you release the record to play it. They start at the original tempo it's set too whereas belt drives slowly speed up the record to the tempo. Some directs suffer from vibration due to the motor but that's mainly older decks.

Cheers Stu, very helpful. I know nothing of this vinyl/turntable world. Something I'm looking to rectify in the coming years. :-)

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/05/28 :  13:45:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
Personally I wouldn't mix vinyl rips anymore because of the massive difference in quality and frequency compared to digital releases when you try to mix and match. Vinyl rips of anything after about 2003 just sound awful. I assume you're probably talking about old skool or happy hardcore though so carry on!

quote:
Originally posted by _Jay_:
quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:

Cheers Stu, very helpful. I know nothing of this vinyl/turntable world. Something I'm looking to rectify in the coming years. :-)

Choosing the wrong time to get into vinyl really!

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2013/05/28 :  14:14:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
No way! He chose the right time! People don't want it anymore and it costs nothing. The fact there is no new stuff in the Hardcore world coming out is secondary to that i think.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2013/05/28 14:14:32

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.44 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page