Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Song length question..

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
atomsk
Advanced Member

United States
1,660 posts
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  01:47:32  Show profile Send a private message
How long would you say is to long for a song?
I know its a short question but I need to know..

Alert moderator
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,998 posts
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  02:03:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
I wouldn't say there's an actual rule but I remember when there was the 3rd IDR remix compo one of the rules was to keep the remix under 5:30 which to me was a valuable lesson in summarizing (made 2nd place that time). That being said I've done stuff that's over 7 minutes and though I think those particular works are fine as individual works when it comes to using them in a mix they seem to take forever and thus not good for quick mixing due to the progressive nature of those pieces.

http://www.brightspeedrecordings.com/

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  02:27:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Anything longer than 9 mins in Hardcore is rarely necessary. Anything shorter than 7 mins is a bit too short.

Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  02:40:16  Show profile  Send a private message
Depends on the genre...most hardcore tunes are around 6 minutes but I've got techno and acid tracks that peak about 5 minutes in...and then most of the popular songs on the radio these days are usually a little over 3 minutes

atomsk
Advanced Member

United States
1,660 posts
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  02:40:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit atomsk's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Hard2Get:
Anything longer than 9 mins in Hardcore is rarely necessary. Anything shorter than 7 mins is a bit too short.

Is that with "mix ins/mix outs" or Dj friendly?

DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,998 posts
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  03:09:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
I'd say 9 would be fine for trance, but hardcore? I've yet to see a track that long in this genre so please point to one you know of. The "meat" of most tracks is about 3 minutes. Add an intro and an outro and that's roughly 5.

H3RO

United States
145 posts
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  03:25:14  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit H3RO's homepage
Anything longer than 7 minutes is pushing it, in my opinion. Anywhere between 5:00 and 6:30 is what I like.

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  04:39:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ_FunDaBounce:
I'd say 9 would be fine for trance, but hardcore? I've yet to see a track that long in this genre so please point to one you know of. The "meat" of most tracks is about 3 minutes. Add an intro and an outro and that's roughly 5.

Marc Smith - Encounters is 9:09! :D

My SOUNDCLOUD

8D
Advanced Member

Canada
820 posts
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  04:59:42  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 8D's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
quote:

Lenny Dee - Forgotten Moments (Ophidian Remix) 9:57 :D

can we try and find the longest hardcore tune out there?

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  05:03:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
freeform is generally 7mins or over, but majority of the UK hardcore out there is rarely over 7mins these days

i know that hand in pocket 97 is over 7mins :)

Dante
Advanced Member

Vatican City State (Holy See)
1,185 posts
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  05:46:02  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dante's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Brian K:
Depends on the genre...most hardcore tunes are around 6 minutes but I've got techno and acid tracks that peak about 5 minutes in...and then most of the popular songs on the radio these days are usually a little over 3 minutes

Well yeah, but radio tracks don't have intros and outros for DJs :p

I don't think tracks should be too long, unless you can keep it interesting. No point making it 9 minutes if it's just for the sake of it. No need for endless breakdowns. In fact, more tracks should be like Helikaon vs. Ephexis feat. Erik de Grijze - Exploder, in that respect. Just full-on brain**** with a short breakdown, although one isn't necessary. After all it's hardcore, and should be tough.

Also, I bought a breakbeat EP where two tracks are barely above 4:30 and they're just fine, imo. Very happy with that purchase. Nice and varied tracks.

DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,998 posts
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  17:36:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by 8D:
quote:
Originally posted by Quicksilver:
quote:

Lenny Dee - Forgotten Moments (Ophidian Remix) 9:57 :D

can we try and find the longest hardcore tune out there?

Thanx guys. I could only find the Lenny Dee one on youtube. I think the genre helps in the sense that the harder stuff relies a bit less on the melodic and more on the hard bits thus shifting the attention towards the hardness (please excuse the redundancy :P). The symphonic type bits help to further stretch the composition but it's really not evolving much.
Feels like I'm listening to Tiesto.

@Latininxtc: Force & Styles - Heart of Gold is also above 7 minutes

acidfluxxbass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
5,000 posts
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  18:28:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit acidfluxxbass's homepage
As long as you keep the listener entertained using innovation and whatnot, the song could be 15 minutes. The idea of a 'mix' is to make lots of songs sound like one my seamlessly merging them. Obviously one song has to keep the same theme and some consistency, but the same kind of rule applies. It could an hour long as long as its always interesting and innovative.

Helix - Spot The Difference is 8:02

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/archefluxxuk

Edited by - acidfluxxbass on 2011/01/13 18:29:56
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Revs has attended 13 events
Posted - 2011/01/13 :  18:42:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
CLSM's remix of Memories is over 10 minutes long!

I have some trance and some minimal that goes up to 14 minutes!

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.69 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page