Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Behringer DDM400?

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
TheOneNOnly
Advanced Member

United States
1,937 posts
Posted - 2010/01/22 :  00:43:41  Show profile Send a private message
So I'm looking to replace my mixer as it's an old two channel Stanton, and I'm looking to upgrade to four channel. I was looking around, and found this, and read up on how it's good for Serato Scratch Live (Which I'm getting also).

Has anyone used this?

And no, I'm not spending $500 more to get a Pioneer, I'm already putting a lot of money into getting this with Serato, just wanted to know if anyone had used it before.

Current set-up:
Stanton STR81 Turntable x2
Stanton M.212

The Past, The Present, The Future (CD One)
The Past, The Present, The Future (CD Two)

Alert moderator
Brian K
Advanced Member

United States
8,663 posts

528 hardcore releases
Brian K has attended 5 events
Posted - 2010/01/22 :  01:26:59  Show profile  Send a private message
any 4 channel mixer will work better than a 2 channel for using scratch, but I'd personally recommend against a behringer...as they say, you get what you pay for.

if price is an issue you could get a 5000fx for $500. only thing I hate on it is you can't replace the x-fader

Alert moderator Go to top of page
TheOneNOnly
Advanced Member

United States
1,937 posts
Posted - 2010/01/22 :  01:38:34  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TheOneNOnly's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Brian K:
any 4 channel mixer will work better than a 2 channel for using scratch, but I'd personally recommend against a behringer...as they say, you get what you pay for.

if price is an issue you could get a 5000fx for $500. only thing I hate on it is you can't replace the x-fader

DDM400 is cheaper then that, and I've heard it's a good build quality.

And I'm like OCD about taking good care of my equipment. That's why none of my CDs have a scratch, my computer is always clean and running cool, and my equipment is two years old, and works great. Just want to get into Serato, and I don't want to really use a two-channel mixer.

Edited by - TheOneNOnly on 2010/01/22 01:39:09
Dain-Ja
Advanced Member

Canada
1,983 posts
Dain-Ja has attended 11 events
Posted - 2010/01/22 :  01:40:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dain-Ja's homepage
Behringer + build quality = oxymoron

Visit makemeRUSH.com for music from the ONLY North American hardcore label pressing vinyl!

FREE track every Monday: http://www.rushdeliveryrecords.com/?p=229

TheOneNOnly
Advanced Member

United States
1,937 posts
Posted - 2010/01/22 :  01:43:56  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TheOneNOnly's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dain-Ja:
Behringer + build quality = oxymoron

Eh, I've always used Stanton to be honest.

I just need a good 4 channel mixer around and under $400.

The 5000FX is at $400, but the cross fader bothers me. Looks way to small, don't know why. Might be just the picture.

Dain-Ja
Advanced Member

Canada
1,983 posts
Posted - 2010/01/22 :  02:26:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dain-Ja's homepage
5000FX sucks too
I had to play on that at a rave once and I couldn't believe how bad it is. Plus it sounds like shit, like most Numarks. Least musical EQs ever.

for 500$ I'd get a good 2 channel:

-Urei has some really cheap wicked ones with effects for way less than that.
-Vestax has some decently built 2-4 channels for under that
-a used DJM500 shouldn't be too hard to find for under 500$ and it'll be much better than that Behringer crap. Plus, even if faders get worn out they're really cheap to replace.

Visit makemeRUSH.com for music from the ONLY North American hardcore label pressing vinyl!

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2010/01/22 :  02:42:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:
as they say, you get what you pay for.

Nothing more needs to be said, ever.

TheOneNOnly
Advanced Member

United States
1,937 posts
Posted - 2010/01/22 :  11:07:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TheOneNOnly's homepage
quote:
5000FX sucks too
I had to play on that at a rave once and I couldn't believe how bad it is. Plus it sounds like shit, like most Numarks. Least musical EQs ever.

-a used DJM500 shouldn't be too hard to find for under 500$ and it'll be much better than that Behringer crap. Plus, even if faders get worn out they're really cheap to replace.

Urei 1601S looks pretty good, found some cheaper DJM500's but the lack of warranty would bother me really, but I could deal.

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Revs has attended 13 events
Posted - 2010/01/22 :  14:10:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
The DDM4000 is a good mixer, good sound quality, good built quality, not like most of Behringer stuff. Yeah, it's actually an exception.

There's cool things you can do with it, but on the other hand some things are missing for me. Like the roll effect.

Forget the DJM-500, I've played on it so many times, it's the shittiest thing I've ever played on.

A good mixer which I would recommend you, would be the DJM-600. It's cool, I like it very much, I prefer it to the Behringer tbh. There's also the DJM-700 which is the same, just that it's digital instead of analog, and yeah it's got some more stuff, it's actually between the DJM-800 and DJM-600.

But the DDM4000 is definitely a good mixer! I don't really like the EQ tho. The EQ on Pioneer mixers is way better imo, it's more like a filter.

Dain-Ja
Advanced Member

Canada
1,983 posts
Posted - 2010/01/22 :  15:46:20  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dain-Ja's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by TheOneNOnly:
quote:
5000FX sucks too

Urei 1601S looks pretty good, found some cheaper DJM500's but the lack of warranty would bother me really, but I could deal.

You might even be able to get the DJM-600 for that price... I wouldn't worry about the lack of warranty because Pioneer, unlike Behringer, is easily serviceable and replacement parts are widely available. You can stick Xone faders in there and it'll work fine, for example.

Yeah, the Urei I was talking about about is the 1601. There's a few different versions based on your preferences and I've only heard good things.

Revs: I'd hope that you'd prefer any DJM over the Behringer. The Behringer is a piece of crap with far too many buttons. It's just full of gimmicks so that noobs think it's better on paper.

The DJM-700 is way above his price range. Plus, based on the cost of it new, it seems like a useless product - you might as well get the DJM-800 for only slightly more.

You'll never walk into a club and see a Behringer, you might as well get a DJM (any DJM is fine since they all have the same layout and the faders and EQs react more or less the same way on all of them). Pioneer EQs are very forgiving and sound very good on hardcore.

Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Revs has attended 13 events
Posted - 2010/01/22 :  16:09:27  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
I agree that it has too many useless buttons and functions, for example for the crossfader, you have some kind of wheel to set the fader for scratching, or normal, etc.. when the arrow is in the middle, it's in normal mode. The problem is, in the dark, you don't see the arrow, which sucks pretty much when you want to switch between scratch mode/normal mode. Whereas on the DJM you just have 3 buttons and you can easily switch them, so it's easy to find. Well, just an example.

TheOneNOnly
Advanced Member

United States
1,937 posts
Posted - 2010/01/22 :  16:26:19  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit TheOneNOnly's homepage
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm probably going to scrap up some more money and get a used DJM-600. Looks really good from what I've found on it.

Thanks again.

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.11 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page