Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Pioneer EFX-500: Worth the money?

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Revs has attended 13 events
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  22:23:18  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Hey!

I was just thinking of buying an EFX-500! But then I'm not sure if it's really useful? The effects on the DJM-700 are great, and they're enough imo, I couldn't imagine doing stuff with the EFX-500, especially not in Hardcore because too many effects wouldn't fit with that genre... but why not finally?

Do you think it's worth the money? I want it because it looks sexy lol
no just kidding...

Alert moderator
nicolaslievens

France
113 posts
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  23:11:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit nicolaslievens's homepage
well, that's a good question
a few months ago, i was like you: i also have a djm700, and i wanted an efx only for the pan so i think i can help you for that.

why do you need ?
- better effects quality
- you can change by time (example: roll form 1/16 to 1/4 without 1/8 like on the djm)
- feedback loop (not really used on hardcore, but however, cool fx)
- more controls
- if you prefer the efx controls than djm
- added effects like pitch echo or pan
- as you said, it looks sexy lol

why you don't need ?
- there's only 2 effects in more than the djm
- 500/$/ is expansive for 2 effects only
- depends if you use many effects but you said no

if you really want it and that you can't or don't want to put 500, you can buy it to someone, second hand efx500 can be founded near 200-250

it really depends of how you're using for effects

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/04/12 :  15:55:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Hmm it has the Pan? Yeah I would need that.. it's missing me. It's on the DJM-800, the DJM-700 instead has the knob which you can turn manually from the left to the right (like for the new filter) but it's a bit complicated..

Well I already have pitch and echo on the DJM-700 :-) Yeah second hand would be great, that's not much money. I think I'll go with it!

nicolaslievens

France
113 posts
Posted - 2010/04/12 :  16:16:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit nicolaslievens's homepage
yep, it has the pan :)

the efx 500 has, but not the efx1000, weird...

then if you need this fx, don't hesitate, take one in second hand, people you want to sell an efx have lots of difficulties because of the price and also because 90% of the effects are on the djm700/800 ! then you can change the price lower lol

Dain-Ja
Advanced Member

Canada
1,983 posts
Dain-Ja has attended 11 events
Posted - 2010/04/12 :  16:27:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dain-Ja's homepage
1) why would you "need" a pan effect?!
2) the efx 500 kinda sounds like crap (noisy, etc)

Sell your djm 700 and buy a djm 800

Visit makemeRUSH.com for music from the ONLY North American hardcore label pressing vinyl!

FREE track every Monday: http://www.rushdeliveryrecords.com/?p=229

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/04/12 :  18:17:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
What do you mean with it sounds noisy etc??

Well I need this effect, and also you can do more with the other effects! Things you can't on the DJM.

Also, before I bought the DJM-700 I was thinking of getting a DJM-800, but the 700 is better! Many people think that, the higher the number, the better the product, but that's wrong.. Is the CDJ-1000 better than the CDJ-900? No it's not! The DJM-700 has better faders (especially for scratching), better effects, more effects (like the "down effect which creates a breakdown and can really be very cool if you know how to use it, this one would be really missing for me on the DJM-800), an extra knob just for the filter, which sounds great and which is not featured on the DJM-800, and some more things.. the DJM-700 has some less entries, but I don't need them, I already have all possible things you could think of plugged on it (4 decks, monitors, timecode stuff, laptop for recording, computer for streaming, keyboard, etc etc). Also it hasn't got the colour knob for each chanel. But yeah...

If I ever get a new mixer I want something like a DJM-750!

Dain-Ja
Advanced Member

Canada
1,983 posts
Posted - 2010/04/12 :  18:22:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dain-Ja's homepage
I have a djm 800. Its much better than a 700.

The colour knobs are the filters and I use those much more than any effect. The effects layout on the 800 is much better too.

Things that are better on paper aren't better in real life. The reason the cdj 900 beats the 1000 is that its about 5 years newer.

Visit makemeRUSH.com for music from the ONLY North American hardcore label pressing vinyl!

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/04/12 :  18:38:18  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Ohhh so that's the colour knobs! I actually played a lot of times on the 800 but never had the courage to test new stuff in front of people lol

But that breakdown effect is still very important to me! Maybe one day I'll upgrade to an 800 but at the moment I'm satisfied with the gear I have, and it's all I need for what I'm doing atm :)

Dain-Ja
Advanced Member

Canada
1,983 posts
Posted - 2010/04/12 :  18:54:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dain-Ja's homepage
That was my point... Your gear is plenty good. I don't think its worth buying an effects unit since the 700 should suffice.

The money would be better spent on an upgrade to the 800, but even then, I don't see the point.

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/04/12 :  19:54:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Yeah it's kinda true.. ;)
I'll probably leave it then, except if I really find a good reason to buy it!

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.09 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page