Username: Password:

Lost password
 Remember my login 

All forums
 Music production & Gear talk
 Moved: 

Best thing to come out for DJ's since Technics

Printer friendly

All users can post new topics in this forum. All users can reply to topics in this forum

Author Thread  
snerkler

United Kingdom
452 posts
Posted - 2009/11/17 :  08:30:12  Show profile Send a private message
NOw I'm a bit behind the times, and the following has been out for a few years, but I have only just discovered it, and find it truly amazing.

For a while now I've been contemplating getting a CD/MP3 deck as have so many tracks on CD and MP3 that either I can't find on vinyl, or not willing to pay the price (seen one vinyl at £75). I've never wanted CD decks because don't believe it is true DJing, but due to the reason above resigned myself to the fact that I'd have to get some.

However, I was then introduced to Rane Serato Scratch and it has have solved all my problems. For you that don't know what this is it's a digital vinyl system/software. It allows you to control all your music on a laptop/computer using vinyl on your own decks.

It is EXACTLY like playing vinyl (becasue you are), and I must stress this point, operates and works EXACTLY the same as mixing with vinyl. I have been DJing for nearly 15 years, and I cannot tell any difference. There is no delay so can scratch, cue, mix exactly as though you're playing with your original vinyl. It is absolutely ingenious. It has saved me from the dilema of wanting to play MP3's, but not wanting a CD/MP3 decks. Also I can now edit tracks, save them as MP3 and use them. Therefore if there's a section in a track I don't like I can just cut it out, or if there's no intro or outro I can now put one in to make it easier to mix.

Plus it's saved me a heap of money. For a DECENT CD/MP3 deck it would have cost upwards of £750 per deck, whereas the software cost a little over £400. Now it's not exactly cheap, but it's saved me over £1000, and I can still DJ 'properly'. There are some seriously clever people out there.

Alert moderator

Edited by - Triquatra on 2009/11/17 13:17:21
ABET
Average Member

United Kingdom
233 posts
ABET has attended 4 events
Posted - 2009/11/17 :  09:32:54  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit ABET's homepage
I think its wrong to say that no DJ who uses cdj's is a 'real' dj.

Serato is a long way round a short problem imho. I think its good for home use but it will never become the club standard. Having said that I would love to have a play some time :)

Alert moderator Go to top of page
snerkler

United Kingdom
452 posts
Posted - 2009/11/17 :  10:11:23  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit snerkler's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ABET:
I think its wrong to say that no DJ who uses cdj's is a 'real' dj.

Serato is a long way round a short problem imho. I think its good for home use but it will never become the club standard. Having said that I would love to have a play some time :)

I didn't say people weren't real DJ's, just that I don't think that using CD/MP3 decks is true DJing, meaning in it's true-est form. I consider using CD/MP3 decks is a progression of Pure DJing, and is obviously the future, but still believe there are fundemental parts of DJing that you just can't get with CD/MP3 decks.

As for Serato only being good for home use, I don't think that's true. Many, many hip hop DJ's use Serato for live gigs around the world. In fact Jazzy Jeff played to a live crowd of 2 billion (I think the figure was) people (over live TV)

Project-Industrial
Advanced Member

Netherlands
2,481 posts

33 hardcore releases
Project-Industrial has attended 24 events
Posted - 2009/11/17 :  10:26:10  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Project-Industrial's homepage
if we talk bout the purest form of dj'ing then we have to go back to these things:

look it up :) its wot the first dj (ray.. something.. at age 16 or so?) used lol :)

dj'ing comes in lotsa forms and i gotta say after loosing my turntables nd stuff im happy there's equitment like dj controllers.. recently bought the behringer bcd 2000 (which is a dj controller) and i gotta say im glad these things exist as they come real cheap :) its still the same as working with vinyl.. ya gotta beatmatch and do a proper mix between the tracks.. if your thinking of buying serato i strongly advice you to do so. opens up a shitload of possibilities. and infact there are a lot of dj's (mainly in the house/club/dance/trance scenes) that use these kinda things.

http://www.project-industrial.com
http://www.discogs.com/label/Furious+Monkey+Records
http://www.furiousmonkeyrecords.com/

snerkler

United Kingdom
452 posts
Posted - 2009/11/17 :  10:43:36  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit snerkler's homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Project-Industrial:
if we talk bout the purest form of dj'ing then we have to go back to these things:

Wow, gotta get me one of them lol

Triquatra

United Kingdom
12,635 posts
Triquatra is a site donation subscriber Triquatra has attended 26 events
Posted - 2009/11/17 :  12:32:16  Show profile  Send a private message  Visit Triquatra's homepage
i'll get some vinyl emulation software someday - but its a bit pricey

just going to stick with playing real vinyl for the minute :)

to me its alot like blu ray switch - hard to explain but basically it comes down to anything past 2005 i will buy on mp3, unless in the rare case (these days) the song is actually merits purchasing the vinyl

anything pre 2005 - Vinyl

least it means that one day...ONE DAY i will complete my vinyl collection haha

Edited by - Triquatra on 2009/11/17 13:37:08

New PostPost Reply
 Printer friendly
  Verified artist
   Donating member How to donate

It took 1.11 ninja's to process this page!

HappyHardcore.com

1999 - 2024 HappyHardcore.com
audio: PRS for music. Build: 3.1.73.1

Go to top of page