Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Christmas is coming...

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
llamawrangler

United States
29 posts
Posted - 2011/12/10 :  18:17:36  Show profile Send a private message
...and I want to get myself some cheap gear so I can dj this year! Any good sets I could get for relatively cheap? ($400>) I don't want to invest an insane amount because I'm new to this whole thing, but any ideas regardless? They don't necessarily need to be the whole shebang either, I'm mainly just asking for good production things I could get for less than $400.

On a similiar note, how exactly do you start djing places? I read a few guides online, but I'd rather hear it directly from a person. I'm 16, but I would probably start when I'm 17 (so i have experience and have made a few tracks) DJing friends school parties isn't really an opinion (I refuse to dj katy perry or lady gaga), but I do know some 17+ clubs about a half hour away from where I live.

Alert moderator
Lorenzo.Tweakn
Advanced Member

United States
1,327 posts
Lorenzo.Tweakn has attended 2 events
Posted - 2011/12/10 :  18:31:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lorenzo.Tweakn's homepage
since you live in illinois; im assuming you're talking about the chicago clubs, they dont just book anyone. you have to be a "somebody" or have an inside connection. my suggestion to you is to find a local rave crew and just start attending the events often. become friends with the promoters, djs & regular ravers. then eventually start passing out demos of your mixes n try getting booked. it'll prolly be an opening set at the event. but hey. you all start somewhere.

my personal experience with the chicago scene was i was a producer for 3years(DJ for 4years) and this chicago promoter got in contact with me via facebook & liked my music so he decided to give me a residency with his crew without him hearing a full hour mix of mine. now this summer we're getting back into doing events and im playing a 2hour set. :)

Alert moderator Go to top of page
SpiritWolf
Average Member

United States
237 posts
Posted - 2011/12/10 :  18:45:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SpiritWolf's homepage
Well djing and producing are two very different things. If you want to make the tunes that djs play out, producing is for you. If you want to go in front of crowds and ply out tunes then djing is for you. Sure you can do both but on your budget you will have to decide on one or the other. Secondly, if you do choose to produce it will take time. Lots of time. I've been producing for about 3 years now and I still have a ton of things to learn, so don't expect to be automatically good odds are you will be bad (at first). On djing: If you go to a club and think you can spin hardcore, you're wrong. Most americans don't like hardcore (sad but true). You'll have to find a local organization that would be willing to book a hardcore dj. Even if you do get a booking, you will be playing very early in front of small crowds. And as you get better, you'll work your way up to being a headliner. Sorry to burst your bubble with this post but either choice will take many years of practice and time.

llamawrangler

United States
29 posts
Posted - 2011/12/10 :  19:37:28  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit llamawrangler's homepage
I realize djing and producing are two very different things, but I already have a lot of producing software (fl studio with a bunch of vsts), so I was wondering what would be necessary in addition to the software I currently have. (key word being necessary) If there isn't any I'm just going to get a computer or tablet for christmas (for reasons completely unrelated to music). The djing part was more hypothetical, which is why I said I wouldn't even attempt djing until a year from now.

Also, I'm not sure if I'll be doing hardcore yet, because I find myself a lot better at making dubstep and drumnbass tracks. (I just started though, so this probably will change). Dubstep is popular enough that if I got good at it it wouldnt be as hard as gabber or the like (although I still expect it to be extremely hard)

I also don't expect to be a headliner or something like that, because that would be silly. All genres have the artists start as a really little opening thing, and I don't really care about the money (I have other ways of getting moolah), I'm just doing it because I like the music.

@Lorenzo If you guys have any events in chicago, message me because I'd love to come, as long as they aren't 21+

SpiritWolf
Average Member

United States
237 posts
Posted - 2011/12/10 :  19:47:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit SpiritWolf's homepage
Ahh, ok. Well in that case you should be fine with producing, unless you want to pick up the vengeance essential clubsounds or some other sample pack that you want. And for dj gear just look at products that are in your price range research the hell out of them and decide what you want. All you need is a mixer and 2 cdj/turntables (whatever you prefer) to get you started. And www.djdeals.com is a great place to shop, haven't had a problem with them yet. No tax and free shipping in the US too! Hope that helps :)

Edited by - SpiritWolf on 2011/12/10 19:49:47
llamawrangler

United States
29 posts
Posted - 2011/12/10 :  20:58:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit llamawrangler's homepage
Thank you, I'll check out that website. Nice soundcloud by the way, your songs are pretty good. Do you make them on fl studio, ableton, logic, etc because most of the people I know in real life use ableton but on this website the majority seem to use fl studio. I decided today would be a good day to finally get around to experimenting with software because I'm grounded

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2011/12/11 :  02:48:55  Show profile  Send a private message
as far as starting to dj places...make a couple mixes and put them online and on cd. go to parties that have music similar to what you want to play and hand them out. get to know the people throwing the party and offer to help with the clean up/tear down of the rig(s).

you're not going to get much for $400 so I'd suggest looking at used gear if it's available. You're better off saving your money and purchasing a decent system imo. I spent $250 each on my first turntables and was lucky to get $200 for the pair when I sold them

It's an expensive hobby but it sure is fun =P

tonyg123

United Kingdom
133 posts
Posted - 2011/12/11 :  21:37:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tonyg123's homepage
I think u shoud go for the dj set up, u already have fruit loops so if u have decks(and production stuff later on) so you can progress in both equally, then if u getting gigs because of the tracks u made, ull still be able to dj well or if u start getting gigs u'l be able to play the tracks uve made aswell. I'm dont know much about the scene/where u live but Lorenzo.Tweakn gav good advice there!! what ever u do mate good luck, remember ur only 16 dude I was I started mixin and producing ate ur age

Lorenzo.Tweakn
Advanced Member

United States
1,327 posts
Lorenzo.Tweakn has attended 2 events
Posted - 2011/12/11 :  21:46:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lorenzo.Tweakn's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by llamawrangler:

@Lorenzo If you guys have any events in chicago, message me because I'd love to come, as long as they aren't 21+

im only 18. the events are usually all ages. the next event is in may called "flava burst 2". we'll be throwing parties all summer so be sure to check this forum when i post stuff. :D

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.23 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page