Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

DVS versus CDJ's

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,996 posts
Posted - 2012/09/23 :  16:43:30  Show profile Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
Hey peeps. I am planning on updating my dj setup (2 technics 1200 mk2's, a Stanton dual CD Deck hooked up to a Vestax pmc O5 mixer)but am in a serious dilemma over whether it should be a DVS like Traktor or CDJ's (Maybe pioneer 800's or even 400's).I've noticed from my online searches that even people that have traktor or serato use cdjs as well (like Ravine, Rhytmics). one thing I have a slight concern about DVS's is how much it will affect track selection. I mean, Is it really necessary to have a gazillion tracks on your hard drive to choose from? I've kinda developed a method where the most used vinyls in my collection stay at the front. I mostly never play more than an hour at parties which really makes me wonder if such an upgrade is even worth it. Thoughts?

http://www.brightspeedrecordings.com/

Alert moderator
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2012/09/25 :  02:08:20  Show profile  Send a private message
Traktor comes with both vinyl & cd controls. I personally prefer the vinyl because 1) it's what I already own a lot of stuff on 2) it's a lot easier (for me anyway) to scratch on vinyl. it's really easy to switch between records and the dvs, just takes some getting used to.

personal preference as far as wether to use cdjs or tts. why would it affect your track selection? you can keep all your files where they are and make a virtual crate, puting all your favs/newer stuff in it

Alert moderator Go to top of page
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,996 posts
Posted - 2012/09/25 :  03:10:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Brian K:
... why would it affect your track selection? you can keep all your files where they are and make a virtual crate, puting all your favs/newer stuff in it

Thanx for replying. I've never used a DVS system before which is why I assume there must be a difference, one assumption being that what I find fun about mixing in the old style (...shifting through records, taking off the platter, beatmatching!!) might become not as fun. Again, I've never had the chance to try a system like this out which is why I most probably will make the decision based on information I find on-line. I am still uncertain, tbh. As for the virtual crate , do you find it "as good" , "better" or "worse" than a real life one? Did you find the switch to dvs an improvement?
Thanx again. :)

http://www.brightspeedrecordings.com/

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2012/09/25 :  03:21:00  Show profile  Send a private message
I still find myself taking the control record off the platter =P takes some getting used to for sure.

making virtual crates isn't nearly as fun as the real thing but you have a lot more access to different styles of music as you can pitch synch things (make it so the vocal doesn't sound chipmunky if you speed up/down a track more than what it should be). it's a lot easier to search for a track with just a click of a button than trying to dig through crates of records trying to figure out where you placed a tune. it is strange cueing up a record and looking at a laptop soundwave at the same time though.

you also have mixers now that you can just plug your laptop into it instead of running the laptop through a soundcard, then plugging that into the mixer.

I'm glad I bought it because most of the newer stuff I like I can't get a vinyl copy of and I hate the feel of cdjs, well not hate but I just feel uncomfortable using jog wheels.

It won't be quiet the same as what you're used to and it takes some adjusting to, but it's definetly worth it imo.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.98 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page