Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

My Mixes

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,150 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/12/14 :  18:31:03  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
I've always wondered what people have thought off my mixes. I know that most people who have commented about them have never really been negative. I'd say most like my track selection... but no one has really mentioned my mixing. Even I know I'm not spot on, and I do cheat using the beatgrid in VirtualDJ (but I dont use automated mixing or beatmatching as I've never really understood how to set up the first, and beatmatching is horrible in VirtualDJ when it comes to Hardcore... unless you like clanging).

But for those who have listened to my mixes (recently or since I started mixing), what do you actually think? I'm not asking in an effort to improve myself (I do like my crappy mixing somehow, but I need to learn when and where to take risk mixing tracks that usually doesn't fit), I just want to know a little more :)

And, while I'm at it. How the f* do you mix trance? =P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Alert moderator
Charger

Singapore
278 posts
Posted - 2012/12/16 :  12:17:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Charger's homepage
Mix 48's good stuff. I think your mixes are quite good, cross-hardcore genre mixing from UK Hardcore to makina and gabber. :D

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Charger on 2012/12/16 12:23:38
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2012/12/16 :  12:35:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
have you always used vdj? i would love you to upload a vid of you mixing on vdj so i could see how you mix and maybe learn a little

a video like this

Edited by - wong on 2012/12/16 12:41:21
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,150 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2012/12/16 :  14:49:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Wong: since VirtualDJ has vary of skins, some people use that one, but I don't (so I miss out on some stuff like low freq crossfaders). That video is probably is for teaching people how and when to start the next track, which i think explains why he doesnt bother to correct the missmatch (you can clearly hear the clanging).

I actually re-recorded my latest mix just to show what I usually do when I try to find tracks to mix. This, in the end is also what i do when i record it. As you can see, I (lame or not) basicly only use crossfader unless I need to lower either low/mid/high freq on incoming track.

Note: I usually dont speed up that quikcly, skip or touch the master :P

http://youtu.be/PJrTOG3ZIcA

Edited by - Samination on 2012/12/16 15:02:10
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2012/12/16 :  17:10:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
i still use that mixlab skin ( suppose i just dont like change lol ) i should try the others really. do you use a controller or just a keyboard and mouse?

good vid there btw you mix quite different than i do i may try some techniques you use

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,150 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2012/12/16 :  17:56:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage

Most has been changed, except the table (is falling apart :P) and the mixer itself.

When I mix, I try to use the mixer (the wheels help finetuning the tracks to eachother. I don't use them for scratching), but I have configured my numpad for 2 effects and the crossfader, so I can try out tracks without having to take out the mixer.

I use this style of mixing mostly because I dont have virtualdj configured for 2 outputs/splitted output.

Edited by - Samination on 2012/12/16 17:57:55
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2012/12/16 :  18:09:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
been looking at them hercules controllers myself, maybe after christmas i shall get 1

Edited by - wong on 2012/12/16 18:10:29
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,150 posts

195 hardcore releases
Posted - 2012/12/16 :  19:07:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Some tips that I use.

I use the largest VDJ 7 2-deck skin (1440x900). It does lack the crossfader for Loq/Mid/High frequencies (it got knobs instead), but I feel that it's easy accessable.

Disable auto gain if you want to maximize the volume. I hate that most of my mixes from are as low as -6dB (except when 2 tracks play on each other). And if you use (mostly or only the) crossfader, set it to smooth. This will make the songs be somewhat quieter when the crossfader is in the middle (and about 20% into the track you move the crossfader towards).

IF you ever get a Hercules MP3 Mixer (or one of those that resembles mine). Reprogram it, because ever since Atomix changed from 3 effects on the skins to only 1, they did the same on the mixer buttons. Instead of having 3 effects, you got 1 effect and the 2 others are choice buttons.

Here's my setup (and the effects I mostly use)

FX1
quote:
var 'djc' 0 ? effect "BeatGrid" active

FX2
quote:
var 'djc' 0 ? effect "flanger" active

FX3
quote:
var 'djc' 0 ? effect "backspin" active

wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2012/12/16 :  19:37:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
thanks ill keep that in mind ( or re-visit this page when i get one ) lol

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.22 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page