Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

Author Thread  
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,997 posts
Posted - 2011/05/29 :  18:25:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage  Reply with quote
quote:
Originally posted by cruelcore1:
Songs in professional studios, as I read somewhere, Before mastering are rendered as 24-bit WAV files with 96000 Hz sample rate. It's extreme quality, but u need a great soundcard to play that.

Like you said "...Before mastering" because then it will get dithered down to 16 bits 44.1 if it's for CD so then the sound card won't matter at all. Going back to explanation it greatly has to do with the session's sample rate, as No Left Turn said, AND the bit depth. Understanding what dithering and truncation are is also key in understanding this whole explanation. To illustrate and since some terms also apply to digital images I suggest taking a look at the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither

To summarize "Truncation is the removal of lower value bits through the reduction of the word length (bit rate)". Or as the article puts it it means to "...simply discard the excess bits"
To use the pictures in the article as an example, If you constantly truncate an audio file without dithering you will get a result similar to the figure 1 and figure 2 of the cat images in which figure 1 would be the original highest bit depth available and figure 2 a truncated version of the original. For audio this would mean that if you work at higher bit rates, more of the subtleties of the audio will make it through when it finally gets dithered at the mastering stage.

http://www.brightspeedrecordings.com/

Alert moderator Go to top of page
cruelcore1
Advanced Member

Croatia (Hrvatska)
1,485 posts
Posted - 2011/05/31 :  23:08:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit cruelcore1's homepage  Reply with quote
OK, I've just had trouble with an 8bit sound and figured out sample rate before and after mastering really makes difference. it's for certain - very high like 96k before M and 44.1k or 48k M-ed.

Alert moderator Go to top of page

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.58 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page