Total online 1809
 Radio listeners 161+
Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Traktor Scratch Live or Serato Scratch Live?

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Revs has attended 13 events
Posted - 2010/04/09 :  14:27:07  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Hi

What do you guys think is better ? At the moment I have the Torq Conectic Timecode system, which cost about 300 bucks I think. It's okay but I would like to upgrade to something better.

What comes in question for me is Traktor Scratch Live or Serato Scratch Live. I think they both cost the same (around 600 bucks each one), although Traktor is a bit more complex because the timecode software it uses is the same as the Traktor DJ software (You know, like Virtual DJ and these things). Which means on your screen you have things like Cue, Start, Stop, Effects, etc.. useless things for me because I have my own mixer and my own decks. Whereas SSL has only two "sides" where you drag the tracks without all the useless buttons. I've already played on Traktor Scratch Live with CDJ 1000s and it reacts immediately, it seems to be really good. However I've never played on turntables with it. And I've never tried SSL. So which is better?

Also, is there a timecode system that allows you to connect 4 decks? I would like my turntables but also my CDJs to be on timecode. At the moment I can only connect 2 decks. A system with 4 entries would be ideal because this would avoid me of buying 2 traktor or serato systems, which would look ugly on my desk lol

Thanks!

Alert moderator
Essi

Australia
83 posts
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  05:25:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Essi's homepage
yes traktor is way dominate than serato. You get inbuilt FX, multi deck mixing, a nicer interface and better support BUT this does means that the traktor app uses up quite abit of cup so aslog as you have a decent lappy should all run ok , i have trakror usually use 2decks but sometimes use my time code vinyls and cds at the same time

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  12:02:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Yeah, the thing is I don't need all these Traktor effects etc, I have everything already on my mixer (DJM-700..).

How do you mix with your CDJs and your Turntables at the same time over timecode? It only gives you the possibility to mix with 2 decks so you can either choose:

- 2 Turntables
- 2 CDJs
- 1 CDJ, 1 Turntable

Or does it somehow allow you to use 4 decks?

nicolaslievens

France
113 posts
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  12:15:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit nicolaslievens's homepage
i am not totally sure, but you can't mix with cdj and vinyl at the same time

a friend said to me that torq is pretty good, he also have traktor, and he said he don't see lots of differences between both
torq is more reliable is you have a mac, a little less on a pc, depends of what you think of the interface of each actually ;)

also, mixing on timecode with cdj is awful, you have to know that, no cue (cdj cue = pause) no cdj loops etc

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  12:17:39  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
I don't like Torq, sometimes it doesn't work! So I think it sucks :(

And there IS cue points and loops when mixing with CDJs on a timecode system!! :P I'm sure, I'm doing it all the time haha :)

nicolaslievens

France
113 posts
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  12:55:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit nicolaslievens's homepage
oh, laright my mistakes then ^^

it has changed since the past few years !

so traktor is recognize to not be only vinyl like serato (i mean serato structure is mainly for vinyl)

also, the serato sl1 and 2 can't take more than 2 decks, only the sl3 can and it's very expansive

traktor seems to be the best in my opinion :)

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  13:20:21  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Well Serato is also for CDs, when you buy it, you get 2 Timecode CDs with it :)

SL-3 can have 4 decks? Great that's what I wanted to know! No matter if it's expensive, I'm a rich kid

nicolaslievens

France
113 posts
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  16:41:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit nicolaslievens's homepage
haha ^^ so yes, buy the sl3

but also, traktor can do the same thing (4decks) with more feature, more effects, more settings

as i told you, it depends of what you want: simplicity, reliable: serato // features, 4 decks+midi controllers etc: traktor

but i think, for hardcore, traktor should be nice, and even if you're a rich kid, it's cheaper lol

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  17:57:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by nicolaslievens:
also, traktor can do the same thing (4decks) with more feature, more effects, more settings

Well, this is exactly what I don't need I'm sure the effects from my Pioneer mixer are better than the ones from Traktor! So I need something simple, I guess SSL is the way to go!

But I don't think you can mix with 4 decks! I don't want to mix with the 4 decks on the software, but with 4 real decks! See my point? ;) I want to connect my 2 CDJs and my 2 Turntables to the Serato interface and then be able to drag any track to the deck of my choice. But those timecode interfaces only have inputs/outputs for two decks!

nicolaslievens

France
113 posts
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  18:52:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit nicolaslievens's homepage
yes you can, but only with the sl3

i've just made a mistake, this is not 4 but 3 decks for serato, sorry

i found you the official traktor description:

With the release of Traktor version 3.3, digital DJs can now use the software to mix 4 decks at once! Combine this with Traktor Skratch and youve got yourself one hell of a digital vinyl simulation rig!

and serato can accept 2 phono, and 1 aux in (i think it's the cdj)

so with serato, you can have 2 turntables, and only 1 cdj

with traktor, you can have 2 turntables and 2 cdj, on the same time

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  19:10:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Are you sure they mean 4 REAL decks? Or 4 Virtual decks??

Thanks btw :)

nicolaslievens

France
113 posts
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  22:17:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit nicolaslievens's homepage
founded on a website:

2 vinyl turntables + 2 cd or 4 cd or 2vinyls +1 cd + 1 micro or 2 vinyls + 1cd + recordings/mic/midi control etc...

so yes, you definitely can ;)

i also asked the question on a french forum, they said yes, you can but you can't have 4 vinyls because there's only two phono and the 2 others are line, so cdj

then this is not virtual decks, but 4 real decks ! :)

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/04/11 :  22:18:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Great, thanks!

I have to get this now

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.33 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page