Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Gammer

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/05 :  21:08:48  Show profile Send a private message
Does gammer layer everything and does he layer things to make them powerfull like his piano riffs. Ican only think he would have his main piano riff as 1 layer and then use an octave higher and lower as 2 seperate layers, eq all 3 laters differently and mono the lower keys full stereo spread the main chords and somewhere inbetween for the higher keys. And would probs do the same with synths pads kicks etc
Can anyone describe how you do it?

Alert moderator
Vitalism
Advanced Member

Canada
1,707 posts
Posted - 2012/10/05 :  21:57:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Vitalism's homepage
Unsure; but I do remember reading an interview with him from some magazine or something. I'm sure it's on these forums somewhere, from ages ago but I'm sure there are still some valuable nuggets of info in there that are still relevant.

Also. I would say trust your ears, if that's what you think you hear, it's probably is, or not that far from it.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Archefluxx
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,112 posts
Archefluxx has attended 2 events
Posted - 2012/10/05 :  21:59:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Archefluxx's homepage
Only Gammer can tell you how he does things. Layering octaves and sounds is a fantastic sound to get an enhanced and different sound. I suggest trial and error. Worst that can happen is that you get a completely new sound from whatever you choose to mix.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2012/10/05 :  23:18:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Never layer something because it doesn't already sound good by itself. That's my opinion.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/05 :  23:25:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
Never layer something because it doesn't already sound good by itself. That's my opinion.

Yeah but if everything else is layered then the leads or keys or bass will need layering or it would sound inadequate

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2012/10/06 :  01:11:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by electrogen:
quote:

Yeah but if everything else is layered then the leads or keys or bass will need layering or it would sound inadequate

What makes you think that? One of the main reasons for layering is to make the part sound big in contrast to everything else. If you make everything else 'big' then you are back where you started. There is also only so much space in the mix.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/10/06 01:15:19
Archefluxx
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,112 posts
Posted - 2012/10/06 :  01:14:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Archefluxx's homepage
quote:

Is this an opinion you've established first-hand?

In my opinion, every sound has its uses. Something that sounds bad in one song, used differently may sound great in another.

If a you find a sample that sounds bad (I dont mean bitrate), don't let that deter you. Dabble with everything. Layering two sounds creates something unique and different everytime. A sample that sounds bad on its own can sound good layered.

A raw sawtooth sounds horrible to me on its own. Only through layering other oscillators on it does it sound any good. It just so happens that the sawtooth is pretty much synonymic with Hardcore.

quote:
quote:
quote:

What makes you think that? One of the main reasons for layering is to make the part sound big in contrast to everything else. If you make everything else 'big' then you are back where you started. There is also only so much space in the mix.

Not true at all. I don't understand why you'd think that.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this is something you can only really know about if you try producing. I'm not aware of you ever producing, so I have no idea where you get these idea's from..

Edited by - Archefluxx on 2012/10/06 01:20:25
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2012/10/06 :  01:21:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Archefluxx:
quote:

Is this an opinion you've established first-hand?

In my opinion, every sound has its uses. Something that sounds bad in one song, used differently may sound great in another.

If a you find a sample that sounds bad (I dont mean bitrate), don't let that deter you. Dabble with everything. Layering two sounds creates something unique and different everytime. A sample that sounds bad on its own can sound good layered.

I think so. If you are choosing something knowing it won't work by itself with the intention of adding to it to make a different sound then that's not necessarily what i mean. If the sound you want is a detuned saw lead, but you for some reason you can't get the sound you want, then piling things on top of it isn't going to either. But it doesn't matter anyway, we don't have to agree on the matter. In fact, i feel the complete opposite regarding raw saw waveforms (not in the context of Hardcore though generally and certainly not as basslines in Hardcore) so there we are.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2012/10/06 :  01:24:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Don't take this the wrong way, but this is something you can only really know about if you try producing. I'm not aware of you ever producing, so I have no idea where you get these idea's from..

Lol. Have you not seen me post before in this section? I've been producing since 2002, i just don't share any of it publicly (i did do once when i first started) and am nowhere near as active now as i used to be.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/10/06 01:24:50
Archefluxx
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,112 posts
Posted - 2012/10/06 :  01:31:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Archefluxx's homepage
quote:
quote:

Lol. Have you not seen me post before in this section? I've been producing since 2002, i just don't share any of it publicly (i did do once when i first started) and am nowhere near as active now as i used to be.

I dont visit the forums nearly as often as I used to. Likewise my production has ground to a halt. Im not saying that you pile shit on a sample until it sounds good, but there's nothing wrong with experimenting with it and seeing what you get. Your view seems to be that you layer to make it louder, and if a samples not good, ignore it completely.

I'm curious to hear a production of yours. Peculiar that you keep them to yourself.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/06 :  07:04:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
what i meant was if the leads are layered with 6 layers and the bass with 6 then the track wont work if the keys only have 2 or 3 layers as the keys or pads or whatever wont sound as big so in my experience you would need to raise levels to get anywhere near the level as the layered sounds.

Shades
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,189 posts
Posted - 2012/10/06 :  10:30:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Shades's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Archefluxx:

that made me lol, surely you've seen some posts from hard2get in here, he's nearly always spot on

dont get the whole 'edit' thing mind

Archefluxx
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,112 posts
Posted - 2012/10/06 :  11:02:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Archefluxx's homepage
quote:
what i meant was if the leads are layered with 6 layers and the bass with 6 then the track wont work if the keys only have 2 or 3 layers as the keys or pads or whatever wont sound as big so in my experience you would need to raise levels to get anywhere near the level as the layered sounds.

That depends on how you've used each sound in the mixer. You can control the levels of the leads or basses in the mixer. By layering, it doesn't necessarily mean you're making a sound louder. Sometimes less is more, in fact.
Having one layer for a piano sound can be fine if you EQ, compress and limit it a little in the mixer.
It's trial and error, but the underlining rule is that layering doesnt automatically make it louder.

As a side note for the leads, assuming you're not using plug-ins, putting 6 layers into one channel won't make it as loud as putting 2 layers in each channel.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/06 :  11:53:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
But layering is used to make the track sound fatter and using stereo tools and eq can make it have more space but i honestly dont use plugins much just i use the gain on GEQ for added volume and i use filters but that is it

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/06 :  11:55:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
I did some research on layering and found what i need to know from there aswell as on here so i can do some more experimenting

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2012/10/06 :  13:17:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Shades:

dont get the whole 'edit' thing mind

Lol it's where i change my mind on what I've posted and can't be bothered to type it better.
quote:
I'm curious to hear a production of yours. Peculiar that you keep them to yourself.

I did once back in 2002. Had no interest after that. One of the main reasons no one hears anything is that i never finish anything to a point where I am satisfied with them hearing it. Other than that i would rather not people associate something i have done in the past, with something i will do in the future, because in a few years time i will have surpassed that level and I will just be cringing at the fact i shared what i did publicly. Even though i have been producing so long though, it has been so on and off in the last 5 years that it doesn't mean a great deal (which is why I've made it clear that what i said is my opinion, I don't consider myself qualified to comment beyond that), and i almost never produce Hardcore anyway.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/10/06 13:23:05

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.48 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page