Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Cheap gear help

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
atomsk
Advanced Member

United States
1,660 posts
Posted - 2010/02/23 :  03:48:30  Show profile Send a private message
Well I need some kit, I have at most $600 but the cheaper the better.. I would like cdjs, need a mixer and maybe some headphones. I don't want anything to shitty but needs to be under $600.. Is there any good setups for that price?
The mixer just needs the basic things, nothing fancy.
Can anyone help me?
Lol

Alert moderator
Rayovac
Advanced Member

United States
2,049 posts
Rayovac has donated money to the site
Posted - 2010/02/23 :  04:11:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rayovac's homepage
I can't really recommend any monitors or DJ equipment, but as for headphones, I highly recommend a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50s. Average price seems to be around $160 and the quality is wonderful. As for mixers, while I can't recommend a specific model, I really like Mackie mixers. I would advise checking out their VLZ3 series.

This also means "People read."

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Rayovac on 2010/02/23 04:12:27
z121231211

United States
61 posts
z121231211 has attended 2 events
Posted - 2010/02/23 :  04:12:33  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit z121231211's homepage
I don't recommend buying a kit under $1000, but if you really need something Gemini has a bunch of cheap CDJs. Though I hear they lag a lot.

Lorenzo.Tweakn
Advanced Member

United States
1,327 posts
Lorenzo.Tweakn has attended 2 events
Posted - 2010/02/23 :  15:32:26  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lorenzo.Tweakn's homepage
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Numark-NDX400-Tabletop-Scratch-CD-Player-887950-i1470740.gc

theyre 200 each. than u can get a basic mixer for like $100. and i cheap pair of headphones for like $50.

so your looking at $550?

atomsk
Advanced Member

United States
1,660 posts
Posted - 2010/02/23 :  21:32:07  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit atomsk's homepage
I seen this, it's about $700, but is it worth it?
I could care 2 shits about the iPhone thing, but it's a contoler and you can use thumb drives with it

http://www.planetdj.com/i--MIXDECK

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
latininxtc has attended 5 events
Posted - 2010/03/01 :  06:38:31  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
don't get any headphones over $100 you'll go thru them quickly it's what most djs will tell u

American Audio is a good little device to start with. it's 1 piece with 2 cdjs and a mixer

i'm considering getting the Numark Mixdeck it's about 700 + whatever and it's like an american audio only difference it's compatible with USB and also an ipod (which i more than likely will never use)

tommy_renegade

United Kingdom
343 posts
tommy_renegade has attended 4 events
Posted - 2010/03/01 :  11:10:29  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit tommy_renegade's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by latininxtc:
don't get any headphones over $100 you'll go thru them quickly it's what most djs will tell u

not true, you get what you pay for. I had sony mdrv-700's (90 at the time) for 4 years before they broke and had my sennheiser hd25's (149 at the time) for over 2 years.

Dain-Ja
Advanced Member

Canada
1,983 posts
Dain-Ja has attended 11 events
Posted - 2010/03/01 :  20:31:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dain-Ja's homepage
All in one DJ kit is terrible and should be avoided

Get a 2 channel vestax or urei mixer. Not too expensive and durable, with everything you need to learn and good sound quality.

Then get two used CDJ-100s or 200s. Don't buy any numark/gemini/Stanton.

Visit makemeRUSH.com for music from the ONLY North American hardcore label pressing vinyl!

FREE track every Monday: http://www.rushdeliveryrecords.com/?p=229

Essi

Australia
83 posts
Posted - 2010/03/02 :  01:18:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Essi's homepage
VCI 300

atomsk
Advanced Member

United States
1,660 posts
Posted - 2010/03/03 :  09:07:37  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit atomsk's homepage
Sorry for the late reply, what's so wrong about all-in-ones?
It's for noobs like me, right? I've only had hands on with a kit a handful of times... So saying that,still bad?

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
Posted - 2010/03/03 :  14:25:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
if it's something like the numark total control in a box and the m-audio x-ponent then i can c why ppl would have negative views on it.

but i really don't see any problem with the mixdeck if you are just starting out. i will however point out that if not properly taken care of, 1 of your cdjs can get damage and when that happens you'll have to buy a cdj on the side as a replacement. happened 2 a friend of mine w/ the american audio

atomsk
Advanced Member

United States
1,660 posts
Posted - 2010/03/03 :  23:48:46  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit atomsk's homepage
quote:
if it's something like the numark total control in a box and the m-audio x-ponent then i can c why ppl would have negative views on it.

but i really don't see any problem with the mixdeck if you are just starting out. i will however point out that if not properly taken care of, 1 of your cdjs can get damage and when that happens you'll have to buy a cdj on the side as a replacement. happened 2 a friend of mine w/ the american audio

So you bascily saying, dont buy them cuz if one thing breaks.. It's mostly a pos then?
It's not like I would take it to a gig or something, like I said, it's only for me to learn lol

latininxtc
Advanced Member

United States
7,307 posts
Posted - 2010/03/04 :  21:02:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit latininxtc's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by atomsk:
quote:

So you bascily saying, dont buy them cuz if one thing breaks.. It's mostly a pos then?
It's not like I would take it to a gig or something, like I said, it's only for me to learn lol

well it also depends on where you get it. if you get it at guitarcenter and you get the warranty on it, then you are set. the warranty is pretty damn good there and will replaces it so that will prevent you from having to go out and buy a totally new 1 or a replacement piece

Dogsy
Average Member

United Kingdom
212 posts
Dogsy has attended 4 events
Posted - 2010/03/31 :  11:34:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dogsy's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Essi:
VCI 300

I have one of those its a great bit of kit.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.28 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page