Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

PRODUCING IN HEADPHONES?

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
tonyg123

United Kingdom
133 posts
Posted - 2011/11/25 :  21:21:03  Show profile Send a private message
AS MY I STAY INA FLAT I CANT ASWAYS BLAST OUT THE NOISE, DO ANY OF U PRODUCE IN HEADPHONES?? I KNOW SPEAKERS ARE BETTER BUT COULD U MAKE A WHOLE TUNE IN HEADPHONES BANG ON THEN IT SOUND SHIT THROUGH THE HEADPHONES? WHATS EVERY1 VEIW?? CHEERS

Alert moderator
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2011/11/26 :  00:09:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
NuFoundation used to produce on earphones so it can definately be done yes.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2011/11/26 :  01:03:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by tonyg123:
AS MY I STAY INA FLAT I CANT ASWAYS BLAST OUT THE NOISE, DO ANY OF U PRODUCE IN HEADPHONES?? I KNOW SPEAKERS ARE BETTER BUT COULD U MAKE A WHOLE TUNE IN HEADPHONES BANG ON THEN IT SOUND SHIT THROUGH THE HEADPHONES? WHATS EVERY1 VEIW?? CHEERS

Maybe you could try not posting in all caps, as well? It's a little hard to read.

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

Karthy

United Kingdom
337 posts
Posted - 2011/11/26 :  02:53:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Karthy's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dys7:
quote:

Maybe you could try not posting in all caps, as well? It's a little hard to read.

Making sense would help too...

Archefluxx
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,112 posts
Archefluxx has attended 2 events
Posted - 2011/11/26 :  03:34:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Archefluxx's homepage
I used dreadful headphones when I produced Laddergoat.

It can be done, but you'll get better results ACROSS BOARD THE with monitor speakers.

tonyg123

United Kingdom
133 posts
Posted - 2011/11/26 :  18:47:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tonyg123's homepage
kool nu foundation was amazin, good to know. I will stop writing in caps and it made sense at the time, had quite a few drinks when I posted it. cheers for the replys guys

Future_Shock
Advanced Member

Australia
2,483 posts
Future_Shock has attended 5 events
Posted - 2011/11/27 :  03:19:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Future_Shock's homepage
Hardcore production is pretty abysmal in general compared to other genres. You can straight away tell what's been mastered by a professional (usually the compilations) and what's been mastered by the artist.

Headphones might get you by, but you'll progress slower and have less of an understanding of what you're hearing, hence your quality of production will not be consistent.

What i've found time and time again, is after i actually force people to buy monitors, within a couple of weeks their productions jumps up quite a few notches in terms of quality and continues to improve despite the fact for months they had plateau'd using headphones.

That's pretty much the long and short of it.

Shades
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,189 posts
Posted - 2011/11/27 :  10:11:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Shades's homepage
i agree with andy....

unless you get a good pair of headphones/earphones

i got some m-audio IE20XB's monitor earphones & gotta say they are awesome compared with my AKG headphones, but with monitors as well, i find myself referencing & comparing between all 3

tonyg123

United Kingdom
133 posts
Posted - 2011/11/27 :  12:35:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tonyg123's homepage
I have seinheiser hd25 mk2 so they are good, but fully appreicate and understand where ur coming fro andy rite now im just using my laptop so headphones are my only option, im in the process of buying a soundcard then desktop pc jus wondered as I planned to get them bt wasn't sure how much i'd actually benefit, thanks for the feedback guys appriciated

Future_Shock
Advanced Member

Australia
2,483 posts
Posted - 2011/11/27 :  22:25:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Future_Shock's homepage
quote:
I have seinheiser hd25 mk2 so they are good, but fully appreicate and understand where ur coming fro andy rite now im just using my laptop so headphones are my only option, im in the process of buying a soundcard then desktop pc jus wondered as I planned to get them bt wasn't sure how much i'd actually benefit, thanks for the feedback guys appriciated

HD 25s are djing headphones not production headphones. Huge difference.

If you want to use headphones you'll need monitor headphones lol. But you still won't get very good results because you're using an on board sound card - which are terrible.I mean just ****ing terrible.

In terms of benefit, monitor speakers outweigh headphones on any day. No contest.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2011/11/27 :  22:50:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Just to clarify, NuFoundation was using poor quality earphones with an onboard sound card for many of his tunes. It's only in recent years that he upgraded. But Taking My Time etc were all done on the setup described. He's the only person i know of to do that and get good results.
It's safe to say that a good setup is only really useful if you know what you are listening for, apart from sounding better.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2011/11/27 22:53:48
Future_Shock
Advanced Member

Australia
2,483 posts
Posted - 2011/11/28 :  02:40:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Future_Shock's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
Just to clarify, NuFoundation was using poor quality earphones with an onboard sound card for many of his tunes. It's only in recent years that he upgraded. But Taking My Time etc were all done on the setup described. He's the only person i know of to do that and get good results.
It's safe to say that a good setup is only really useful if you know what you are listening for, apart from sounding better.

No, that's what a better set up does. It HELPS you hear the mistakes.

S3RL used headphones for a long time too. It's no impossible I'm just saying its much MUCH easier and better for you in the long run to use gear that was designed to help you with this task.

Like I explained before, I know many producers who were using headphones and when they got monitors their quality of production greatly improved. Because it helps to hear the mistakes.

deathproof627

United States
122 posts
Posted - 2011/11/28 :  02:56:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit deathproof627's homepage
heres a link to a pretty thorough review of the German Maestro GMP 8.35 D Monitor headset that seems like a really good headset for $250.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed

tonyg123

United Kingdom
133 posts
Posted - 2011/11/29 :  18:08:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tonyg123's homepage
I'm not lookin to buy production headphones was jus stating what I had, I'm just new to production n wondered what peoples veiws were on it. Though I intend to buy monitors If im producing at 3am etc I wuldn't be able to use them cheers for the replys guys really usefull info

Ken Masters
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,447 posts
Posted - 2011/12/12 :  15:21:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ken Masters's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Andy_Influx:
quote:

HD 25s are djing headphones not production headphones. Huge difference.

If you want to use headphones you'll need monitor headphones lol.

HD 25's are monitor headphones. They give you nothing but the raw sound of what your playing although I do agree that it's better for longer periods of production to stick with monitors instead.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.73 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page