Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Starting to make my own sounds

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Waglas

Netherlands
47 posts
Posted - 2012/02/10 :  15:31:45  Show profile Send a private message
I always used sound presets for my tracks with effects and EQ added by myself. Now I want to make my own sounds with Zebra 2. Are there people who make there own sounds with Zebra 2 too?

Does anyone know where I can find basic information about for example how to make a organ like sound, a piano like sound, a string like sound etc. Just the first steps to make a sound with a synthesizer.

Thanks in advance.

Alert moderator
Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2012/02/10 :  16:15:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
I don't use Zebra 2 personally but the basics of sound design carry over to synths of a similar type. I believe Zebra 2 is mainly a subtractive synthesizer so get on Google and read up on the basics of that for starters. I believe it has other functions that make use of additive and possibly FM synthesis too but I don't actually own it so couldn't really comment much on that. Ignore those for now anyway until you have subtractive down Id say.

Learn about the different sound waves and how/why they differ from one and other. Learn how the different filter types effect the sound and how ADSR helps to shape it. They are the most important things you should look at first. Next I'd look at how detuning can effect sounds as this can expand the possibilities no end. After that you can look into setting various LFO's to control pitch/volume/filters etc.

Learning to create stereo width is a must as well. This is achieved by creating differences in timing and sound in the left and right channels but without changing the sound too dramatically.

These are the bits you'll need to look at first but you could literally write a book on these things alone so it's only really possible in a forum post to tell you what you should be looking at. Get on Google and get reading basically!! The instruction book should be a big help in understanding what things do too.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Audio Warfare on 2012/02/10 16:46:56
Waglas

Netherlands
47 posts
Posted - 2012/02/11 :  18:19:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Waglas's homepage
Thanks a lot for your advice. I figured I have to read a lot to understand the sound synthesis so I started with reading the manual and I will search for the information you suggested. I found that Zebra is a modular synthesizer, I'm not sure yet what that means but I will figure it out.

I already used a lot of the stuff you summed up but I've never studied waveforms. Do you, or someone else, know a website or something that explains about the sounds you can make with a specific waveform and how you can combine them?

Alert moderator Go to top of page

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.44 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page