Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

A good hearing ear

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
ChiefRocka

United States
297 posts
Posted - 2011/04/06 :  01:47:49  Show profile Send a private message
Lately my dad has been having me do digital recordings and masterings of stuff for other people, and every time they go gushing about how clean and awesome it sounds, and how I'm "talented". I seriously doubt this. I'm pretty sure it's the fact that the setups were already good, and the equipment did most of heavy lifting, not my ears. I mean, aside from the fact that I don't have any viable credentials, I don't have that much experience.

What do you think? Can people get keen ears naturally (and put it to use provided they read the hardware's/software's manual), or does it take dedicated practice? Or both? I mean, every time I've felt like I had barely done anything.

Alert moderator
8D
Advanced Member

Canada
820 posts
Posted - 2011/04/06 :  02:07:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 8D's homepage
i did some kinda "musical hearing evaluation" on the net somewhere that is supposed to score you on how musically inclined you are

It could be rubbish, but I think some people have a better ear than others. some people have better eyesight and scene of smell than others, why not hearing

Alert moderator Go to top of page
atomsk
Advanced Member

United States
1,660 posts
Posted - 2011/04/06 :  02:33:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit atomsk's homepage
Not sure what you are really asking..

But I'll answer on what I did understand.

I myself, can't produce a song worth crap, can't make a score or a proper beat. But yet if you give me an unmasterd song, I can mix it and make it sound like god. I can set up audio gear better than most anyone I have met, from PA systems, to car audio, to home systems. But I still cant make a song at all.

But the thing I'm trying to say, even tho you didnt make the song, you still make it sound like a beast. Most bands and musicians cant even EQ a bass cabinet, or set up a PA without getting feedback or getting overpowered by the drums.

TL;dr: I think people can be born with "Keen ears", but it does take practice.

DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,997 posts
Posted - 2011/04/06 :  04:26:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
I say both.

check this site out...

http://www.perfectpitch.com/

http://www.brightspeedrecordings.com/

H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2011/04/07 :  06:08:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
I think it's plausible that you could have been born with a good ear. Some people are born with natural rhythm, singing voices, etc. There are other factors you have to take into consideration. One of the biggest things would be how good the other person's (the people you do audio-whatever for) ear is. If there ear is bad to begin with, a small improvement done by you could be a massive difference to them. The ear does take time to train though. There's a difference between getting something to sound good and how and why it sounds good and how you can make it better.

For example: I've been playing drums for almost 7 years now. When I first started, I had the natural ability to keep a solid beat going while staying in near perfect time. Now, after 7 years of practice and self study, I'm pretty much a human metronome. Of course, I'm not perfect and will falter on occasion but for the most part I'm solid. The same thing applies to your ears. You can get a good sound now. And with more training, you'll start to not like what you've done in the past because your ear is trained that much more and you know a little bit more than what you did when you originally mixed or whatever. So to answer your question, both.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.02 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page