Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Basslines

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/21 :  14:44:24  Show profile Send a private message
Hi just a quick question. Can basslines be double chorded as in root key of c2 and secondary note on f3 and a4 but the secondary notes panned and vol reduced so it is only just heard. Or similar chords

Alert moderator
cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2012/10/21 :  17:08:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
Its not common in HC but do whatever sounds right to the track

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - cruelcore1 on 2012/10/21 17:08:58
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/21 :  18:07:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
Sorry forgot to mention. Doing chorded basslines for fatness.

DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,996 posts
Posted - 2012/10/21 :  21:42:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
It's pretty much the same principal as layering. The thing with playing chords for fatness is that you'll be choosing specific notes/pitches that use the same timbre.

http://www.brightspeedrecordings.com/

Edited by - DJ_FunDaBounce on 2012/10/21 21:43:00
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/21 :  22:25:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
You couldnt alter the root key too much though as it would make the whole song out of key. But if the secondary chord notes are low enough in volume to alter the sound a little it should sound fine. The main leads are often chirded this way too and the pads and keys etc so the bass should be fine as long as it is above say 200hz which it would be at c4. I did some research and bass guitars do a trick for it. If the sony is in c major the bassist wont use chirds but chord progression arp sorta thingy. Instead of playing C, E and G together he would play them seperate to go with the rest of the song that is in C major. C being the root key. Otherwise the subsonic area is to great and makes the track muddy. But im not using low bass notes for the chords as i use a seperate mono layer for the lower sub freqs and a few layers for the hi-lows to hi's and its these layers that i would chord. It should also make the track more harmonic, because the synthline would use the same chords too as the bassline only more prominent than the bassline.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2012/10/21 :  23:21:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
This theory goes right over my head. I'm glad my ears tell me all i need to know. And simplicity. Oh how that is under rated it seems.
I think layering basses at best might work, but for sure is unnecessary. But when i say basses i mean true basses, not a higher octave sound playing the same part as the bass. Layering in that case can work well as with layering any sound. I think it's important to distinguish between the 2 though as they are very different things.
But to answer your question: you can do whatever you like if it sounds good. No one is going to stop you. You will know soon enough if it doesn't sound good an that's all the info you need. And what sounds good isn't always what other people are doing. The best examples of good electronic music i can think of are the best because they are doing what no one else does (or did before people copied them).

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/10/21 23:33:06

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.73 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page