Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

toshiba satellite L450-17K ??

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
scottyd2k9
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
749 posts
Posted - 2010/09/20 :  19:15:35  Show profile Send a private message
Im saving up for a 500.00 pound laptop but somone i know is selling this laptop really cheap, would i be able to run fl studio and a few vst's smoothly on it ??

Thanks !

Alert moderator
DJ Specimen

United States
350 posts
Posted - 2010/09/20 :  21:11:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Specimen's homepage
Celeron processor.... do not want...

You would be able to handle everything in THEORY, because the celeron has a good clock speed. Problem is, the thing never works as well as it's supposed to. You don't really need a multicore just to run fruityloops, though they're pretty much the same price as single cores these days.

Point is, unless it's damn near free, I would pass. Get at least a Pentium 4, or even better a Core 2 Duo. Also, looking at the other specs I see it has DDR3 which is incredibly superfluous for a studio laptop, DDR2 is usually a lot cheaper and works just as well unless you're really pushing it with cutting edge games and such. Also, from personal experiences Toshiba laptops have a lot of display issues. A friend of mine had one and the colors inexplicably inverted if you opened the lid past 90 degrees less than a month after the warranty expired.

Summary list to look for:
Core 2 Duo processor, around at 2.2+ GHz
4 Gigs DDR2 RAM
USB 3.0 I believe has finally been released to the market, if you can find it, get it. For a studio laptop I would assume you move a lot of big files with USB Flash Drives and such, the faster connection would just be useful.
Everything else is pretty arbitrary for what it sounds like you need. I forget my conversions exactly, but I think 500 pounds is around $1000 US or somewhere between. What you need should cost around $700 US, although if you find one with USB 3.0 that's very new technology and will probably be much more expensive.

*By the way, I was looking at http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-Pro-L450-17K/1080513/toshibaShop/true/ to get the specs on the laptop you mentioned... make sure that's the same or a lot of what I said is irrelevant lol

That's right, hellokitty.com, and don't act like you don't want one too.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - DJ Specimen on 2010/09/20 21:12:49

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.59 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page