Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Kicks and Mixing Down

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
HappyCoder
Starting Member

United Kingdom
2 posts
Posted - 2012/02/18 :  12:26:46  Show profile Send a private message
Just looking for a bit of advice. I'm new to producing Happy Hardcore, but I have the track structure and elements all sorted my issue is the mixing down.

I've been a Dubstep producer for a number of years, and I'm unsure if some of the principles in Dubstep apply to Happy Hardcore when mixing down.

Kicks are usually low cut at about 60-90 to make room for the bass. But, with Happy Hardcore I believe the kick is one of the important elements of the track. What's the general convention for EQing kicks?

Also, do you layer a deep sine wave under the kick to give it more punch? Would bouncing the kick and a sub, then using transient designer on it give it more of a punch?

Any help would be appreciated.

Alert moderator
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2012/02/18 :  17:06:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
The latter technique i would suggest experimenting with. As for cutting off the low end; definately not something you would want to be doing upto anywhere near 90 hz. The kick in Hardcore is the element that has the most bass, followed by the bass, so essentially the same but the other way around.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Dain-Ja
Advanced Member

Canada
1,983 posts
Dain-Ja has attended 11 events
Posted - 2012/02/23 :  01:13:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dain-Ja's homepage
In kickdrum led hardcore, the kick and bass never play at the same time (one plays on the beat and the bass plays on the offbeat) so you don't have to worry about that. Shorten the bass notes a tiny bit or sidechain the bass if it's still giving you a rough time.

A good kick shouldn't need much EQing, especially not a high pass (unless you're cutting under 35Hz, then it's fine). Layering a tonal synth kick is unusual except in gabber.

The bass should be a tiny bit quieter than the kick if everything is compressed properly. If the kick isn't cutting through, you're generally better off working with the bass or boosting the midrange part of the kick (1-3kHz) to try to get it to shine.

Visit makemeRUSH.com for music from the ONLY North American hardcore label pressing vinyl!

FREE track every Monday: http://www.rushdeliveryrecords.com/?p=229

Alert moderator Go to top of page

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.62 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page