Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

CDJ w/ Midi

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
carldj90

United States
299 posts
carldj90 has attended 1 event
Posted - 2013/01/11 :  14:46:22  Show profile Send a private message  Visit carldj90's homepage
Hi I'm looking on ebay for a pair of CDJ's to buy, but I don't really understand which ones are midi and which ones are timecode? When I search google nobody really gives a complete answer.

I want to use my CDJ's with Traktor Pro and not scratch :)

thanks!

Alert moderator
Kayin

United States
52 posts
Posted - 2013/01/11 :  16:05:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kayin's homepage
I'll help give you an idea of what everything means.

Midi controllers: These are an "all-in-one" DJ setup. They usually give you a CDJ looking mount (jogwheel with a play/pause, sync, pitch control, etc) on two sides and a basic mixer with 3EQ (Bass, Mid, Treb), volume faders and a crossfader. With this, you can have something to control your DJ software without having to spend a lot.

Timecodes are add-ons to your DJ set you may already have so you don't need to buy a midi controller. It sends a blank signal from your turntable or CDJ to your computer and that signal acts as a controller. In other words, if you had turntables, on deck A you can have a song playing through your computer and on deck B, you can have a scratch record. Same thing applies to CDJs, except people generally don't scratch with them so you could just use your own burned CDs.

With that said, it sounds like you're looking for something to control Traktor Pro and not have to worry about getting Traktor Scratch Pro, so you should be looking for midi controllers. Midi controllers range from $50 to $1000 and some are specifically made for programs (Traktor Pro's midi controller are the S2 (2 channels - http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-kontrol-s2/) and S4 (4 channels), but you don't HAVE to get those. Any midi controller will work with any dj program (to my knowledge except Serato), but it may not work exactly as you want it to unless you manually program it to, or there's no option for it on the controller.

Anyway I'll check back later, but here's a few questions for you:
What's your budget? What do you want to do (do you want something with a good jogwheel for spinbacks/scratching, using effects, or just wanting to learn)? Or do you want actual DJ gear (CDJs or Turntables or both :P)? If so, you'll have to invest in timecodes. The cheapest that actually works is Traktor Scratch Pro (Do NOT buy Hercules DeeJay Trim. Its ass!).

W: Well it's clearly no match for Jonathan Ross.
J: Well that's interesting because I f*cked your mom.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
carldj90

United States
299 posts
Posted - 2013/01/11 :  16:16:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit carldj90's homepage
Hi Kayin thank you for the reply :)

I actually own a Numark Mixdeck! I use CDs when I get CD singles or any hardcore unmixed CD. While I use my Midi for my digital collection.

I'm looking for CDJs as every midi controller I've owned hasn't really held up too well. While the pioneer midi controllers look nice I think the T1 has small knobs and the SX has the beat grid thingy which I'm not too sure on. If I'm gonna spend a grand on a midi controller I figured I'd just get used CDJs and a new mixer...

I was looking at a pair of CDJ-400's used on Ebay starting bid 680 buy now 750. My budget for CDJ's is $800. A DJM will have to come in the following weeks after. I just want to stop worrying about my equipment! :P

Edited by - carldj90 on 2013/01/11 16:17:19
Kayin

United States
52 posts
Posted - 2013/01/11 :  17:56:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Kayin's homepage
Gotcha :P
Well I'm not sure about the Mixdeck since I don't own one but I have used it before and it felt pretty sturdy.
But from what I've heard from a bunch of bedroom to club djs, Pioneer and Denon CDJs are solid and reliable so basically any of those would work, just it'll cost more to have more options and doodads.

Gemini is cheap and reliable as well but not always. I own a pair of the CDJ-600s and rarely, and I mean rarely does it sometime skip during a song. I 'DJed' at a friend's halloween party and I had 0 issues with it for the past...oh 4 or 5 hours? So its rarely an issue but just letting you know (just throwing that out there if you're wanting to save a bit).

As for the CDJ 400s, those are good and I say if you can afford it, buy it. If you're willing to spend an extra $50 past your budget, you can up to the CDJ800s (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pair-of-Pioneer-CDJ-800-MK2-CD-DJ-Turntables-/281049784577?pt=US_DJ_Turntables&hash=item416fdf6101).
If you're wanting to know if they're reliable, both Cotts and Ravine (Mainly his turntables though) use these.

Best of luck to ya ^_^

W: Well it's clearly no match for Jonathan Ross.
J: Well that's interesting because I f*cked your mom.

carldj90

United States
299 posts
Posted - 2013/01/11 :  18:16:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit carldj90's homepage
Thank you for your help Kayin :)

The 800's can go midi correct?

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.12 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page