Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music discussion - other genre

Best era for each music genre you are listening to

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Revs
Advanced Member

Austria
2,583 posts
Revs has attended 13 events
Posted - 2009/11/30 :  16:41:41  Show profile Send a private message  Visit Revs's homepage
For me it would be …

UK Hardcore: 2002-2007
I liked the trancier sound, and what I don't like in the new Hardcore are those annoying synths which I can't stand, especially the ones in Joey Riot tracks, well I never liked them anyway. I like wide, bright synths. Not clown-synths. I also think the tracks have generally lost pressure. If you listen to some of the older stuff the kicks are not very clear, but they're deap and well … hard. I don't like these 'tok' beats, they're too loud and yeah, I just don't like them, like in DJ Kurt's tracks for example. Or Joey Riot again.

Breakbeat Hardcore: 2005-Present
I've always liked Breakbeat Hardcore, and I also love the old stuff from the 90s. Like Bertie - Not a Problem or Ruffage - Paradise, some of the tunes that actually got me into Hardcore :-)
But I think in the 2000s Breaks somehow got forgotten and since 2005 it has won it's importance again. You see more and more of it now ( on compilations, mixes, releases, etc ). Since 2005-2006 it's been released more and more, that was the begining of Darwin, Cube::Hard ( under his new alias ), Reese. And yeah, it's getting better and better, but we definitely need more of it!

Gabber/Frenchcore: Early 2000s
I can't say much about Gabber because I'm not into it, I've been listening to several tracks from different eras and I think new stuff is absolutely terrible. I think the best Gabber was in the early 2000s, although I don't listen to it very much ( only if it's already in a mix.. ).
Talking about Frenchcore I know more, for me the old stuff does it. New Frenchcore is again, terrible. But here in Vienna we got some Happy Hardcore DJ's who here and there also play some Frenchcore and well, it's ****ing awesome! It's not how everyone knows it, it's more like sped up UK Hardcore, because it's not distorted. It contains a lot of scratching, reversed kicks and stuff, roll effects, all kinds of strange sounds, really great :-)

Freeform: 2004-Present
Hmm I never really had a problem with Freeform. There was always good tracks in each era, from London Helsinki Underground ( K-Komplex Remix ) - Kevin Energy & DJ Proteus (2004), Raise Alarm/Apex - Ephexis (2006-2007), Suicide ( AMS Remix ) - Kurt (2007) to Feeling High - Slippery Disco (2009), they're all great imo. Although there's also some terrible stuff like Kevin Energy's remix of Feeling High.

Hard Trance: 1999-present
When I was a kid I was already listening to Hard Trance, I just didn't know it was Hard Trance haha! I remember the tracks Nexus - Next and Exploration of Space - Cosmic Gate. Awesome tracks, I love them! Hard Trance to me still sounds wicked, it's very atmospheric and stuff, and not too fast, altought I think the track that have been released in the past 3-4 years sound very similar and repetitive. All the intros sound exactly the same, and if you think about it, the whole tracks are the same, with the difference that they play different melodies with the synths. But I still like it and enjoy it.

Trance: 1999-Present
Can't really say much about it as I'm not listening much to it, but generally I like all tracks, from the old ones that still have this eurodance sound to the new ones that sound more Housey or so.

Hard House: --
Again, can't say much about it, don't really listen to it, but I think it's a bit of the same problem like Hard Trance. It's very repetitive.

House: 2002-2006
House has gone really commercial in the past few years. I do like the new tracks that are being released at the moment, but House was just better a few years ago. Sure, now even more people like it, but it's not the fat music it used to be. They're now more making RnB stylish stuff. I have a feeling that it's since David Guetta launched his Poplife-Album in 2007 that everything went down. It's a shame, really, because I liked his stuff. Same with DJ Klaas, he used to make such fat stuff, with so much pressure. And it's all gone … I also think the new tracks are in lack of emotions. The epic melodies, vocals, strings, etc have gone. When I'm out for a night the day after I always think about it of course. How was it, what did the DJ play, etc etc. And the image I have in my head is "It was the same music for 6 hours". Sure, when you're there it rocks your body, but once you think about it, it's nothing that 'falls into your ears'. Or maybe it's just the DJ's having a bad track selection. Because I know so many wicked tracks, but they never get played. Well, maybe they're too old. I won't mention any names now, as probably almost no one will know them on here.

Jungle/Drum & Bass: 1996-Present
DnB is absolutely wicked stuff! I love everything, absolutely everything! I'm totally in love with the oldskool stuff, like for example from Omni Trio! Hospital Records also release wicked stuff! But on the other side, I also like the very fat DnB, like Spor, Noisia, Panacea,.. There's nothing more I can say about it, I love it :-)

Well I guess that's everything. So what about you now? ;-)

Alert moderator
Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,153 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2009/11/30 :  17:36:40  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Happy Hardcore: 1997-2000
Not really fund of the really early stuff, but basicly alot of the Brisk, Fade, Scott Brown and Vinylgroover stuff from later 90's represents what got me into (Happy) Hardcore.
Examples:
DJ Frantic - Dimensions / 2nd Dimension
Interstate - Forever Yours (actually 2001, but sounds very Scott Brown '99ish)
Elevate - All that You can See and Hear

Freeform Hardcore: 2001-2004
The very early Freeform (like Sharkey's stuff on Bonkers 3 and onward) had it charm, I'm more for the freeform released around 2002-2004. The more sinister it sounded, the better :)
Alot of the current freeform makes me wanna puke :/
Examples:
Sharkey & Eclipse - Outta Control
Sharkey & K Complex - Delusion
Shanty Tazz & Concept - Beast of Hardcore
- Here's a later one that I really like
Level 13 - Exaltation

'Trancecore' Bonkers 7
People could always debate what's really trancecore. If it was the stuff UFO and Ramos used to play/make at the end of the 90's, but to me, Hixxy's and Dougal's mix on Bonkers 7 will always be more 'common' trancier hardcore than freeform.
Examples:
Force & Styles - Heart of Africa
Hixxy & UFO (In-iki & El Niño) - Remembrance
Hixxy & UFO ft Elaine (Ferris & Arrantz) - X=Y

Makina: 1999-2004
what can I say? extremely cheesy vocals, the buzz sound and the sheer speed Makina can be played at appeals to me, even it sounds shit at times :P
Examples:
Dani/Dany BPM - Home
Alex Laser & Lobo vs Global DJ's - Skyscrapers
Flashback - Extasia 2002
The Gladiators – Now We Are Free

Japanese: 2002-2009
Most of the Japanese stuff is usually varied, but I will keep it here anyways.
Examples:
Omega Force - Stay Wizout You (UK Hardcore)
DJ Sharpnel - Fake Promise (Happy)
DJ Sharpnel - Piece of Poetry (Happy)
DJ Sharpnel - Blue Betrayal (Gabber)

UK Hardcore 2001-2004
I can't really say what I like with this music. It was only natural that Happy Hardcore would evolve sometime. But of the UK Hardcore genre, I prefer the earliest stuff.
Example:
DJ UFO - Music Makers
Sonic Infinity - A New Beginning (Dj ElectriX 2005 exclusive remix)
Bang! - Fall to Sleep (Phosphor & Millenium Bugg remix)

Finnish Freeform
90% of what ever Alek Száhala made :)

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Samination on 2009/11/30 17:39:01
Smoogie
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
6,502 posts
Posted - 2009/11/30 :  17:43:52  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Smoogie's homepage
Happy Hardcore: 1993-1999 although it was it's best in 95/96
Gabber: 1992-1997
Bouncy Techno: 1993-1996 although there was very little afterwards
Breakbeat 1991-1994. It got too happy or too much like Jungle afterwards
Freform 2002-2009. One of the few good styles being made these days
Upfront/UK Hardcore 2002-2005. Went way too commercial afterwards!

FingazMc
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
2,761 posts
FingazMc has attended 28 events
Posted - 2009/11/30 :  17:47:15  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit FingazMc's homepage
Ska
80's

:)

frozt

United States
372 posts
frozt has attended 1 event
Posted - 2009/11/30 :  22:14:06  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit frozt's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Smoogie:
Gabber: 1992-1997

yes.

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2009/11/30 :  23:35:41  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
hmmm interesting

mostly stuff from the 90s...but as i listen to most everything its going to take ages to pin-point everything and individual eras etc etc...to name a few...

i think trance had its time between 1995 - 2002

euro-dance/general dance, hands down it was 1990 - 1999 after that the "commerical" dance scene went to crap

sash went downhill in the middle of his second album....DJ Quicksilver went down hill after his first album....

näkkk
Advanced Member

Norway
755 posts

16 hardcore releases
näkkk is a site donation subscriber
Posted - 2009/12/01 :  18:19:49  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit näkkk's homepage
Gabber - I think the newer kick drums sound way cooler than old school ones, so I'll say 2002-present
Freeform - Bonkers 10 was released in 2003, was it? If that's the case, 2003-present
Happy hardcore - The 90s. I guess nobody uses the term 'happy hardcore' to describe their tracks anymore, even if they have a happy feeling, so I just chose the 90s
Breakbeat hardcore - 2005-present
Trance - 99-02
DnB - Haven't heard much old dnb so I'll just say 2002-present
Punk rock - Late 70s-early 80s. Some early/mid 90s
Emo - 1983/84, 1990-95 and this album from 2000. You've all probably heard the stuff released since then
Power metal - Generally late 80s/early 90s (Blind Guardian - Somewhere Far Beyond etc)

I've probably forgotten some genres but I don't care and I doubt anyone else does :p

Samination
Advanced Member

Sweden
13,153 posts

195 hardcore releases
Samination has attended 17 events
Posted - 2009/12/01 :  19:45:38  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Samination's homepage
Here's the non-hardcore list then :)

Power/Symphonic/'Filmscore' Metal
Can't say I've heard much. I do have most albums by Rhapsody/Rhapsody of Fire, and I canit wait for the next one that's out in march. But I think im getting into som DragonForce too.

http://samination.se/
---------------------------------------------

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.81 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page