Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

lost my mojo

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2013/05/07 :  02:07:52  Show profile Send a private message
i'm don't know how to explain it but since i got my pc back in full working order i can't seem to do anything production or mixing wise when i'm making a track i can make riffs etc fine but can't seem to put evrything together properly when i play it back it sounds all crap n out of place and i've never really had this kin of problem before

but thats not my main problem since i got my pc working again i literally can't mix for shit normally even if i'm just messing around like quick mixing and shit i can normally get it bang on (sometimes i would be slightly out of time) but now i can't seem to do that properly i don't know if i'm just trying too hard and that's what is causing me to make so many mistakes or the fact that i aint had any grass in 2 months because normally when i have a smoke i sit and mix for hours and seem to be able to get pretty much every transition perfect (and thats without using the sync button aswell)

is it possible that cannabis makes me better at producing and mixing or am i just in a slump???

Alert moderator
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,996 posts
Posted - 2013/05/07 :  03:47:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
First of all, congratulations on 2 months without smoking weed.
Been clean myself for 10 years now.

Drugs in general give you a heightened sense of awareness. That's why many musicians use them, unfortunately. I say unfortunately, because life in general is tough enough as it is (we all have slumps, even off of drugs). When you add drugs to the equation you're just making every aspect of your life that much harder, including dj'ing and production. What you want is a clear mind when making music, not distorted senses.

http://www.brightspeedrecordings.com/

Alert moderator Go to top of page
kathryn
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,520 posts
kathryn has attended 3 events
Posted - 2013/05/07 :  07:56:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit kathryn's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_FunDaBounce:
First of all, congratulations on 2 months without smoking weed.
Been clean myself for 10 years now.

Drugs in general give you a heightened sense of awareness. That's why many musicians use them, unfortunately. I say unfortunately, because life in general is tough enough as it is (we all have slumps, even off of drugs). When you add drugs to the equation you're just making every aspect of your life that much harder, including dj'ing and production. What you want is a clear mind when making music, not distorted senses.

Phobz
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
893 posts

13 hardcore releases
Posted - 2013/05/07 :  09:25:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Phobz's homepage
FunDaBounce hit the nail on the head hehe. Practice drug free and you will get even better than you was I would imagine :)

I always have a weird phase when making music. Sometimes I am really productive and get some music made then after that it takes me a couple of months to put a track together (currently in this grrr) it's annoying...

I think even when you have beer music sounds better. It also depends on your mood. If your happy the music will sound more uplifting etc. If you feel your doing bad it's going to be hard to enjoy what your doing because your in that state of mind. Keep pushing :)

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,150 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2013/05/07 :  09:36:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Just to counter that statement. Kevin Smith (the guy behind Jay & Silent Bob and the Askew univserse movies, and some wierd role in Die Hard 4.0, aswell as being Silent Bob himself), can't produce a movie without taking a spliff.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2013/05/07 09:36:23
The Dopeman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,393 posts
Posted - 2013/05/07 :  15:21:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Dopeman's homepage
i've been cutting down slowly over the last year i used to smoke an ounce a month (mainly coz i could get it at half price) then cut down to half an ounce then a quarter had to sort out a bit for today (only a half quarter) coz my dyspraxia is literally taking over and making me do stupid shit and grass seems to make me focus on anything i need to do and make me do it without becoming distracted or lose interest

i've decided this time to use it to clear my head (i mainly smoked it primarily to get wasted n make tunes or play computer games which isn't as appealing anymore) so i'm gonna find my tent and go camping in the woods with my dog to try and think of ways of sorting out other crap in my life other than music spending far too much time around technology...plus the weather is gorgeous and in scotland that is very rare so i'm taking advantage of that :D

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2013/05/09 :  12:06:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
When you add drugs to the equation you're just making every aspect of your life that much harder, including dj'ing and production.

Very true. Even if you don't have any difficulties in life. Having to constantly adjust from being high/drunk and being sober is a big distraction from life.

Elliott
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,137 posts
Posted - 2013/05/13 :  19:00:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Elliott's homepage
No, you think you're better at those things when you're high because things naturally sound better. Alternatively you might actually just be in a slump.

I do it all the time. (Un)fortunately I'm on something more often than not so I permanently think I'm doing a better job of things than I am. Personally I find the mixdowns I do on stimulants (and most other drugs) particularly shitty. If I come back to it sober I'll wonder what the **** I was doing.

Overall I'd say no drug actually makes you any better, in objective terms, at mixing or production (or a lot of other things). Weed, empathogens and mild hallucinogens might make you somewhat more creative in the initial stages of making a track but when it comes to doing anything after that, you won't be as good.

Anyway, I'd echo what others have said before me. Keep going without the spliff and try to be kind to yourself about it all because the transition back to sobriety and the associated processes (neurochemical upregulation etc.) take time. You will naturally be worse at most things during that transition but it's not indicative of anything long-term. Keep it up!

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.14 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page