Remember my login 
 All forums
 Music discussion - other genre
 Moved: 

METALLICA - the Digital Compression Editions

Printer friendly
Page: 
of 2

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Lilley
Advanced Member

Australia
3,740 posts
Lilley has attended 7 events
Posted - 2009/12/26 :  14:50:55  Show profile Send a private message
Metallica's Death Magnetic is probably the album with the worst sound quality that I have ever heard, and is absolutely horrid to listen to due to being mixed so ridiculously loud you cant actually hear it. First time I listened to it was on my car's 4 inch speakers, and I thought they had finally given up the ghost or melted in the sun (it was a hot day). When I arrived home I put it in my stereo and couldnt believe what I was hearing. The songs were clipping the whole way through, not just a little, but a lot. Something that you would expect on a 96 kb/s WMA was the signature sound of a cd brand new out of the case. Bit I digress

Metallica have updated their entire catalogue with the Digital Compression Editions. Ever thought that Fight Fire With Fire was a song for pussies, Kill 'Em All could use some improvement and Ride The Lightning was never really loud enough? Well we have just the thing for you! Cliff Burnstein, Metallica's co-manager, calls response "overwhelmingly positive," and that "There's something exciting about this sound ... that people are responding to." Thanks to Warner Brothers: Brickwalling Division, we give you:

METALLICA - the Digital Compression Editions

Alert moderator

Edited by - Triquatra on 2009/12/26 14:58:37
Lilley
Advanced Member

Australia
3,740 posts
Posted - 2009/12/26 :  15:34:22  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lilley's homepage
found the funniest comment well down a bit

Trevtrev68:
"your a discrace to metallica, if they wanted their music to sound like shit they would have done it them selves"

Alert moderator Go to top of page
choonland
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,100 posts
Posted - 2009/12/26 :  15:50:45  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit choonland's homepage
why did u buy that cd in the first place, everybody knew "death magnetic" sucked :P
metallica's era ended a long long time ago
they now sound like a 14year-old punk band wannabe...

about the video: WIN!

Edited by - choonland on 2009/12/26 15:55:38
choonland
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,100 posts
Posted - 2009/12/26 :  15:59:47  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit choonland's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Lilley:

Trevtrev68:
"your a discrace to metallica, if they wanted their music to sound like shit they would have done it them selves"

I would change that statement to:
"your a discrace to metallica, they make their music sound like shit by them selves, they dont need extra help"

Edited by - choonland on 2009/12/26 16:00:54
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,153 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2009/12/26 :  16:03:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
where the hell did this come from? =P

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

DarrenJ
Advanced Member

Australia
2,626 posts
DarrenJ has attended 12 events
Posted - 2009/12/26 :  16:27:24  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DarrenJ's homepage
The rockband/guitar hero games have better compession then the cd's for most arts inc metallica...
weird like that

proberly why "one" rocks so awsome thu my 32' panasonic

Edited by - DarrenJ on 2009/12/26 16:30:59
Meathead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
4,217 posts
Posted - 2009/12/26 :  17:12:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Meathead's homepage

Pretty site ain't it :/

"Music creates order out of chaos; for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous." -Sir Yehudi Menuhin

Edited by - Meathead on 2009/12/26 17:13:33
Lilley
Advanced Member

Australia
3,740 posts
Posted - 2009/12/27 :  06:16:44  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lilley's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Naturatech:
quote:

Trevtrev68:

"your a discrace to metallica, they make their music sound like shit by them selves, they dont need extra help"

you missed the point

Lilley
Advanced Member

Australia
3,740 posts
Posted - 2009/12/27 :  06:18:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lilley's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Meathead:
Pretty site ain't it :/

Its an absolute joke. After they suckered me into purchasing $30 of excrement I had no issues with downloading the guitar hero version.

8D
Advanced Member

Canada
820 posts
Posted - 2009/12/27 :  07:00:57  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 8D's homepage
quote:
quote:
quote:

Trevtrev68:

you missed the point

but still funny

Lilley
Advanced Member

Australia
3,740 posts
Posted - 2009/12/27 :  14:23:04  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lilley's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by 8D:
quote:
you missed the point

but still funny

God help me.

No. you see, what the author did was make a statement that seems incredulous, but turned out to be true. Its called irony - irony: the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect. Given that metallica made the cd so loud that it did sound like shit is humorous because the statement implies that they would never make a cd sound shit by their own accord but the reality is they did make it sound like shit, and they didnt need anyone's help.

Your statement however shows that you completely missed this point, and your bland stating of the obvious is just... well, bland, and doesnt contain the irony necessary to generate a humorous connotation.

as for
quote:
everybody knew "death magnetic" sucked :P

I'd like to meet this everybody character, he must be quite have forceful personality for you to be so impressed by his opinion. As for general consensus however, major majority of listeners think that death magnetic was a step back toward their glory days in thrash, certainly not at the same point but in the right direction, the opposite from the mistake that was St Anger. Cant really compare it to black/load/reload simply due to the huge difference in style. IMO it was quite a bit like some of maiden in sound and style, but unfortunately it was just completely unlistenable.

Edited by - Lilley on 2009/12/27 14:25:12
atomsk
Advanced Member

United States
1,660 posts
Posted - 2009/12/27 :  21:09:51  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit atomsk's homepage
Are you sure it just wasnt a bad cd or something, a big band like that wouldnt get a shit cd like that cuz they would fall....

Ill "buy" a cd of that album and see if its clipping that bad

edit: nvm they say the mixing was shity...

Edited by - atomsk on 2009/12/27 21:15:40
atomsk
Advanced Member

United States
1,660 posts
Posted - 2009/12/27 :  21:21:58  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit atomsk's homepage
quote:
The album has been criticized for having compromised sound quality, due to an overly compressed dynamic range, leading to audible clipping and distortion.[69] Sean Michaels of The Guardian explains that "the sound issues are a result of the "loudness war" – an ongoing industry effort to make recordings as loud as possible".[70] A Rolling Stone article states that Rick Rubin was "overseeing mixes in Los Angeles while the band is in Europe, headlining shows" and only communicated with him by conference calls.[71] Fans have noted that these sonic problems are not present in the Guitar Hero version of the album, where the tracks are present separately because of the game mechanics.[72][73] MusicRadar and Rolling Stone attribute a quote to the album's mastering engineer Ted Jensen in which he claims that "mixes were already brick-walled before they arrived" for mastering[74][75] and cite a petition from fans to remix or remaster the album. The petition has gained over 21,000 votes as of November 26, 2009.[76]
Metallica and Rubin initially declined to comment on the issue, while the band's co-manager Cliff Burnstein stated that complainers were in a minority and that response to the album had otherwise been "overwhelmingly positive".[77] Lars Ulrich later confirmed in an interview with Blender, that some creative control regarding the album's production had indeed been transferred to Rubin but also stressed his satisfaction with the final product.[78][79]

thats funny, off wiki

8D
Advanced Member

Canada
820 posts
Posted - 2009/12/27 :  22:35:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit 8D's homepage
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 8D:
quote:
you missed the point

but still funny

God help me.

No. you see, what the author did was make a statement that seems incredulous, but turned out to be true. Its called irony - irony: the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect. Given that metallica made the cd so loud that it did sound like shit is humorous because the statement implies that they would never make a cd sound shit by their own accord but the reality is they did make it sound like shit, and they didnt need anyone's help.

Your statement however shows that you completely missed this point, and your bland stating of the obvious is just... well, bland, and doesnt contain the irony necessary to generate a humorous connotation.

I see how I missed that, but you didn't have to type out the definition of irony and be a jerk about it

choonland
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,100 posts
Posted - 2009/12/27 :  22:57:50  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit choonland's homepage
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 8D:
quote:
you missed the point

but still funny

God help me.

this is like a "big bang theory" moment

quote:

as for
quote:
everybody knew "death magnetic" sucked :P

I'd like to meet this everybody character, he must be quite have forceful personality for you to be so impressed by his opinion. As for general consensus however, major majority of listeners think that death magnetic was a step back toward their glory days in thrash, certainly not at the same point but in the right direction, the opposite from the mistake that was St Anger. Cant really compare it to black/load/reload simply due to the huge difference in style. IMO it was quite a bit like some of maiden in sound and style, but unfortunately it was just completely unlistenable.

u got me there :P
I actually only listened one song from death magnetic, and it wasn't completely terrible, but after st anger, I really didn't think they could do anything good ever again, so I didn't bother listening magnetic.

Lilley
Advanced Member

Australia
3,740 posts
Posted - 2009/12/29 :  13:16:48  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Lilley's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by 8D:
I see how I missed that, but you didn't have to type out the definition of irony and be a jerk about it

quote:

this is like a "big bang theory" moment

can you explain that statement? I've never watched it.
quote:
u got me there :P
I actually only listened one song from death magnetic, and it wasn't completely terrible, but after st anger, I really didn't think they could do anything good ever again, so I didn't bother listening magnetic.

Its actually a pretty decent album apart from the sound issues

New PostPost Reply
Topic is 2 pages long: 1  2
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 2.04 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page