Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Starting a song

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
ChiefRocka

United States
297 posts
Posted - 2011/04/08 :  23:12:44  Show profile Send a private message
How do you usually go about it? I just want some opinions.

Alert moderator
H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2011/04/09 :  00:16:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
I get an idea for a melody. Then once that's on paper (metaphorically speaking) I do any tweaking or changes to it. Then I start building my lead with layers and such. Then I work out a bassline that fits the melody and has a natural, musical flow to it. Then I pick and choose my kicks, claps, snares, etc. and start building the basic structure. Then I work out the breakdown and any other riffs or breaks the track might need. Once I have everything in place I go through and add any sound effects (sub booms, bangs, sweeps, etc.). Then, I go through and automate everything (filters and such). Then the last thing is the mixdown; and that usually takes the longest. Everyone's different, but that's my process.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,997 posts
Posted - 2011/04/09 :  04:33:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
I usually start out with some kind of riff. Be it piano or supersaw/stab. I turn on the metronome in cubase and improvise something til I'm pleased. usually it's 8 or 16 bars. I make a small arrangement consisting of the basic precussion and bass and then I fiddle with variations/mutes of this mini arrangement. once that's down I drag everything a few bars forward on the sequencer and start dragging and arranging an intro. That's the start.

nice topic btw. :)

http://www.brightspeedrecordings.com/

frozt

United States
372 posts
frozt has attended 1 event
Posted - 2011/04/09 :  21:23:55  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit frozt's homepage
I usually start with an intro and work my way through. Either that or I find a chorus or hook I really like, start that then go to the intro and go through.

scottyd2k9
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
749 posts
Posted - 2011/04/10 :  02:14:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit scottyd2k9's homepage
i cant produce lol but i have made some nice riffs / melodies !

What i usually do is start of with the bass or bassline an work on a melody around that or sometimes i make a melody then add the bassline to go with it..

Lorenzo.Tweakn
Advanced Member

United States
1,327 posts
Lorenzo.Tweakn has attended 2 events
Posted - 2011/04/10 :  02:23:30  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lorenzo.Tweakn's homepage
i mostly figure out whats gunna be my bassline than write a riff based off it.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2011/04/18 :  13:45:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
I usually always start with the melody. I will work on the breakdown (all the main lead riffs), and then i will build the rest of the song around that. So i will get say 8 bars of melody going, work out what i want the lead riff to be, then build the song up to that so that the riff and melody has some sort of context by the time i'm finished. Most of the time anyway. It depends what the main feature of the song is, if i want the song to be mostly about something else, like the rhythm or something like that then again i will start with that and build around it.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2011/04/18 13:47:53
DeAngelo990
Starting Member

United States
12 posts
Posted - 2011/05/10 :  23:03:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DeAngelo990's homepage
I myself work on the baseline first and tweak it out until I get a nice feel to it that isn't too hard or too soft lol. then comes my melody. I tweak that out and listen to it a few times to see if it's annoying or not after that I make a nice pattern with some hi hats and change the volume and cut the length so it sounds pretty neat. I don't add much sweeps or filters til the end. I stop for awhile then come back in a bit to work in the beat to see if it still sounds good and see what comes to mind that I can add:)

Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2011/05/10 :  23:08:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
Melody first and the rest works itself out afterwards. I usually have a style in mind or an idea of what I want the track to be like but rarely will the end product be what I wanted at the start.

Skyhunter
Starting Member

United States
8 posts
Posted - 2011/05/10 :  23:16:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Skyhunter's homepage
Go to the piano. Play some melodic death metal. Remember any good progressions or melodies.

Go to computer. Write melodies out. Struggle. Get inspired. Finish.

:D

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.38 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page