Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Sample loop

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/02 :  19:33:37  Show profile Send a private message
Spent a few hours working on this just need to know if it sounds ok on the grounds of layering and depth etc.

http://soundcloud.com/electo_kinsey/test-lead/s-8aHuQ

Alert moderator
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/03 :  17:00:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage

someone must have an opinion
Here's the second loop.
http://soundcloud.com/electo_kinsey/loop-3/s-5aPmu

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Warnman
Advanced Member

Germany
2,677 posts
Warnman has attended 2 events
Posted - 2012/10/03 :  18:26:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Warnman's homepage
Nice melody, break and build-up! I can't say anything about layering and depth.

"Happy Hardcore: Love it... hate it... it's fun!" (Matt Stokes)

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2012/10/03 :  22:29:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
Pretty good man, I like it. Very catchy and fun. Needs more low end weight to fatten it up. Get something mono in there on a lower octaver.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2012/10/03 :  22:33:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
hehe that sounds great - it has breakbeat hardcore written all over it! is that the direction you're going to take it?

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/04 :  05:38:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Triquatra:
hehe that sounds great - it has breakbeat hardcore written all over it! is that the direction you're going to take it?

i dunno to be honest im open to ideas. i have all these ideas but sometimes it hard to get them out.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/04 :  05:57:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Audio Warfare:
Pretty good man, I like it. Very catchy and fun. Needs more low end weight to fatten it up. Get something mono in there on a lower octaver.

what mono as in not stereo or mono as in monologue

Shades
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,189 posts
Posted - 2012/10/04 :  06:26:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Shades's homepage
mono (not stereo) will give it presence & solidity, its wise to mono the lower frequencys.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/04 :  06:34:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Shades:
mono (not stereo) will give it presence & solidity, its wise to mono the lower frequencys.

how is this done? i use cubase and all tracks are stereo. can they be made mono.

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Posted - 2012/10/04 :  07:51:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
You don't need to do it in Cubase, just make sure that the layer you make is mono by not panning oscilators etc. If it's a sample/preset or something you could chuck the stereo tool on and hit mono though. In FL there is a nice little knob that does it on each mixer channel but not sure if Cubase has an equivalent (I've never seen one).

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/04 :  08:08:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
That sample does have a pad with c2 and c3 notes and a bass sound in c1 that has the top rolled off to 83Hz to make it deep and the bass with high pass at 61Hz
but it is just one note using the root keys. I used nexus for the sample.

If it is a good idea to mono the low freqs is it a better idea to stereo enhance the higher freqs too

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Posted - 2012/10/04 :  09:17:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
Yes I always keep my kick and bass mono as well as a prominent low layer of the lead. I (usually) have the high end of the lead stereo but I tend to create this within the synth, no reason you couldnt use a stereo enhancer You might find a sample out of nexus has a good amount of width already though, depends which sample you're using! Sometimes I'll add a higher layer to a bass sound and make that fairly stereo too depending on what I'm trying to go for.

Can I ask why you have high passed the bass (if Im reading that correctly)? That would take all the erm bass out of it.

It doesnt matter if you have pads on certain octaves, you can still fill the lead out in the same area. Obviously there are no hard and fast rules in making music but it seems to me you are going for a big powerful supersaw lead and this will need some layering to achieve that.

Just drop a suitable sound in on the octave below, turn it right down and bring the volume up till it sits correctly. After you have filled out the bottom end more you may find you need to high pass the lead to around 150-200hz if its eating up too much bass room. That may sound like youre just undoing what you have done but it will make a positive difference.

After youve done this you may find it lacks high end definition so just layer a sound an octave about again. My leads can be as little as 3 layers or as much as 10 or so!

Edited by - Audio Warfare on 2012/10/04 09:19:09
electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/04 :  09:44:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
I high pass the bass in a way that it has the opposite effect. I end up with a deep bass sound layer

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/04 :  09:47:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
I usechords for leads that are usually in the same area ie a3 - a4 and use a low layer and a high layer with volume down as opposed to volocity control

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Posted - 2012/10/04 :  10:11:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by electrogen:
I high pass the bass in a way that it has the opposite effect. I end up with a deep bass sound layer

Ah you mean low pass/high cut? A high pass/low cut would cut the bass away. Unless... What speakers are you using? You may be high passing and because they don't go down very low you don't hear that it's cutting out sub basses (that you will want). Due to the notch effect on EQ's it will likely boost a bit just above where you are cutting and this may give the impression that the bass has been boosted overall as this is where you speakers start picking it up better.

electrogen
Average Member

United Kingdom
206 posts
Posted - 2012/10/04 :  10:18:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit electrogen's homepage
I think thats what i do i cut everything except sub bass and use that as a layer. I use headphones

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.09 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page