Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Random idea to stop piracy.

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2011/11/17 :  06:14:57  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage
A couple nights ago, I had an idea about how to show full versions of a song on sites like YouTube without fear of someone simply ripping the song instead of buying it.
My idea is this:
Using a sound program, you gradually speed up and slow down certain parts, making the track sound minimally different but near impossible to mix.
I tested this using Milo - Fake Mars, a free song meant for open distribution.
http://www.mediafire.com/?d02gwyih051t0ec
Try mixing something into the song. It's almost impossible, unless you're a master beatmatcher or you simply just cut in at the drop. (Which if someone is going to rip a preview, they could do anyways).

Anyways, just a silly idea I thought I'd share. Let me know what you think!

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

Alert moderator
Future_Shock
Advanced Member

Australia
2,483 posts
Future_Shock has attended 5 events
Posted - 2011/11/17 :  06:57:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Future_Shock's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dys7:
A couple nights ago, I had an idea about how to show full versions of a song on sites like YouTube without fear of someone simply ripping the song instead of buying it.
My idea is this:
Using a sound program, you gradually speed up and slow down certain parts, making the track sound minimally different but near impossible to mix.
Try mixing something into the song. It's almost impossible, unless you're a master beatmatcher or you simply just cut in at the drop. (Which if someone is going to rip a preview, they could do anyways).

That doesn't really solve anything as tracks that get shared arent often rips from other websites (like youtube).

Often what happens, is someone purchases said tracks and that purchased track goes up for download... or tracks get leaked through people who have official copies of the tracks.

Any track ive ever had signed (30+) there have only ever been about 2 minutes of the track on youtube and soundcloud and the like.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Future_Shock on 2011/11/17 06:58:16
Karthy

United Kingdom
337 posts
Posted - 2011/11/17 :  13:00:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Karthy's homepage
Also, it's not usually DJ's that pirate, they're the forefront of the scene, they're not going to pirate, and if they do... they don't really deserve to be a DJ.

Honestly, I don't think piracy will ever be completely stopped, and whatever solution is introduced will always have it's flaws, but I'm liking the whole individual song ID that's been talked about for ages now (where each track is assigned to a computer and what not and can't be played on any other computer) and while there's space for expansion on it, it's a solid base for a solution, just need to get around the whole 16 computers / mp3 players / cd players per person thing. ;P

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2011/11/17 :  15:23:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
If there is one thing to learn from all this piracy it's that you will never ever stop piracy. Even attempting to is a very rapidly losing battle. And this is not the negative thing that oldskool bussinessmen think it is, it just means things have to change. Luna C has gone into detail regarding this and he is right. By people wasting all their energy on fighting something they are missing out on real opportunities.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2011/11/17 15:25:32
Wilky
Banned

United Kingdom
6,198 posts
Posted - 2011/11/17 :  16:24:54  Show profile  Visit Wilky's homepage
pirating tunes is the future my firend

http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/wilky

This post was made by Spunk Licker
who is currently on your ignore list .
Display this post.

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,150 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2011/11/17 :  17:19:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
there's alot of bedroom dj's that use CD rips when mixing, and they probably have no problem mixing unmixable tracks as they dont beatmatch :P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2011/11/17 :  17:21:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:
there's alot of bedroom dj's that use CD rips when mixing, and they probably have no problem mixing unmixable tracks as they dont beatmatch :P

Then they are doing a bad job of mixing.

Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2011/11/17 :  23:57:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Samination:

I'll admit, I used to do that. (With CD's I bought, however)
Then I realized how much of a tool I sounded and learned to actually mix.

Anyways, like I said, random idea, but you have to agree it wouldnt work for YouTube rips? Beyond that, yeah, you could just get the real version. :P

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2011/11/18 :  18:09:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
Yeah, piracy is bad, eventhough it appeared BEFORE internet shopping. However, for many people its still the only way to get music, especially if they aren't adults.

quote:
Originally posted by Dys7:
My idea is this:

Theyre likely to rip it off even if its completely screwed up and in low quality. Everyday people arent as picky as we are

quote:
Originally posted by Wilky:
pirating tunes is the future my firend

Present lol. Online shopping is being promoted fair enough.

Edited by - cruelcore1 on 2011/11/18 18:10:05
NekoShuffle
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
1,480 posts
NekoShuffle has attended 17 events
Posted - 2011/11/23 :  10:51:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit NekoShuffle's homepage
Really I think good music pays for itself, but you can't force people to buy your music so if it's gonna be shared around then what can you do? Run around reporting links playing cat and mouse with the uploaders? You might as well embrace it and see what kind of feedback it's getting from people. I want my music to reach everyone, not just those who can afford it who have a way of making purchases online. In the future I'd be inclined to say, if you can afford it; buy it. If not and you download illegally then at least leave some feedback, comments etc. and give me something just as valuable that costs nothing: your opinion.

Edited by - NekoShuffle on 2011/11/23 10:55:38
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,150 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2011/11/23 :  11:17:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by NekoShuffle:
Really I think good music pays for itself, but you can't force people to buy your music so if it's gonna be shared around then what can you do? Run around reporting links playing cat and mouse with the uploaders? You might as well embrace it and see what kind of feedback it's getting from people. I want my music to reach everyone, not just those who can afford it who have a way of making purchases online. In the future I'd be inclined to say, if you can afford it; buy it. If not and you download illegally then at least leave some feedback, comments etc. and give me something just as valuable that costs nothing: your opinion.

That worked well back in early years of 2000, but now everyone jsut does it to get a large collection.

Download works great as promotion, but it fails if the users dont start buying, but then it also requires label owners to do more to get their music out. More represses, more cd releases and DIGITAL releases. Those who download usually don't want a physical version of the tracks.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Edited by - Samination on 2011/11/23 11:18:40
cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2011/11/23 :  17:50:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage
I really dislike when Youtube people state how they hate the fact that music is for money. Some of them despise it, yet they still listen to it, loving it. That hypocrisy makes me annoyed as hell.

Example (see lawlestest comment): http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=7s1J5HYAgY8

I agree with NekoShuffle, but on a bit lower level. Downloading illegally is bad, and eventhough some people have no choice, it's nothing to be proud about. And if u download illegally then they should at least show some other sorts of respect to the artist, for example by NOT despising them or talking against them. But if they want to despise them then there's a plenty of free music out there, especially in Hardcore, and artists who produce for free. They should avoid listening to music then need to pay for. Better that than being a hypocrite like some people who wrote in my comments list.

Edited by - cruelcore1 on 2011/11/23 17:50:57

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.53 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page