Total online 2046
 Radio listeners 186+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - other genre

Is this thing I think about the 90s true?

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Revs has attended 13 events
Posted - 2010/07/05 :  18:59:36  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
I have a feeling that back in the 90s, all sorts of electronic dance music were one single genre, called Rave Music. And that the people who liked Drum & Bass or Hardcore, liked House or Trance aswell. Nowadays most Hardcore ravers will hate the House ravers, the House ravers will hate the Trance peeps, the Trance peeps will hate the DnB ravers, etc etc.. was this always like that?
And it seems to me that, no matter if House, Hardcore, Trance... anything past 2005 is just crap.. Well not crap - I do like some of the newer stuff (a lot even), but it has lost it's vibe imo! Unfortunately I was too young to know what exactly happened in the 1990's, but when I listen to old tracks I do feel some kind of vibe!
What exactly has happened?

Alert moderator
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2010/07/06 :  01:24:05  Show profile  Send a private message
well over here most people who listened to happy hardcore got along with most music groups. it was usually all the other groups who didn't care for happy, saying it was too childish.

people who listen to gabber pretty much hate everyone (especially trance) except for drum & bass.

lots of people started to become jaded when it came to edm and only wanted to dance to a paticular style. of course if something started to become popular, everyone started hating it =P thing that always cracked me up was when house heads would rip on hardcore for "stealing" house tunes, when a lot of house tunes are straight rips themselves =P

I think part of it comes from production. in the 90s, most tunes had to be made using synthesizes & drum machines...now a days anyone with a computer can put out something.

yes production quality has improved, but the sounds to me are stale as people seem to keep hiting up the same vst packs and not trying to f*ck about on a synthesizer trying to get new sounds out of it.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2010/07/06 :  01:26:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
I think the production quality has gone downhill as much as everything else. And yeah all electronic music is terrible at the moment, simple because no one needs to make an effort anymore or have any skill. Computers do everything for them. It's even worse now Nexus is around, and is the reason pretty much every Hardcore tune sounds the same.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2010/07/06 01:27:22
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2010/07/06 :  02:00:21  Show profile  Send a private message
well I meant production quality as far as dj friendly...

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2010/07/06 :  02:36:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
i don't believe that was true at all in the 90s (about ravers sticking to a specific subgenre of electronica/edm and despising another). maybe where you're from it is, but i can't remember it being like that when i went to them in late 90s early 2000s. Whether it was the drugs or not, ppl eventually throughout the night can go and jam to almost anything as long as the vibe was there.

It was definitely NOT true at the rave I went to. While my friend was DJing, i kind of slipped out and went to the other 2 rooms and noticed a lot of ppl would jump from room to room and chill and maybe even dance to whatever was playing. My friend was playing breaks, then at that time the 1st hardcore DJ of the night (Clusterphuck) was playing in the middle room, and then the main room had house.

so every1 was definitely enjoying the vibe of the place, and even when Moonstruck Red, the more popular hardcore, DJ was mixing in the main room, nobody was leaving. in fact more and more ppl kept comin in to dance to his set!

I think it all depends on the type of rave/event/party it is, and the overall vibe of the ravers that were coming in. And there was no major or int'l headliner dj at this event, so that might've made a difference.

Edited by - latininxtc on 2010/07/06 02:38:03
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Revs has attended 13 events
Posted - 2010/07/06 :  17:36:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Well it's cool to see there's still some people who listen to everything, I hate it when someone is stuck with one genre and discriminates everything else.. This is so conservative! I like pretty much everything and take a break from time to time to listen to something else!

Haha yes Brian, I noticed Gabber heads really hate everyone! But when you say Drum & Bass, I assume you mean Hardstep/Breakcore etc, right?

I love it how guys like Billy Daniel Bunter or Sparky produce whatever they like, no matter what genre it is!

My friends listen to pretty much everything aswell, however when we go out we usually go somewhere where they play either Drum & Bass or House, but that's just because there's nothing else really over here..

The Doc
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,718 posts
The Doc has attended 1 event
Posted - 2010/07/06 :  23:18:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit The Doc's homepage
Yeh, a lot of different dance music was played at raves in the early 90's, it was really good and everyone loved it, it was because you had no big ego DJ's back then, and most of the music was made in bedrooms and garages, by anyone and everyone, these days its a case of if it works then don't change it! There are no new ideas and experimental music becasue its basicaly all been done before!

Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,502 posts
Posted - 2010/07/07 :  16:55:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by The Doc:
Yeh, a lot of different dance music was played at raves in the early 90's, it was really good and everyone loved it, it was because you had no big ego DJ's back then, and most of the music was made in bedrooms and garages, by anyone and everyone, these days its a case of if it works then don't change it! There are no new ideas and experimental music becasue its basicaly all been done before!

Thats the way I see it. The attitudes of the 90s was good music was good music. Many of the tunes had never been heard before & it was said it was rare to hear anything that was boring in those days.

Today alot of the scene, not just Hardcore but similer styles of EDM have adopted an attitude where there is a certain style of music that is accepted as 'mainstream' and older styles are shunned because 'they are old' or 'those days have passed' yet many of the present styles being passed as 'modern' are also becoming stale and dated. Take Darren Style' latest tune, Sound without a name', the tune was off Clubland Extream Hardcore 1 & although modern for 2005 these days it is just another tune and nothing no one has heard before but as Styles is a big name he can get away with re-releasing the tune as a single.

Alot of innovation has been lost & I would say it has been a few years since there have been a large number of tunes that are innotavie.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.27 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page