Lost password
 Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Getting a new computer!

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2011/05/02 :  05:37:22  Show profile Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
I've been saving for awhile and might be able to get a new computer pretty soon. And I've been told the cheapest way to do it is to build if from scratch. I've never built a computer before so I have a few questions:

Since this is going to be a production computer, I know a I need a good processor and a large hard drive, but what else do I need?

What are the components of a computer that I need to have in order for it to function?
I know I need a motherboard, processor, hard drive, graphics card, sound card, cooling system(?) and a body. Is there anything I'm missing?

Alert moderator
ozmium
Advanced Member

United States
521 posts
ozmium has attended 1 event
Posted - 2011/05/02 :  12:47:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ozmium's homepage
I make songs of of a laptop and i dont seem to have any problems, besides the soundcard.
in the other room, my brother in law is always shoving his 2000 dollar computer in my face. xD

http://soundcloud.com/ozmium

Co Owner of Hardcore energy.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HardcoreEnergyPromo

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hardcore-Energy

Alert moderator Go to top of page
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,997 posts
Posted - 2011/05/02 :  17:15:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
RAM memory and a second hard drive perhaps so as to keep programs separate from project files.

http://www.brightspeedrecordings.com/

whispering

Finland
8,453 posts
whispering has donated money to the site
Posted - 2011/05/02 :  17:36:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
All starts with a motherboard, there you usually attach processor, memory, graphics card and HDD's. All that is then crammed into a case that needs a power supply.

Motherboard: These days it usually comes with at least an integrated sound card and ethernet card. Some people that do music use a separate sound card as the integrated ones are pretty basic.

Processor. Many buy quad core and whatnot processors only to use them with programs that only support a single core. So check what the heaviest program you use does support. With win XP, dual core is enough. As the operating system cant even use 2 cores properly.

Harddrive, where you store stuff. 2 things to consider space and speed. Speed pretty much only matters on the drive you have programs. SSD's are fast but expensive, you might buy one for C drive and a regular HDD for all the other stuff.

Memory, cheap these days. Dont know how much programs need these days, but if you use XP, it only supports 3,2GB.

Graphics card, only matters on games and 3D software. Basic cards, even integrated ones, work well on pretty much everything else.

Case and power. Often come bundled with the needed fans in it. Id pay close attention to noise. Silent cases usually dont even cost anymore then regular ones. I've been considering on buying a fractal design case myself.

ChiefRocka

United States
297 posts
Posted - 2011/05/02 :  17:48:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ChiefRocka's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by H3RO:
I've been saving for awhile and might be able to get a new computer pretty soon. And I've been told the cheapest way to do it is to build if from scratch. I've never built a computer before so I have a few questions:

Since this is going to be a production computer, I know a I need a good processor and a large hard drive, but what else do I need?

What are the components of a computer that I need to have in order for it to function?
I know I need a motherboard, processor, hard drive, graphics card, sound card, cooling system(?) and a body. Is there anything I'm missing?

I should note that I don't know your exact needs, so I'm only giving recommendations for brands and such. If can reply being more specific, I can help more.

* A case to house the components in. You'll want a well-ventilated one that's properly constructed.

* A processor. I would recommend four cores or higher. I strongly recommend buying an AMD one instead of Intel; you get much, much bang for the buck. Compare the price of their highest-end six-core with Intel's lowest-end six-core. It's not like AMD is skimping on quality either; Intel knows they can charge a lot more, so they do. AMD also makes much more use of their sockets than Intel does. Every generation the latter comes out with several new socket designs, making upgrading more expensive. AMD either sticks with their current socket or upgrades it slightly (e.g. AM3 to AM3+, which will happen soon. I should note that backwards compatibility for AM3+ isn't confirmed yet).

* Memory. I would recommend 4GB or more (4GB or less if you're using Windows XP). DDR3 has gotten cheap enough that buying DDR2 won't make much of a difference really (unless you're REALLY tight on money).

* A motherboard (or mainboard). Make sure it has the socket that the CPU requires, and that its form factor will work with your case. Make sure it's compatible with the memory as well (e.g. DDR3 1333).

* A power supply. I'll keep it simple and say that it will need to be able to deliver the wattage required by the sum of your internal components, and not to buy a cheap one. Seriously, buying an el cheapo power supply is just asking for a horror story. Get a trusted brand and model.

* A hard drive. 7200RPM and 10k RPM drives are fine. SSD drives are WAY too expensive right now. Personally I recommend Western Digital. Seagate used to be the best, but... well... WD has had the throne for the past few years and continues to have it. Having two hard drives - one for project-related stuff and the other for everything else - is also a recommendation.

* A graphics card. Even if you're only producing, having a dedicated graphics card takes the graphics load off of the processor, leaving more cycles for proper audio work. If you play a lot of games, well, it speaks for itself.

* A cooling system. Water cooling? Liquid nitrogen cooling? Seriously, just go with some good heatsinks and fans. It's best to try to keep your equipment under 50C, which is what they can accomplish. However, it does mean buying a different CPU fan; stock fans are a joke, in regards to both AMD and Intel.

* A sound card. For aspiring people like you, M-Audio has some good cards, such as the Audiophile 2496 and Delta 1010LT.

* Studio monitors. Even if you have a great sound card, if your speakers are crappy, it won't be doing much good. I have recommendations, but they're very expensive. :(

* Same goes for headphones. I recommend Audio-Technica. Lots of bang for the buck, and the quality is great.

* While optional (for now anyway), a mixer is a nice piece of equipment to have. In the past I would have recommended Mackie, but not anymore as their quality has gone down plus lots of corner cutting in regards to features.

* A MIDI controller. Even if you can't play the piano, it's a good idea to start learning how anyway. Personally I have an M-Audio Axiom 61. I also have another piano (an actual digital piano, not a controller) that has MIDI i/o as well. I use them both.

* You need an operating system. Windows XP is alright, but I recommend Windows 7 64-bit. Make sure to buy an OEM copy instead of a retail one.

* There are a lot of DAWs to pick from; it comes down to what suits you best. Sonar, Cubase, Reason, Ableton, Studio One, REAPER, FL Studio, etc.

* You also need instruments. There are lots of free ones, and there are lots of paid ones. Personally I recommend anything from Native Instruments and Camel Audio (both cost money and won't work with Reason, I should add).

Edited by - ChiefRocka on 2011/05/02 17:55:25
Hirschi
Average Member

Germany
244 posts
Posted - 2011/05/02 :  19:30:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hirschi's homepage
If you have never built a computer yourself, I would not recommend doing it, because if you doing it wrong, that could destroy the components. And when we are talking about a proper PC, not an Apple, then the chance is good to buy stuff that is not compatible with each other.
So, the reason why it's cheaper to build it yourself is
a) you can exactly buy the stuff you need and
b) you safe the money for letting it built for you.
But that means you have to know what you need and are able to put everything together.

My advice would be to go on a website like Dell that allows you to configure your maschine to a certain extend. Than they will build it for you and you got the guarantee that it will work. This will save you a lot of time and trouble.

Greetz
Hirschi

H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2011/05/03 :  00:18:09  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
Thanks for all the replies guys!

I don't know how to do quotes so I'll just do this old school. Lol.

ChiefRocka: I have an external sound card, MIDI controller (I do play piano lol), studio monitors, etc. I'm just looking to upgrade my computer. Right now I'm using a Dell XPS m1210 laptop that's almost 6 or 7 years old. Basically, I want the best computer for music production, being that my laptop will be used for everything else, for around $1,500. I've been on newegg.com and noticed that I can get some pretty beefy stuff for pretty cheap. So I guess my question would be, what would be reccommended, as far as brands, models, and what are all the components that I need to build a functioning computer? I'd like to keep it as close to 1500 as possible but I do have a little wiggle room budget wise.

DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,997 posts
Posted - 2011/05/04 :  04:13:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
I support the idea of choosing the components yourself but Hirschi's right about letting a pro in the matter put it together for you. It might be an extra cost but that way you'll be sure you walk out with a working machine and perhaps even a warranty.

H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2011/05/04 :  05:09:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
Do you knowbof any places online where I could do that? Just tell them what I want in it and let them build it?

whispering

Finland
8,453 posts
whispering has donated money to the site
Posted - 2011/05/04 :  05:53:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit whispering's homepage
quote:
Do you knowbof any places online where I could do that? Just tell them what I want in it and let them build it?

Most computer stores in Finland at least, if the store sells computer parts they also sell the assembly service. The store i use charges like 25e for assembly and testing.

Edited by - whispering on 2011/05/04 05:55:19
latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2011/05/04 :  06:07:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
dell is a good site to have your computer built for you. feedback from many ppl say that the dell desktop is still pretty good quality, preferably the xps edition.

btw, techbargain.com has a lot of discounts on dell, some 20 to 25% off your whole total before taxes and shipping on some models. you can customize those models as well. here's the link to those coupons

http://www.techbargains.com/dellcoupons.cfm

as far as stores themselves, I know that Microcenter builds it for you, and I do believe CompUSA does as well. Not sure about Fry's Electronics

Edited by - latininxtc on 2011/05/04 06:15:44
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,997 posts
Posted - 2011/05/04 :  18:12:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by whispering:
quote:

Most computer stores in Finland at least, if the store sells computer parts they also sell the assembly service. The store i use charges like 25e for assembly and testing.

I'm in South America which means it's easier to have it done locally than online so I wouldn't know. What Whispering is saying applies here in Colombia as well.

H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2011/05/05 :  00:10:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
What about something like this: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/studio-xps-9100/pd?oc=bsxp903&model_id=studio-xps-9100 with the 6-core processor? Also, is the 64-bit version worth the extra money?

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2011/05/05 :  00:30:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
What about something like this: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/studio-xps-9100/pd?oc=bsxp903&model_id=studio-xps-9100 with the 6-core processor? Also, is the 64-bit version worth the extra money?

that was the 1 i was considering getting, i think lol. it automatically comes in 64bit. i think all new computers come in 64 bit automatically.

H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2011/05/05 :  00:42:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
Lol sweet. I can get it with an i7 2.8 GHz processor, and 12g of ram, and 3TB worth of hard drive space for like $1500. Is that a decent deal?

acidfluxxbass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
5,000 posts
Posted - 2011/05/05 :  01:51:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit acidfluxxbass's homepage
quote:
Lol sweet. I can get it with an i7 2.8 GHz processor, and 12g of ram, and 3TB worth of hard drive space for like $1500. Is that a decent deal?

12GB of RAM, i didnt think the sciences of technology had advanced that far!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/archefluxxuk

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.3 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page