Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

New speakers/monitors!!

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Claxton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,053 posts
Claxton has attended 3 events
Posted - 2012/11/25 :  11:57:26  Show profile Send a private message
I'm looking to get a new system but to be honest i'm really unsure where to start.

My budget is around 250 tops (for a pair).

The main use will be for DJ'ing and general use. I do like to produce a little too but it's not a priority at the moment.

I guess my question is... are studio monitors suitable for for use whilst on the decks? Will pushing up the volume damage them? Will the the 'true sound' be appropriate for when DJ'ing and will monitors (within my budget) carry enough low end for general usage?

What would you guys recommend?

Alert moderator
Lorenzo.Tweakn
Advanced Member

United States
1,327 posts
Lorenzo.Tweakn has attended 2 events
Posted - 2012/11/25 :  14:13:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lorenzo.Tweakn's homepage
http://www.alesis.com/m1active520 i own those for production. the low end is boosted on them. which sucks for producing but for mixing & general listening they'd well work for.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2012/11/25 :  15:50:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
To my ears monitors sound far superior to standard speakers in every way. Yes they will be suitable, no pushing the volume won't damage them. Depending on the size there should be plenty of low end. Just don't get the smallest nearfield monitors. Just depends on weather you really want to spend the money. If at all possible i would recommend listening to a pair first to see if you really feel it is a worthwhile investment.
I agree that Alesis M1's are a good choice. They are pretty big so tons of bass. And they are within your budget (or they were) at about 200 pounds.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/11/25 15:51:59
Claxton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,053 posts
Claxton has attended 3 events
Posted - 2012/11/29 :  10:21:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Claxton's homepage
Cheers for the response guys.

What do people think about the Rokits? I know there's a lot of split opinions on them. I think like you said it's going to have to be a case of getting out there and listening to them before I buy.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/krk_rp5_rokit_g2_bundle.htm

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2012/11/29 :  10:42:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
The Rokits are OK as a budget monitor speaker but are no good as DJ speakers IMO. A lack of bass makes them not much fun for that application.

The Alesis mentioned above probably would be more fun for DJ use as they do indeed have a bass boost but they get very hot with extended high volume use so I'd avoid personally.

Do you have a decent Hi Fi amp already? I'd go for a set of basic Bower and Wilkins like 685's or something but that'll be out of your budget I guess. Perhaps look at some decent Pioneer speakers or the likes if you already have an amp you can use.

Edited by - Audio Warfare on 2012/11/29 10:43:30
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2012/11/29 :  12:56:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
The Alesis mentioned above probably would be more fun for DJ use as they do indeed have a bass boost

You don't need it anyway, they already produce a ton of bass. Certainly more than enough for the bedroom lol. Although that applies to most monitors imo.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/11/29 12:57:07
Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2012/11/29 :  13:30:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
quote:
The Alesis mentioned above probably would be more fun for DJ use as they do indeed have a bass boost

You don't need it anyway, they already produce a ton of bass. Certainly more than enough for the bedroom lol. Although that applies to most monitors imo.

Yeah I don't mean a bass boost function or anything, just that they are effective bass heavy speakers. ;) Intentional on the manufacturers part I imagine so that people think they are dope speakers cus of all that Bazz111!!!!1

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.89 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page