Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Kick and bass eq guide!

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Ukronic

Denmark
89 posts
Posted - 2010/02/18 :  11:01:44  Show profile Send a private message
Hi i found this..works pretty good!

Q: "How do I keep the kick from burying the bass (or bass burying the kick) in my mix?"

A: The most prevalent sonic signature of popular music is the blending of kick drum and bass. Since much of the power in a mix comes from the bass frequencies, the way kick and bass are handled is crucial from a mix perspective as well as a stylistic viewpoint. Generally objective is to have them work together as a unit, and yet still hear them individually. A typical problem is that the kick drum seems to get lost in the mix while the overall bottom sounds muddy. Assuming a good performance on each instrument, the perfect marriage of kick and bass rests mainly in equalization (or EQ as it is called). The frequency range of the bass and drums overlaps in the low frequency range through the low midrange. The attack of the bass is heard between 700 - 1000Hz, while the attack of the kick drum presents information at 3000 to 4000Hz.

A common trick to getting a full sound between kick and bass while retaining clarity is to boost the lows on the kick (60-80Hz) cut the low mids anywhere from 150Hz to 400Hz (sometimes called the mudrange) and boost the highs at around 3000Hz. This will provide a solid low end, remove some of the mud in the midrange and accentuate the attack of the kick pedal on the drum. For the bass, we do pretty much the opposite; cut the lows where you boosted them on the kick (60-80Hz) boost the bass at around 120 - 150Hz which will provide a full bass sound (while occupying the frequency space we made by cutting the kick drum in this range), and boost the highs at around 900Hz since bass also provides information in that range as well. In short, we are emphasizing the frequencies that are important to the sound of each, while cutting the frequencies where they can conflict. Try this technique. You'll get a full bottom with a clear thump with a defined attack in the kick and a clear, full bass.

Another important thing to keep in mind is what we said earlier about the most power in the mix coming from the low end; EQ is frequency dependent amplification, which means that we are boosting the power of a particular frequency. Too much boost can result in either distortion or less headroom in the mix for other instruments, so use it sparingly. If you're boosting a frequency in one instrument, you should cut that frequency in another instrument, as our kick and bass technique describes. Overall, EQ is most effective as a subtractive device, not additive.

http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/techtips/d--04/23/2004

Alert moderator

Edited by - Ukronic on 2010/02/18 11:02:57
acidfluxxbass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
5,000 posts
Posted - 2010/02/18 :  11:41:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit acidfluxxbass's homepage

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/archefluxxuk

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Audio Warfare has attended 19 events
Posted - 2010/02/18 :  11:47:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
I'm guessing this isn't written with an off beat bass in mind tbh mate. Kick and Bass don't play at the same time therefore there wont be any clashing frequencies.

I think the main thing you should be looking at with a standard hardcore kick and bass is to make sure they are well separated. You will normally have to shorten the kick using the ADSR to stop it interfering with the bass. Be careful not to chop off the low end of the kick and just leave yourself with the clicky attack bit. Make sure you don't have the bass as an entire eighth; it will need to be shortened a bit and keep the release low, this will stop it running into the kick.

Remember to low cut anything that is eating up low end that shouldnt be. This will create more room for the kick and bass. Even things like Hi Hats could be filling up low end, you may not be able to hear it but it will effect the overall mix as it builds up!

You will no doubt need to do some EQ work to the bass. I often roll off the top end for example so its not too too bright. Try and get it as near as possible using the filter on the synth before resorting to EQ mind! I dont think you can really write a guide saying exactly where to cut and boost as any sound you use will be different.

You may already know all this but I'm bored at work so thought Id throw it up. :P

acidfluxxbass
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
5,000 posts
Posted - 2010/02/18 :  12:04:00  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit acidfluxxbass's homepage
also at work bored, so I'll explain how I operate.

I try to use the low kick and high kick either side of the bass, which is cut off at about 80hz and then spikes a lil on the high end.

I've only started using the kick properly recently... By seperating them, in the short sections I feature an ongoing bassline and alternate perc pattern, they are nicely clarified...

Of course, I try to keep the kick short and punchy, so it doesnt clash with the bass stabs. I often shorten bass stabs aswell.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/archefluxxuk

Dante
Advanced Member

Vatican City State (Holy See)
1,185 posts
Posted - 2010/02/18 :  12:33:11  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dante's homepage
I always have my bass a step and a half long, I guess that's 3/32 in classical terms ;p and shorten the kick a little bit too, sometimes.

I generally don't EQ the kick much, maybe a little bit if there's any clash (that I detect, anyway). For bass I boost the sub and low mids, lower it a little at around 60-80 and cut away or seriously lower anything close to treble (thanks gaz ;)). I create my bass sounds with FL 3x Osc ;D

Ukronic

Denmark
89 posts
Posted - 2010/02/18 :  12:55:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Ukronic's homepage
what about reduce the kick with compressor?? is it needed ? (vengeance kicks)

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Posted - 2010/02/18 :  13:37:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage

I generally compress my kicks but it depends on the kick I guess. The VEC kicks would have already been compressed so may not need it. It's really a case by case thing.

quote:
Originally posted by acidfluxxbass:
also at work bored, so I'll explain how I operate.

I try to use the low kick and high kick either side of the bass, which is cut off at about 80hz and then spikes a lil on the high end.

Are you saying you low cut your bass from 80hz? I really wouldn't do that man. The sub bass levels on an off beat bass should really be level with the kick (although the kick is louder in overall db). If anything I give it a little boost around 60(ISH) but generally it doesn't need it if you have your sub layer loud enough.

If the low end on the kick and bass isnt level then the track will have very little power on the dancefloor. You may not notice it much listening at home but stick it on a big soundsystem and it will be very apparent.

quote:
Originally posted by Dante:
(thanks gaz ;)).

's alright. ;)

Edited by - Audio Warfare on 2010/02/18 13:49:15
DJ Rhythmics

United States
130 posts
Posted - 2010/02/18 :  20:28:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Rhythmics's homepage
Completely disagree with that first post O_o cutting the mids between 150-1000 is laughable imo!

- If you are using Vengeance kicks (or most sampled kicks), there is little need to modify them. They are specially built to easily fit in your mix. AT MOST, add a *bit* of compression, but I know for a fact that Vengeance kicks are already compressed, so don't go crazy with it!

- Like AW said, its VERY important that not only your kick is cut to fit the appropriate space it should take up (it should end right before the off bass), but that you make sure it hits right when the beat starts! Even the slightest gap or delay in its trigger can have some real odd effects on the track!

- Like everything else in your mix, EQ on your off bass will always depend on the mix (There is no formula), but a good rule of thumb that was taught to me is to bounce both your kick and off bass, high pass at 100hz, and give it a listen. Are the kick and bass balanced? If so, you should be good.

From my experience with the nitty gritty of things, the best advice I can give is to use your ears. If you think it sounds good, go for it. Just keep this rule in mind: Make Space! If your sounds are barely breathing through the mix, you're doing it wrong ;)

Audio Warfare
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
3,047 posts
Posted - 2010/02/18 :  20:41:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Audio Warfare's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Rhythmics:
a good rule of thumb that was taught to me is to bounce both your kick and off bass, high pass at 100hz, and give it a listen. Are the kick and bass balanced? If so, you should be good.

That's a good tip man. I always use a spectrum analyser (and my ears of course) but might give this a try.

Citrick
Average Member

Ireland
234 posts
Posted - 2010/02/19 :  00:13:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Citrick's homepage
Awesome topic guys!

*hugs happyhardcore.com*

roundhead711
Average Member

United Kingdom
162 posts
Posted - 2010/02/19 :  00:25:35  Show profile  Send a private message
Anyone fancy telling me what levels i need to change in this.........?
You'll have a field day as i made it with a pair of pc speakers ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?jmjtlgwgiig

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2010/02/19 :  01:58:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
The kick is quite alot louder than everything else so you need to start by turning that down :>

milo
Advanced Member

Canada
3,391 posts

347 hardcore releases
milo is verified hardcore artist milo has attended 89 events
Posted - 2010/02/19 :  03:24:12  Show profile View artist profile  Send a private message  Visit milo's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by DJ Rhythmics:
- Like everything else in your mix, EQ on your off bass will always depend on the mix (There is no formula), but a good rule of thumb that was taught to me is to bounce both your kick and off bass, high pass at 100hz, and give it a listen. Are the kick and bass balanced? If so, you should be good.

*cough* where did you learn that one, rhythmics? *cough*

DJ Rhythmics

United States
130 posts
Posted - 2010/02/19 :  03:57:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ Rhythmics's homepage
Well I could name drop but I'm not gay like that :P

Quicksilver
Advanced Member

Sweden
2,545 posts
Posted - 2011/08/13 :  22:48:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Quicksilver's homepage
Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but it came up on my search...

Rhythmics says to not add any effects except possible compression on the kicks, but say I put my kick to -7 dB without effects and everything else at below that or close to -7, the kick gets drowned out. It's like I would have to send everything but the kick to like -12 dB or something for it to cut through nicely but that doesn't seem right? That would make for a very quiet track, no? I don't use a lot of effects on my stuff, depending on the sound I'll tweak EQ (mostly cutting the low end stuff for leads and special sounds), add some compression to percussion and if needed on synths, reverb, delay, flangers and so on.

How do I make a hard hitting Vengeance kick cut through without effects? I usually resort to slapping a slight limiter on it, but I suspect that's wrong even if it makes the kick cut through? (I learnt this from KevWillow's tutorial, lol)

My SOUNDCLOUD

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2011/08/13 :  23:05:17  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
A limiter is just a dynamic proccessor, it's not an effect, so what you're saying dosn't apply here. It really helps to learn why you're told not to use effects. Mainly it's because the kick, at least in the case of Hardcore, should be right at the front of the mix, and adding things like reverb, unless done skillfully pushes it back in the mix. Otherwise do whatever the hell you like. Once you understand what part the instrument your effecting plays in the mix then you can decide for yourself wether it is right or wrong to add any effects or signal processing. Nothing is ever generally 'wrong', it is based entirely on the context. People are told not to do things as a general starting point, but once you understand why you shouldn't then it no longer applies.

If you're kick is too quiet however then yes the best place to start is by turning everything else down (assuming the kick is going to be the loudest thing in the mix). There is no need to complicate things. If the relative volume of the kick is not the problem then you need to find out why. So either find a new kick accordingly or change the one you have so that it does cut through. Using a signal proccessor to address a fundamental problem with a sound should be a last resort.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2011/08/13 23:14:10

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.2 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page