Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Mixing hardcore & production? Need advice

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Re-Lation
Starting Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
4 posts
Posted - 2011/11/06 :  13:03:59  Show profile Send a private message
Hello there,
I would like you to give me advice. I am concidering strongly to start mixing music. I'll buy midi controller and will mix in deckadance. I am stretched between mixing trance & hardcore genres. So I wanted to ask you which of these asks for more patience and learning? Personally I would choose hardcore (uk hardcore, hh, etc.), but I do not know what are your experences. I look at this as in trance longer and slower tracks, hence less of them in mix. And in eg. happy hardcore, faster, shorter and more of them in mix. But how hard is to crossfade them? Is there any online tutorial or book, material for mixing hardcore? And other thing regarding production is where do hardcore producers mostly produce music? Is it FL studio or? And is there any tutorial on this segment too?

Hope someone can help me and advise me.
Thanks mates,
kind regards,
Andrija.

Alert moderator
Waglas

Netherlands
47 posts
Posted - 2011/11/06 :  14:13:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Waglas's homepage
I think it's hard to say which style is more difficult to mix, you can make it as difficult as you like. But why choose in advance? Try to mix both styles and then decide what fits you more.

I think it doesn't matter which DAW you use to produce hardcore. It's a matter of taste, you have to see which one works the best for you.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Re-Lation
Starting Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
4 posts
Posted - 2011/11/06 :  15:05:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Re-Lation's homepage
I agree with you Waglas. But what is most used and user-friendly DAW? It doesn't mean that I will use it. What do majority use?

Waglas

Netherlands
47 posts
Posted - 2011/11/06 :  15:17:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Waglas's homepage
Most used DAWs are Cubase and Fruity Loops. Also Ableton, Logic and Reason are oftenly used.

I can't answer what is the most user friendly, it depends on what you want to do with it. If your a beginner I would say FL is the most user friendly.

Re-Lation
Starting Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
4 posts
Posted - 2011/11/06 :  16:17:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Re-Lation's homepage
Thanks mate :D
Do you or anybody know where I can find some good material about this stuff? Mixing and/or producing? YouTube, tutorials, web sites... Something until I enter some courses for mixing and producing. Something for intro :)

Waglas

Netherlands
47 posts
Posted - 2011/11/06 :  18:25:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Waglas's homepage
For the mixing, I would sugest to just play around and listen to other mixes. Try to know all the functions of your midi controller.

For the DAW just search on youtube, I don't know specific video's about how to start but there are plenty of them.

I would recommend the book The art of mixing by David Gibson. It's about sound engineering in general. It explains a lot of aspects about puting a song together.

Good luck!

Re-Lation
Starting Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
4 posts
Posted - 2011/11/07 :  17:51:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Re-Lation's homepage
Thaks Waglas. Valuable info :D

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2011/11/07 :  18:23:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
Fruityloops is generally considered the most user-friendly. I suggest looking into that one.

My SOUNDCLOUD

v-act

Sweden
412 posts
Posted - 2011/11/07 :  18:30:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit v-act's homepage
There is a guy called KevWillow on YouTube, and he has a great tutorial about producing Hardcore.

Dys7
Advanced Member

United States
1,231 posts
Posted - 2011/11/12 :  23:29:43  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dys7's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by v-act:
There is a guy called KevWillow on YouTube, and he has a great tutorial about producing Hardcore.

Beat me to it, I'd have to agree that Kev Willow has an amazing database on how to produce songs with FL. Believe it or not, FL also comes with its own manual that actually is quite helpful.
From what I know, most Hardcore producers use Cubase.
A few high-level producers I know,
*S3rl uses Logic + Reason
*Darwin uses Logic
*Fracus uses Cubase

But I'm going to have to agree and say there isn't a set software that's easiest or best. You just have to take a look at all of them and decide what's best.
FL is probably the fastest to grasp, while Ableton and Cubase can take hours to even get basics.

As for mixing style, I only really have experience in Hardcore. I've been working with it for about a year, and after a while you'll find patterns that make it much easier - but it doesn't make it any less fun to think of creative ways ;)

---
The Spirit at the Edge of Infinity
Check out my cheesy fiddlings here:
http://soundcloud.com/dys7dj/

Karthy

United Kingdom
337 posts
Posted - 2011/11/13 :  02:48:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Karthy's homepage
Hey, first off on the mixing side of things I can't answer your question too well as firstly I only mix hardcore, and second I rarely mix and I'm not particularly good at it. But my opinion is Trance has more opportunity to be different in your mix, Hardcore leaves very little room for originality if you ask me and I'd say Hardcore is easier personally, but that's probably just because I've mixed it before... ;)

As for the producing part, Kevwillow has great tutorials... that's where I started, basically learnt how to do everything in his videos then moved on to talking to other producers, he doesn't really show you how to be professional in your productions though, he just tells you the basics, which is something I didn't really like. Warbeats also have some great tutorials on Fruityloops in general, they don't have any on Hardcore specifically but I learnt a great deal from there. Also, if you have any questions drop me a PM or something, I'm hardly the most professional of producers but I'll be more than happy to tell you what I do know, and it saves paying a well known producer over 50 :P

Good luck :)

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.98 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page