Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

"Refreshing" low-bitrate audio files.

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,150 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/10/02 :  14:48:36  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Ok. Let me start with an background story first.
I've been making mixes now for over 9 years. Back then 192kb/s audio files where considered to be an 'OK' rate for audio files, but we all know that changed very quickly. Until last year I've basicly only saved my mixes into 192kb/s (it's free people, if you want high quality, go buy the real songs :P), but I've recently started to save my mixes in 320kb/s (aswell as storing a RAW/Lossless copy as a backup)...

Now to the problem I am having at the moment. I wish to try normalizing the volume of my older mixes, to make the overall loudness higher, compareable with my latest mixes. Since I'm not using a simple gain edit (I'm using multimax), the audio stream will be changed, so I will have to resave the files completely.

I've read that it's a very bad thing to transcode (convert a lossy format to another, or change bitrate up AND down) a lowbitrate, but how much is the loss? The mixes are recorded with mostly 192kb's to start with, and stored into 192kb :P.

Buttom line is: Do refreshing/normalizing overweight the loss that might appear?
and in what bitrate should i save it in? Store it at higher bitrate and hide the "original lower bitrate", or to store in 192kb, and loose some "added" audio from the refreshing process?

Or... yea, I could always redo the mixes completely (which I was thinking of doing with some of the mixes) :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Alert moderator

Edited by - Samination on 2012/10/02 14:54:10
Thumpa
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,600 posts
Thumpa is verified hardcore artist Thumpa has attended 81 events
Posted - 2012/10/02 :  18:49:47  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit Thumpa's homepage
You really need to get out more.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2012/10/02 :  18:59:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Given that the listener can just use their volume control and turn the mix up i think it's definitely not worth it, if there is already nothing wrong with the levels.
quote:
Until last year I've basicly only saved my mixes into 192kb/s (it's free people, if you want high quality, go buy the real songs :P)

If you're going to give the mix away you may as well give it away at 320. It makes literally no difference to you whatsoever. Not that there is much appreciable difference between the 2.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/10/02 19:01:03
wong
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,991 posts
Posted - 2012/10/02 :  19:19:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit wong's homepage
is there actually any noticable difference between 192 and 320 ? i have listened to both and can never really tell, just wondered if anyone else can?

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2012/10/02 :  19:28:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wong:
is there actually any noticable difference between 192 and 320 ? i have listened to both and can never really tell, just wondered if anyone else can?

In most cases i think there is very very little difference. I mean it's definitely there but the impact it has on listening enjoyment is very little. Certainly nothing to complain about. However that is assuming the encoding and source quality are good. Makes no difference what it is if either of those are shit.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2012/10/02 20:14:47
Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2012/10/02 :  19:43:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
I don't think 192 v 320 is too noticable at all

128 vs 192 I can really hear a difference, trashy higher frequencys and digital artifacts

these days I rip at 320kbps VBR - as it seems to be the best compromise between audio quality and filesize, but i'll quite happily take an mp3 at 192

silver
Admin

Japan
12,562 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2012/10/03 :  01:10:59  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
I would re/master it in something like t-rex just to try and increase the dynamics and overall volume.

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2012/10/03 :  02:42:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Thumpa:
You really need to get out more.

What a cruel joke to unleash that upon the rest of the world

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,150 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2012/10/03 :  03:27:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by silver:
I would re/master it in something like t-rex just to try and increase the dynamics and overall volume.

I have something called multimax, which I believe does the same, but I'm still pondering what bitrate to store the new file in.

Thumpa, don't you worry, we will see eachother (hopefully) at HU in november :P ... but that was still cruel :(

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.25 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page