Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Need synth kick help

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Rayovac
Advanced Member

United States
2,049 posts
Rayovac has donated money to the site
Posted - 2009/11/24 :  00:01:46  Show profile Send a private message
Well after a read through my Massive manual I figured out how to make cool synth kicks with it :D but I'm stuck. :(

http://imgur.com/2CYYL.png

That's what I've got so far. A few questions:

1. I also have two VEC kicks there as you can see - One acting as a high end (with it's low end chopped off), and one acting as a low end (with it's high end cut out). Is this even necessary if you can make a good synth kick?
2. How do you think I could get my synth kick to be more, well, punchy (listen)?
3. Finally, any thoughts on how I could imitate this kind of sound? I don't want to copy it though, I want to use it as a starting point to work from.

Danke in advance.

This also means "People read."

Alert moderator

Edited by - Rayovac on 2009/11/24 00:02:31
Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2009/11/24 :  01:57:12  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Rayovac:

3. Finally, any thoughts on how I could imitate this kind of sound? I don't want to copy it though, I want to use it as a starting point to work from.

That sounds like a 909 with a lot of distortion. Download this VST: http://www.kvraudio.com/get/757.html you can get some really nice sounds out of it when used with a kick.

Also try playing around with Camel Crusher & Blood Overdrive: http://www.wavosaur.com/vst/distortion-plugins.php

Alert moderator Go to top of page
Edited by - Mortis on 2009/11/24 02:00:07
Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2009/11/24 :  02:49:32  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
The kick that you want to re-create would have probably started from a 909. However, there is no way it would sound that way straight out of the synth so don't be discouraged by the fact that you can't get yours to sound the same. It takes quite alot of experiance with audio processing to get that kind of result.

Rayovac
Advanced Member

United States
2,049 posts
Rayovac has donated money to the site
Posted - 2009/11/24 :  19:12:05  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Rayovac's homepage
Don't take this the wrong way but are you absolutely sure that one kick started life as a stock 909? Because I certainly have used distortion techniques, and none of them yield the result I'm after. I can certainly get some good "oldschool" kicks, although when I try to get them like the one in the song I linked to, it just becomes gabber-esque (when using camelphat).

This also means "People read."

Edited by - Rayovac on 2009/11/24 19:14:12
Dain-Ja
Advanced Member

Canada
1,983 posts
Dain-Ja has attended 11 events
Posted - 2009/11/24 :  21:27:35  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Dain-Ja's homepage
quote:
Don't take this the wrong way but are you absolutely sure that one kick started life as a stock 909? Because I certainly have used distortion techniques, and none of them yield the result I'm after. I can certainly get some good "oldschool" kicks, although when I try to get them like the one in the song I linked to, it just becomes gabber-esque (when using camelphat).

the old skool gabber sound is 909 + load of effects

the nu skool gabber sound is usually synth kicks. you can use 3osc + load of FL effects and get good results

I don't produce gabber but I collab'd on a gabber track with a producer that used FL for it once

Visit makemeRUSH.com for music from the ONLY North American hardcore label pressing vinyl!

FREE track every Monday: http://www.rushdeliveryrecords.com/?p=229

Hard2Get
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
12,837 posts
Hard2Get has attended 21 events
Posted - 2009/11/25 :  18:17:01  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Hard2Get's homepage
quote:

No, not at all. It's just very likely. Lots of drum machines could acheive a similar sound though so it dosn't really make much difference either way. Like i said, the key is in the processing of the sample not the sample itself. Also bear in mind that back then people were proccessing with outboard equipment which sounds very different to proccessing inside a computer.

Edited by - Hard2Get on 2009/11/25 18:18:02

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.27 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page