Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Problem with Phono/Line Inputs

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Revs has attended 13 events
Posted - 2010/02/24 :  20:07:05  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Okay I'm a bit confused!

I know that Turntables go into Phono and CDJ's into Line. The thing is my DJM-700 has some pretty weird inputs.

Okay I'm gonna tell you which inputs it has:

Ch-1: CD/Line
Ch-2: CD/Phono
Ch-3: Line/Phono
Ch-4: Line/Phono

Which would mean, as written in the Handbook, that:
CDJ's can only be connected to channel 1 or 2 ( which is strange because I had one my CDJs on ch-3 all the time )
Turntables can be connected to channel 2, 3 and 4

Now comes the weirdest thing ever. So as always, like I did on my old turntables and my old mixer, I connect the Turntables to Ch-1 ( didn't pay attention! ) and Ch-4, because I have the Technics on the outside and the CDJ-800s on the inside ( Technics, CDJ-800, Mixer, CDJ-800, Technics; if you see what I mean ). I start playing on Channel 4 and suddenly everything is distorted. I check the input again and it's fine: It's in Phono. I play something on Channel 1 then ( Turntable into Line input, by accident ) and it works perfectly.

Can anyone explain? Why the hell do the turntables work on line inputs and not on phono inputs?!?! I could leave them in the line inputs but I'm scared that something goes wrong and everything just makes BOOM!, so yeah. Help is appreciated :-)

Cheers !

Alert moderator
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2010/02/24 :  20:14:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Different impedances i assume. Just alter the gain. Any analogue devive can be connected to any analogue input. Any digital device can be connected to any digital input.

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Hard2Get on 2010/02/24 20:14:51
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/02/24 :  20:16:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Yeah I've played around with the Gain, but it doesn't change anything, even if the sound is very low, it's distorted, just like when you connect a wrong output to a wrong input!

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2010/02/24 :  21:02:59  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
The ouput level from an analogue turntable will be different than from a CD deck, hence the channels are set up differently. Why not use the correct channels for the correct devices? I can't see any advantage to having them in a strange order?

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/02/24 :  21:22:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
I don't mind having them in any order ( well it's maybe easier to find the right channel without being confused ), but the thing is, everything is inverted: Turntables don't go in the Tunrtable inputs, but they do work in the CD inputs. And same with the CDJs, they work in phono inputs they shouldnt work. It almost like they wrote the wrong inputs on the mixer.

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2010/02/24 :  21:23:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
So use them in the wrong inputs, if it works it works :P Is this a problem for you?

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/02/24 :  21:29:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Yeah it works and actually no its not a prob, but I'm scared something could happen, imagine suddenly everything blows up? Well I have no other choice left I guess..

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2010/02/24 :  21:30:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
You have nothing whatsoever to worry about. Although you might want to ask the manufacturer why it is this way. On the channels you can switch between stuff, do you have them selected correctly?

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2010/02/24 21:33:27
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/02/24 :  21:54:13  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Yeah, everything is set correctly. I also have a timecode system, so it may be depending on that but it's all set to the correct stuff. But something just came trough my mind: The Turntables are connected to the Timecode Box, which is connected to the computer, which goes back to the box, and finally to the mixer. Do you think this makes it switch to a line thing? Well I don't know, I'll contact Technics and Pioneer or ask someone who has the same gear why it's like that. Or maybe I'll first try to connect the Turntables directly to the mixer, without going thru the Timecode box, it may change something, and then we'll know!

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2010/02/24 :  22:01:03  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
Once the decks are connected to something else then it's no longer the same signal is it?:P Decks should be connected directly to the deck inputs otherwise it's going to be a whole different set up. Didn't you at least try changing the channel to Line? That's what it should be set to anyway if the signal is coming from anywhere but directly from the decks.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2010/02/24 22:02:17
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/02/24 :  22:31:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Yeah that's what I just did mate, and it works :) Indeed the timecode system changes the phono/line signal, since the new signal comes from the computer, and that's a line signal. So I did: Turntable > Timecode Box set to Phono -> Computer -> Back to Timecode Box -> Mixer Line Input -> Mixer Set to Line!

And now it works :)
Ahh feels good! But it's strange because that wasn't the case with my old turntables, and my old mixer. Well probably because they were both absolutely crap

Cheers mate thanks for helping :)

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Posted - 2010/02/24 :  23:54:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
No prob. And yes in the case of your old mixer it would have been because it wasn't good enough for you to even change from one to the other :P

silver
Admin

Japan
12,562 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2010/02/25 :  02:30:37  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
Ch-1: CD/Line

Basically two line ins

Ch-2: CD/Phono
Ch-3: Line/Phono
Ch-4: Line/Phono

A line in and a phono

You can have CD's on all 4 channels, turn tables on 2,3,4 (when selected phono). You technically could have 5 CD's and 3 turntables all hooked up to the mixer at the same time and have it selectable via the switches but only 4 could be played (and heard) at the same time.

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/02/25 :  11:59:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
Yeah I know, but that's the weird thing! Turntables for example do not work on Ch-4 but they do on Ch-1! But as I said, it's because of the timecode system, which transforms the phono signal into a line signal :) Ok everything works now, thanks for the help everyone!

silver
Admin

Japan
12,562 posts

894 hardcore releases
silver is verified hardcore artist silver is a site donation subscriber silver has attended 108 events
Posted - 2010/02/26 :  02:11:30  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit silver's homepage
But you still want to play a regular vinyl in the future so you'll need to setup the phono as well.

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Posted - 2010/02/26 :  10:45:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
I can play real vinyl, on the timecode box you can switch between "USB" ( Timecode Software/Computer ) and "Input" ( Real Vinyl ). Works fine! If something goes wrong again I'll be back!

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.33 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page