Email Us!
Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk

Wav to Midi in Cubase 5? Help Please!

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
Grantmusic
Starting Member

United States
6 posts
Posted - 2009/11/19 :  15:11:39  Show profile Send a private message
Hello I did go and make the Jump to Cubase 5! :) However the learning curve seems to be never ending. I also did pick up the book how to make a noise and read it cover to cover which indeed helped with the actual music synthesis side of things. I have a question though, if this is even possible. I have a Wav sample (I also have it as a Rex loop so if its possible to do this in recycle It would be worth getting recycle for just this purpose.) Its just a simple wav file dry sounds nothing fancy no fx on the sample. I am trying to extract the notation of the sample in midi format. (If that's even possible?) My First approach was to use Vari audio and extract to midi however it how many notes and weird midi data that the actual wav sample did not have. (I chose the options Just notes no pitch bend data.) Is there some sort of VST or tool in or outside of cubase to take the audio wav sample and extract the midi data?

Thanks for your help. (Also if there's a big book with all the answers to Cubase 5 point me in that direction.)

Alert moderator
Mortis
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
7,493 posts

341 hardcore releases
Mortis has donated money to the site Mortis has attended 7 events
Posted - 2009/11/19 :  15:40:25  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Mortis's homepage
It's really difficult to make a midi out of a wav. I use Widi Pro when I want to do it but it takes a lot of editing to get the midi arranged correctly. Every midi program I've used make notes out of reverb, delay and some times silence too. Best bet is to create the midi and edit it as best you can. So far my search for a program that can do what your asking has turned up no decent results. Maybe try Melodyne?

Alert moderator Go to top of page
DJ_FunDaBounce
Advanced Member

Colombia
1,998 posts
Posted - 2009/11/19 :  18:06:53  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit DJ_FunDaBounce's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Mortis:
...Maybe try Melodyne?

Yes. They just launched the newest version of their software which, as I understand it, does what you want.

as for the big book of cubase, try www.ush.net

http://www.brightspeedrecordings.com/

Meathead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
4,217 posts
Posted - 2009/11/19 :  18:44:08  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Meathead's homepage
If i've understood you right what you need to do is; double click the wav audio file this will bring up the waveform in it's own box go to the VariAudio tab clcik pitch & warp to analyze the waveform and figure the pitch then down to function sand extract midi. Depending on what the waveform is this will result in either a very accurate midi notation or a basic guide to go off and edit to fit. no need to buy Melodyne really when VariAudio does the job. Oh and, er, RTFM! :)

"Music creates order out of chaos; for rhythm imposes unanimity upon the divergent, melody imposes continuity upon the disjointed, and harmony imposes compatibility upon the incongruous." -Sir Yehudi Menuhin

Edited by - Meathead on 2009/11/19 18:46:28

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 0.77 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page